home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

03-07-2024, 01:00 PM   #1
GA_G87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

G87 track tires and OE wheels

A couple of related track tire/wheel questions for those of you who track your G87s. I have a 2023 with the OE wheels and PS4S tires, which are ok on track, but I'm looking for something stickier. I want a direct replacement size because I don't want issues with ABS, traction control, etc. Opinions on the following of you don't mind?

1. Stick with the OE wheels (yes, they ARE heavy) but select PS Cup2, PS Cup 2 R, or Pirelli P Zero Corsas (all come in OEM sizes) for a track tire? Anyone have experience with these? I had pretty good luck with Cup2s on some Porsches.

2. I'm considering the 1000M 20/21 BMW option, which has the Yokohama ADVAN Sport V107 tires installed: 285/30ZR20 (front)295/25ZR21 (rear). Anyone track this set-up? The wheels are supposedly forged. Are they lighter? I presume they are at least as strong as the OE wheels? Are the Advans ok for the track? The downside seems to be that there doesn't seem to be much else in track tires that would match the 20/21 Yoko sizes.

My inclination is to use the OE wheels for track tires (even if they are heavier) since I've I've got more track tire options. Then I could use the 1000M setup for street driving.

Thoughts anyone?

TIA

Jim
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 08:17 PM   #2
jhstjh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2024 GR Corolla

Garage List
I've heard good things about Nankang CRS and Bridgestone RE-71RS and have track buddies running them. Nankang CRS comes with G87 OE size but RE-71RS doesn't. After I burn through the PS4S I'm planning to give CRS a try. Weirdly I heard more complains than praises on Cup2.

For an OEM+ setup 963M wheels are the lightest and I'm tempted to get them. But also thinking about 19'' square setup so I can rotate them. https://apexwheels.com/fitment-guide...-fitment-guide is a good wheel/tire guide.

Last edited by jhstjh; 03-08-2024 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 08:49 PM   #3
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

There are a couple of threads about this in the track sub-forum. I am not too sure what your concern is about using non-standard sizes. You won't have any traction control issues etc. I highly suggest buying new wheels and mount your track tires on those. I tracked cast wheels once and broke one when I went off track. Get forged.
If you get 19" wheels then there are tons of options for tire sizes. 18" wheels produce a slightly lighter setup but there are fewer tire options. If you get wheels the same diameter and width then with the right offset and/or use of spacers you can use the same tire width and rotate the tires after each track day to extend the life of the tires. The apex guide listed above is an excellent resource.
For what it is worth I have 19x10.5" Apex wheels and I run 305/30/19 Nankang CR-S tires. I am on my second set. I don't use spacers and have no rubbing but I have a little more front strut clearance since I have MCS coilovers. If I still had stock struts then I would probably need a 5mm spacer up front.