BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

03-04-2024, 09:45 AM   #1
KindaSortaTerrible
Rep
Drives: 21 Civic Type R

Anyone else find manual gearing to be suboptimal for city driving?

New G87 driver here, coming from a Civic Type R. For context, the type R was my first manual and I put around 17k miles on it, and I’ve put less than 1k miles on the M2. So, I’m still a noob manual driver.

That said, so far the manual gearing seems better suited to speed and not really to stop and go city driving. Clutch is kinda weird when getting into first, hard to get that 1-2 gear shift smooth (although I’m getting there), and it can be hard to find the appropriate gear for low low speed traffic. 1st gear can be a bit jerky with heavy engine braking, as expected, but I feel like I’m lugging the engine a bit at really low speeds in 2nd gear. In fact I almost stalled entering my parking garage at work yesterday.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:37 AM   #2
LCDRJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

I feel that first gear is a bit short. (but for performance, not smoothness)

The biggest issue is that by the time you reach redline, the boost is only just building....and then you have to shift. It is probably why the G80 auto starts in second gear.

Second gear is fine. Maybe also a tad short, but otherwise good. For autocross, you need second to hit 70 or so to not be ridiculous. But honestly, I don't really have any issue with urban driving and the 6-speed. I never lug/chug/stall are have a glitchy 1-2 shift. My tranny is smooth as butter.

Little 4 bangers like the Civic have huge amounts of rev hang and heavy flywheels, so they feel smoother at low speeds, My Golf R was smooth as butter too.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:30 AM   #3
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaSortaTerrible View Post
New G87 driver here, coming from a Civic Type R. For context, the type R was my first manual and I put around 17k miles on it, and I’ve put less than 1k miles on the M2. So, I’m still a noob manual driver.

That said, so far the manual gearing seems better suited to speed and not really to stop and go city driving. Clutch is kinda weird when getting into first, hard to get that 1-2 gear shift smooth (although I’m getting there), and it can be hard to find the appropriate gear for low low speed traffic. 1st gear can be a bit jerky with heavy engine braking, as expected, but I feel like I’m lugging the engine a bit at really low speeds in 2nd gear. In fact I almost stalled entering my parking garage at work yesterday.

What do you guys think?
Well it is more of a performance car than the civic, so you are correct to think that the civic gear ratio is better suited for the city and that the M2 G87 is better for higher speeds.

That being said, 1st gear is temperamental and short. You don’t want to lug your engine below 13-15mph whilst in 2nd. It’s okay to cruise around at 3-4k rpm in 1st if need be. That’s certainly better than slowly straining engine in 2nd.

What mode are you driving around in if I may ask? If you’re in Sport or Sport+, yeah it’s going to want to move through gears, hence why you may receive some jerk movement at lower speeds and lower gears.

What do you mean clutch is “kind of weird”? Like the catch point is weird? Your catch point is high up, this is why a lot of guys throw the clutch stops in from Burger tuning to shorten the bite gap.

She doesn’t like to move on flat surface without giving her about 1-1.5k rpm in sport+ so you’ll receive a lot of what’s called “chattering” if you’re below the optimal rpm while coming off the clutch.

Also- try not to come off too slow. Once she catches, let it go or you’ll slip too much.
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2024, 12:24 PM   #4
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
What do you mean clutch is “kind of weird”? Like the catch point is weird? Your catch point is high up, this is why a lot of guys throw the clutch stops in from Burger tuning to shorten the bite gap.
This is key. 2 manual BMWs and clutch grabbed high up making engaging first a bit weird sometimes, and if your foot is off the floor while engaging its going to be jerky. Completely resolved with the BMS clutch stop.

I was fortunate in that I was able to test drive a used manual M2 at my dealer (which they wanted MSRP price for with 4500K miles) and the clutch does the exact same thing my manual M3s did - very high engagement point. I'm sure this varies from car to car to some extent but in general the clutch engagement point is high.

I'd recommend dropping the $12 or whatever it is and at least try one of the BMS clutch stops, I already have one sitting here waiting for when my car arrives because I already know I will need it for my preference. It is also adjustable (add or remove washers).

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71400.00
      03-04-2024, 12:45 PM   #5
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I vastly prefer my E92 M3 6MT to G87 M2 in city driving for this reason, just because the revs drop so much faster with the S65 V8. However, G87 pulls like Shinkansen once it gets going, so I prefer it to E92 for highway driving.
      03-04-2024, 01:05 PM   #6
abrandonment
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I mean of course it is.. but like everything in life it's a trade off.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16581.00
      03-04-2024, 01:27 PM   #7
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post

She doesn’t like to move on flat surface without giving her about 1-1.5k rpm in sport+ so you’ll receive a lot of what’s called “chattering” if you’re below the optimal rpm while coming off the clutch.
I am guilty of causing a lot of this chattering. Struggling to find the right amount of throttle when releasing the clutch, most times it's not enough or way too much. Only 1350 miles in and I'm sure it will get easier.
Geighty71400.00
mrdudley356.50
      03-04-2024, 01:55 PM   #8
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I am guilty of causing a lot of this chattering. Struggling to find the right amount of throttle when releasing the clutch, most times it's not enough or way too much. Only 1350 miles in and I'm sure it will get easier.
It gets easier the more you’re in the car.

Also- the car will chatter tons more when trans is cold. Once you’ve been driving for a while you’ll notice the delta for chatter is mitigated when warm. Gears should slide in nice with optimal clutch play.
Appreciate 4
      03-04-2024, 03:04 PM   #9
Trogster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

It's all I've ever known.
Appreciate 1
grl.racr382.50
      03-04-2024, 03:53 PM   #10
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW R32

i have owned nothing but manuals for at least the last decade over a number of brands with hundreds of thousands of miles between them, and i still struggled with this manual brand new. part of it is break in, part of it is the clutch point, part of it is gearing. 5k miles later it feels like second nature so just stay the course.
Appreciate 6
      03-04-2024, 07:30 PM   #11
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

I’m the opposite here - I really like this particular transmission for city driving. Still getting used to managing 3rd well, but able to engage 1 and 2 smoothly. Shifts between those to seem seamless, and I like the higher engage/disengage vs my prev e92 and e88.

Many reviews found shifts to be a bit “rubbery”, but I haven’t felt that. Overall, thrilled with this 6MT.
M2siast5876.00
      03-04-2024, 09:22 PM   #12
Lex Templar
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 AW

I’m glad I found this thread. It does need a few revs when manoeuvring the car at low speed otherwise you do get a bit of chattering. Other manuals I’ve owned you can pretty much use the clutch to move around in tight car spaces. 2500 kms in and it’s now becoming second nature. I like the gearbox for city driving, the shifts are very satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 09:44 PM   #13
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

I now have a word for what I've experienced in my current vehicle: chattering.

I hadn't experienced too much of the 1st to 2nd gear issues that many have mentioned...or at least to the point where I would have called it a "thing" I was experiencing.

But the chatter has happened every once in a while, and never knew why it was happening. Good insight.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:08 PM   #14
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Ok, so I'm not the only one experiencing chattering.

Thank goodness.
Appreciate 4
      03-04-2024, 10:22 PM   #15
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
Ok, so I'm not the only one experiencing chattering.

Thank goodness.
Definitely not just you. I feel it too.
And not just the M2 either. The 135i was the exact same.
Appreciate 4
      03-04-2024, 10:23 PM   #16
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Definitely not just you. I feel it too.
And not just the M2 either. The 135i was the exact same.
I think I had it pretty bad in the later years of my F87. I thought it was the differential losing its life or something.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
///M TOWN16581.00
      03-04-2024, 10:27 PM   #17
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
I think I had it pretty bad in the later years of my F87. I thought it was the differential losing its life or something.
Me too, I thought my car (with 230,000 Km) was needing a new clutch…
Only to park the brand new M2 in the same garage spot and feel the same thing lol
I guess the clutches are good. They’re just heavy cars and heavy flywheels, on all modern BMWs (even from 2011)… so we have to give it some juice before moving them (which feels a little weird and counterintuitive to me, who likes to preserve clutches).

Given that they survive long, if you don’t mind the chatter it’s probably not doing any harm. I still think a lot of revs would do damage… so it’s either chatter or a bit of throttle for me to try to get to the sweet spot. Rewarding when it doesn’t chatter
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2024, 10:52 PM   #18
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E86, IS-F, G42, G87

I thought it was only me, the 1st is definitely short by comparison to my F87.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:01 PM   #19
ttaidapos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV, M2 G87

Plenty of stop and go traffic here. First BMW in my 27yrs driving, majority of that being MT. I personally find it easier compared to other cars I've driven because of the torque. Don't feel pressured to shift gears unless the engine calls for it, you'll be surprised how low in rpm you can keep a gear. With that being said, 1st is certainly short being a sports car and I find myself rowing between 2nd and 3rd the most in traffic. With Rev match, I personally find it a breeze.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      03-05-2024, 03:47 AM   #20
MonkeyDLuffy
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

usually at a stoplight or in traffic I will just gradually let off the clutch, no reason to give it gas unless very steep incline or you need to make a right turn verbal quickly. If you are trying to launch it that is a different story
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 06:00 AM   #21
DrewNewM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Brooklyn Gray G87 Manual

The gearing on this car makes it uneventful at speeds under the speed limit like city driving. First car I’ve had no problem keeping RPMs down during break in. Get the revs up and look at speedo and easy triple digits. Shifter throws are very long. Definitely need a short shifter and clutch stop. I think I’m doing 80 in 4th gear at just 4K RPMs. This car is made to go top end fast on track or highway, autobahn

My modded STi on the other hand has such short gearing, short shifter, aftermarket clutch. Very engaging at lower gears and speeds around town. Great fun under the speed limit. I’m doing 80 in 6th gear @ 4K RPMs. Definitely not for high speed autobahn runs.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:20 AM   #22
MMMGuy60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23M2,Tesla M3,Triumph 765R

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaSortaTerrible View Post

What do you guys think?

It's all experience. You can absolutely drive the M2 in city traffic smoothly. I have been driving nothing but manual cars for 20 yrs and every manual car does fine in stop and go traffic. The worse is my 2017 WRX. There is a big gap between 1st and 2nd. Drive it some more and it will get smoother and smoother. M2 1st to 2nd shift can be tricky to get smoothly but it can be done easily with experience. I actually enjoy driving my M2 in traffic because you can hear the exhaust and burble.
Appreciate 0