home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

03-05-2024, 08:34 AM   #23
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Gear ratios, and gearing, from 1st to 6th, based on getting the car moving and then up shifting for cruising on surface streets or cruising at highway speeds the car is very similar to my experience with other manual equipped cars including (most recently) my 2023 MINI JCW and my 2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack.

If you feel the engine is lugging in 2nd you are driving at too slow a speed in 2nd gear. Use first gear.

Rule of thumb I follow is I use is 1st gear for moving from a stop (of course) and for speeds close to 20mph. For 20mph to 30mph I use 2nd, and so on.

Even in 1st gear I don't lug the engine. And I avoid using clutch slippage to creep the car forward like I am in an automatic.

I'm really happy with my M2 and that includes its clutch and 6-speed and this includes driving it in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:02 AM   #24
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

In terms of chattering, I don’t see any when pulling into the garage or most other spots. Only time is if I’m on an incline.

I’ve experienced some rocking from 1 -> 2, only when I have the family in the car (additional weight and trying to drive more gingerly for the Mrs.). Usually smoothed out by additional feathering.

Chattering is much better and less pronounced than I experienced on my e88. I like this 6MT significantly better than that one.
      03-05-2024, 09:16 AM   #25
DeadlyDrop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

I also found out by accident that sometimes car will re-start engine for you when you accidentally stalls it. My driveway is inclined, like 7 percent gradient? and I stalled it going up... lol pretty embarrassing but to my surprise there was brief suggestion on the dash to shift down to N and when I did it fired right up again! I was pleasantly surprised haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:11 AM   #26
MMMGuy60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23M2,Tesla M3,Triumph 765R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyDrop View Post
I also found out by accident that sometimes car will re-start engine for you when you accidentally stalls it. My driveway is inclined, like 7 percent gradient? and I stalled it going up... lol pretty embarrassing but to my surprise there was brief suggestion on the dash to shift down to N and when I did it fired right up again! I was pleasantly surprised haha.
Interesting.....I haven't stall my car since gotten it last year. I might have to stall it on purpose just to experience this lol.
Appreciate 1
ronin130131000.50
      03-06-2024, 08:48 PM   #27
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Is removing the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV Delete) still a thing? A LOT of folks did it to their 135i to aid in 6MT predictability.
      03-06-2024, 08:56 PM   #28
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Is removing the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV Delete) still a thing? A LOT of folks did it to their 135i to aid in 6MT predictability.
Much harder to do, but still a thing.

Some say improvements not as significant as they used to be.

The 2 combined dissuaded me from doing it. I posted a scary video once.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 12:22 PM   #29
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I am guilty of causing a lot of this chattering. Struggling to find the right amount of throttle when releasing the clutch, most times it's not enough or way too much. Only 1350 miles in and I'm sure it will get easier.
Or the combination too much/too little. In sport+ I often do too much, then back off the throttle too much and lug 😂
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2066.00
      03-07-2024, 12:28 PM   #30
mrdudley
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyDrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMGuy60 View Post
Interesting.....I haven't stall my car since gotten it last year. I might have to stall it on purpose just to experience this lol.
Shouldn’t be sometimes. Should be every time you stall you just push clutch back in and engine re-starts (works similar to A/S/S).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 03:59 PM   #31
40 Cylinders
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d M-Sport

City Shifting...

I did remove the CDV valve and also have stalled once... and I was almost shocked when I pushed the clutch in and it re-fired !! No manual I've ever had did that... COOL !
I'm really enjoying driving the manual, even in city traffic but I really wish 1st was a little longer.. coming off the line from a light is painful unless you hammer it.. I have PDK and Getrag cars and they would leave the manual like it was DOA.. but there's nothing like a manual...and yes, I'm old...
Appreciate 0