bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

View Poll Results: Will you be getting Live Cockpit Pro ($1100)
Yes, I'll be getting the HUD 119 69.59%
Nope, not worth the money or not interested 52 30.41%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

10-26-2022, 08:25 PM   #23
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Ain't no way I'm passing on this cool feature that's finally available on a 2 Series - especially since it's the M version. Then possible have to live with regrets.

At first, my stepdad didn't want to pay for the head-up display option on his new Acura RDX but now it's his favorite feature in the vehicle. Don't sleep on this option 😉

Damn! What a sales pitch! Maybe I SHOULD tick the box 🤔
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
Biimmer70.00
      10-26-2022, 08:30 PM   #24
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I don't think I've used the speedometer in the gauge cluster since I got a car with HUD in 2014. First world problem for sure, but when I use someone else's car it feels like 1988 checking my speed all the way down in the cluster.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      10-26-2022, 08:37 PM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJLag420 View Post
Quote:
Ain't no way I'm passing on this cool feature that's finally available on a 2 Series - especially since it's the M version. Then possible have to live with regrets.

At first, my stepdad didn't want to pay for the head-up display option on his new Acura RDX but now it's his favorite feature in the vehicle. Don't sleep on this option 😉

Damn! What a sales pitch! Maybe I SHOULD tick the box 🤔
Yea thanks.

My stepdad could more than afford the up-charge but being naturally frugal, he saw it as unnecessary fluff but Acura pulled a slick one by bundling the remote start option (which he wasn't flexible on) with the head-up display feature. So it was a forced option. Now, he loves that he can see the vehicle details and his music selection without having to look at the instrument cluster.

Point was, people a quick to dismiss an actual useful feature without taking the time to educate themselves on its potential benefits, which they end up missing out on.

At least that's my perception.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:01 PM   #26
ElHeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:

Thank you! I was suspecting there was more to it. The HUD in the G82 wasn't all that great. I test drove a ZL1 and was shocked at how much better the HUD was in it. That being said, I'm still going to spec it. It's nice once you get used to it but I wish BMW's HUD was as good as what I was in the ZL1.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      10-26-2022, 10:27 PM   #27
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedan

At first HUD was distracting, but once I learned how to change all of the settings to only show the bits I needed and dim it, it was much easier to look past it once I needed. The other benefit is a very quick check of speed doesn't require looking away from the road.

I'm not looking forward to the new I drive 8, and agree with previous posts that the HUD would be much easier to look at than a plethora of lcd screens.

I also agree with the statement that not selecting it as an option might be dating the car and limiting prospective buyers in the future.

It's not too pricey of an option with a lot of potential, and can pretty much be turned off if you don't love it (or dimmed and gradually turned up until you adjust).

At first I hated it and thought it was pointless, but think it will be absolutely an asset in this car as I'd prefer to never take my eyes off of the road.
Appreciate 1
Biimmer70.00
      10-27-2022, 12:52 AM   #28
jordan24c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 EB 240, G87 M2 (preodered)

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [10.00]
I feel like its something I would want for the cool factor but its not necessary in my mind.

Can anyone comment on whether polarized glasses hinder the user's ability to see the HUD at all? I don't think it would have an effect but would also be pretty upset to find out they make it harder to see.
      10-27-2022, 01:12 AM   #29
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan24c View Post
I feel like its something I would want for the cool factor but its not necessary in my mind.

Can anyone comment on whether polarized glasses hinder the user's ability to see the HUD at all? I don't think it would have an effect but would also be pretty upset to find out they make it harder to see.

My polarized sunglasses completely cancel our the HUD on my g01 X3. The way the HUD projects into the glass somehow doesn't translate through polarized glasses.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 06:35 AM   #30
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan24c View Post

In my Mazda CX50, they cancel out the HUD almost completely, and I'm not switching sunglasses to use the HUD. I find the HUD annoying, and unfortunately it can't be turned off in the Mazda, so I have it dimmed and lowered as far as it will go out of view.

YMMV
      10-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #31
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0m0 View Post
My polarized sunglasses completely cancel our the HUD on my g01 X3. The way the HUD projects into the glass somehow doesn't translate through polarized glasses.
Yes, BUT if you adjust the HUD angle witin iDrive you can rectify the issue.

For ID7, but adjustability for HUD has been around for quite some time.

Last edited by T_U_D; 10-27-2022 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 08:37 AM   #32
jordan24c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 EB 240, G87 M2 (preodered)

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
Interesting, I'll have to see if my dealer has any cars with a HUD so I can go try. Glad it's still possible to use though.

Video is super helpful, I think that changes my mind. Guess we'll see what the MP Catalog pricing looks like and then I'll make the ultimate decision. I'm #4 in line so I imagine I probably have some time to decide.

Last edited by jordan24c; 10-27-2022 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6679.50
      10-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #33
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Of all the changes in tech over the last decade or so HUD has been the single best one for me. I'm one of those people that can lose track of speed when driving in the city so having vehicle speed in my peripheral vision is a game changer. I also really like that I can cycle through songs on music playlists while keeping my eye on the road.
Appreciate 2
T_U_D6679.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      10-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #34
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Of all the changes in tech over the last decade or so HUD has been the single best one for me. I'm one of those people that can lose track of speed when driving in the city so having vehicle speed in my peripheral vision is a game changer. I also really like that I can cycle through songs on music playlists while keeping my eye on the road.
That is why I always use my cruise control where I live. Many photo radar and these cars are too easy to drive faster than allowed.

I will miss the cruise control stalk on my E90. Returning to steering wheel button like my E46s will feel like a step back.

2023 G87 ///M2 (production began Jul 4th 2023)
2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | 6MT | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #35
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's great to know, I just accepted that it didn't work and move on. I would have never noticed this cuz the HUD being tilted bothers the crap out of me... maybe I will find an angle that works with the road okay. I tend to not wear my sunglasses in my X3 since it's tinted pretty dark, unless the angle of the sun is right through the windshield. My 135i is different though since my face seems so much closer to the windshield.
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6679.50
      10-27-2022, 09:03 PM   #36
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
My wife’s Mazda CX-5 has HUD. I really like it and miss it on mu M2. I will definitely get it on my next BMW.
      10-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #37
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
I am getting it because from what I have heard from people with M240s and this feature is when you get use it you never use the regular tach. In my current car I have the digital numbers for speed and I never look at the tach. However I will be getting a manual so maybe I might use both.

But the fact that the maps show up in it and speed limit which I use in my maps app is awesome
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #38
Caerus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Also the HUD is very useful for changing audio channels. With the right hand on steering wheel, just scroll with thumb to change channels while looking at the HUD. Very easy and convenient and maintains your eyes on the road. Not as distracting looking down at the center screen.

I am constantly using the HUD all the time while driving my M240ix. A must for sure for the M2 which should be the same system I assume.

Last edited by Caerus; 10-31-2022 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      11-02-2022, 01:00 AM   #39
DarkNight707
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 (2024),BMW E82(2009)-s

Quote:

That rotation option is a game changer for me. I love my polarized sunglasses too much. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6679.50
      11-02-2022, 08:08 AM   #40
AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Seems like for $1100 you're essentially paying for just the head-up display despite the phrasing "Live Cockpit Pro (including HUD)".

Are you equipping your G87 with it?
Can't remember the last time I looked at my old fashioned cluster to see how fast I was going. HUD is a must for me. It might also affect resale value. People tend to look for it since it's part of the executive package on other models
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #41
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdnanH35 View Post
It might also affect resale value. People tend to look for it since it's part of the executive package on other models
This.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #42
Ajax30za
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Seems like for $1100 you're essentially paying for just the head-up display despite the phrasing "Live Cockpit Pro (including HUD)".

Are you equipping your G87 with it?
Can't remember the last time I looked at my old fashioned cluster to see how fast I was going. HUD is a must for me. It might also affect resale value. People tend to look for it since it's part of the executive package on other models
Totally agree. Had a HUD in my Camaro that I just sold and whenever I now drive my wife's SUV without a HUD, it just doesn't feel right.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #43
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Respectfully disagree on the resale part. Will manual transmission help resale? Sure. Would the carbon roof be a must-have option for the enthusiast chasing an M car? Probably. Is the HUD as important as the first two to the average enthusiast buyer? Highly unlikely.

Would HUD be a desirable option for you or many others? Yes but so is the every other option on the option list. For me I would not consider a car without the heated steering wheel and probably most people living in areas with colder winter temperatures will be the same way. Does that mean an M car without the heated steering wheel depreciate more or will have a hard tell to sell second hand. I doubt that.
      11-02-2022, 11:26 AM   #44
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Respectfully disagree on the resale part. Will manual transmission help resale? Sure. Would the carbon roof be a must-have option for the enthusiast chasing an M car? Probably. Is the HUD as important as the first two to the average enthusiast buyer? Highly unlikely.

Would HUD be a desirable option for you or many others? Yes but so is the every other option on the option list. For me I would not consider a car without the heated steering wheel and probably most people living in areas with colder winter temperatures will be the same way. Does that mean an M car without the heated steering wheel depreciate more or will have a hard tell to sell second hand. I doubt that.
The issue at hand is that you are pre-dating a vehicle without it as eventually it will become a standard feature like how the now omitted CD player did, like GPS and iDrive have. It is just a matter of time.

The heated steering wheel is definitely more of a regionally selected option as it is not a diehard necessity in the SE and the SW. Given the minuscule price it cost to add it, it is somewhat foolish not check the box regardless of where you reside.

Last edited by T_U_D; 11-02-2022 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0