bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

View Poll Results: Will you be getting Live Cockpit Pro ($1100)
Yes, I'll be getting the HUD 119 69.59%
Nope, not worth the money or not interested 52 30.41%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

01-12-2023, 11:06 AM   #67
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I've always found the HUD too distracting and just never got used to it. I won't be getting it on the G87 and will instead put that $$$ towards a CF roof.
I’ve grown tired of it in my M240. I optioned it at first for the G87 but then decided to drop it and get CF interior trim
Appreciate 2
Tag18159.50
T_U_D6679.50
      01-12-2023, 11:51 AM   #68
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Did we ever determine if the $1100 added anything other than HUD? I still have not been unable to locate anything internally.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 11:57 AM   #69
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
Did we ever determine if the $1100 added anything other than HUD? I still have not been unable to locate anything internally.
BMW is always confusing with their terminology. I remember us having this very conversation and believe it was Game who added some context as to what you get with Live Cockpit Pro in a different thread. I don't remember the extent of it though. All I care about are the shift lights and once I found you can still see them in the cluster without the HUD I knew I would not get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 01:09 PM   #70
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
BMW is always confusing with their terminology. I remember us having this very conversation and believe it was Game who added some context as to what you get with Live Cockpit Pro in a different thread. I don't remember the extent of it though. All I care about are the shift lights and once I found you can still see them in the cluster without the HUD I knew I would not get it.
Yeah I asked my regional product trainer who confirmed it was just the HUD.

Per the press release:

BMW Maps navigation system as standard, M-specific Head-Up Display as an option.

The cloud-based BMW Maps navigation system forms part of the standard BMW Live Cockpit Plus. The latest generation of this navigation system enables fast route calculation based on precise real-time traffic data transmitted at short intervals. The optional BMW Live Cockpit Professional adds the BMW Head-Up Display with M specific content.
      01-12-2023, 01:14 PM   #71
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Yeah I asked my regional product trainer who confirmed it was just the HUD.

Per the press release:

BMW Maps navigation system as standard, M-specific Head-Up Display as an option.

The cloud-based BMW Maps navigation system forms part of the standard BMW Live Cockpit Plus. The latest generation of this navigation system enables fast route calculation based on precise real-time traffic data transmitted at short intervals. The optional BMW Live Cockpit Professional adds the BMW Head-Up Display with M specific content.
Yeah so the question still stands. This is the same description when you click it as an option.

I may just save myself $1100 though.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 01:18 PM   #72
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
Yeah so the question still stands. This is the same description when you click it as an option.

I may just save myself $1100 though.

Yes, I might remove it as well. On the fence for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 03:04 PM   #73
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

If this option is truly only the HUD its a rip off I'll begrudgingly pay for because I love having a HUD.

However my understanding (probably wrong) is that you do not get M Drive Professional with out opting for the Live Cockpit Pro in the M2. My reason for thinking this is that the M4 has M Drive Professional as an option for $900 and I just can't see how its standard in the M2 and not the M4. Meanwhile the Live Cockpit Pro option in the M2 is priced at $1100 which is crazy expensive for just the HUD alone. The HUD is also not an option for the M4 so I assume its standard equipment. It makes sense to me that the high cost of Live Cockpit Pro option in the M2 is actually adding both the HUD and M Drive Professional.

Hopefully someone can tell me why I am wrong, but M Drive Professional is a lot more important than the HUD so I'd want to be super sure about this before choosing to skip the option.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 03:45 PM   #74
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
If this option is truly only the HUD its a rip off I'll begrudgingly pay for because I love having a HUD.

However my understanding (probably wrong) is that you do not get M Drive Professional with out opting for the Live Cockpit Pro in the M2. My reason for thinking this is that the M4 has M Drive Professional as an option for $900 and I just can't see how its standard in the M2 and not the M4. Meanwhile the Live Cockpit Pro option in the M2 is priced at $1100 which is crazy expensive for just the HUD alone. The HUD is also not an option for the M4 so I assume its standard equipment. It makes sense to me that the high cost of Live Cockpit Pro option in the M2 is actually adding both the HUD and M Drive Professional.

Hopefully someone can tell me why I am wrong, but M Drive Professional is a lot more important than the HUD so I'd want to be super sure about this before choosing to skip the option.
This and the the carbon package adding the $2500 M Drivers package.
A cheap add on HUD is like $100
And you can keep the M Drivers and save me like $3000.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 03:54 PM   #75
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post

M drive professional is standard on the m2 you don't need to get the hud

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 1
Tag18159.50
      01-12-2023, 04:13 PM   #76
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
deladude266.00
      01-14-2023, 08:10 AM   #77
theblackfalcon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini JCW, Ford F150, BMW X545e

I've had it on several cars now including 23 X5, which I assume would be similar to M2. I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred for it. I largely ignore it and find it to be a distraction. I pay attention to the gauges in front me already.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 01:21 PM   #78
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackfalcon View Post
I've had it on several cars now including 23 X5, which I assume would be similar to M2. I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred for it. I largely ignore it and find it to be a distraction. I pay attention to the gauges in front me already.
That's why to me $1100 is just not worth it.
      01-14-2023, 03:02 PM   #79
FryCookOnVenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 (Preorder), Toyota 4Runner

It's a cool feature, but it's not for me.

I find it distracting and more importantly, it can't be seen when wearing polarized sunglasses, which is most of my daytime driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 03:10 PM   #80
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryCookOnVenus View Post
It's a cool feature, but it's not for me.

I find it distracting and more importantly, it can't be seen when wearing polarized sunglasses, which is most of my daytime driving.

FYI, HUD can be seen with polarized sunglasses when the angle is changed within iDrive
Appreciate 1
SCCThree816.00
      01-14-2023, 03:28 PM   #81
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
FYI, HUD can be seen with polarized sunglasses when the angle is changed within iDrive
I tried this after reading your suggestion, and with lightly tinted sunglasses the hud was barely visible. I turned up the brightness all of the way and I could hardly see the hud. Then once I took off my sunglasses it was way too bright. I am going to try again with a different pair of sunglasses sometime, as the ones I used have a polarized spray, which might have effected the results. So yes you can rotate the angle of the hud, but ymmv for the actual visibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 03:33 PM   #82
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0m0 View Post
I tried this after reading your suggestion, and with lightly tinted sunglasses the hud was barely visible. I turned up the brightness all of the way and I could hardly see the hud. Then once I took off my sunglasses it was way too bright. I am going to try again with a different pair of sunglasses sometime, as the ones I used have a polarized spray, which might have effected the results. So yes you can rotate the angle of the hud, but ymmv for the actual visibility.
ID7. Works with ID5 and ID6 as well. You want to adjust the rotation.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 04:01 PM   #83
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ID7. Works with ID5 and ID6 as well. You want to adjust the rotation.

I did adjust the rotation, it made it appear, but the mild tint on my sunglasses left it hardly visible.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 04:18 PM   #84
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Threw it back on my order because I'm an indecisive SOB.
      01-16-2023, 04:28 PM   #85
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Threw it back on my order because I'm an indecisive SOB.
Ha! I am exactly the same. I keep messing with my build too. I tell myself I’m done, that’s it and then 12 to 24 hours later I am considering another change.
Appreciate 1
Game7408.50
      01-16-2023, 04:36 PM   #86
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ha! I am exactly the same. I keep messing with my build too. I tell myself I’m done, that’s it and then 12 to 24 hours later I am considering another change.
I think this was the last option I was debating on...but we'll see what my brain comes up with next week.
      01-16-2023, 08:52 PM   #87
sl0m0
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think this was the last option I was debating on...but we'll see what my brain comes up with next week.
If it's an option I'm on the fence on I just consider if it's going to date the car in the future, or if the investment in the option will help in resale value later. I was on the fence about wireless charging, but I've spent about $100 on cords alone in the past year because a kid took my cord out of my car and did not return it and I was down to 3%. So if that wireless charger saves me that frustration a few times it's worth it. I don't plan to use it regularly, but worth the investment especially for future resale. Similar thing for hud, I like it, but generally use it rarely. But if my wife is driving I don't want her looking all of the way down to the dash. So the few times I need it and the chance of not dating the car make it worth adding.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 09:00 PM   #88
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0m0 View Post
If it's an option I'm on the fence on I just consider if it's going to date the car in the future, or if the investment in the option will help in resale value later. I was on the fence about wireless charging, but I've spent about $100 on cords alone in the past year because a kid took my cord out of my car and did not return it and I was down to 3%. So if that wireless charger saves me that frustration a few times it's worth it. I don't plan to use it regularly, but worth the investment especially for future resale. Similar thing for hud, I like it, but generally use it rarely. But if my wife is driving I don't want her looking all of the way down to the dash. So the few times I need it and the chance of not dating the car make it worth adding.

The wireless charging is one of two options that are definitely not worth the price of admission. The other would be the personal eSim.

The functionality of the wireless charging is subpar as well. It has been that way across the board at BMW.
Appreciate 0