home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

08-19-2024, 01:47 PM   #1
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Need good setup

I am looking into getting lowering springs and possibly spacers for my stock setup. I have a rwd g42 (225 in the front and 255 in the rear) anyone else with the same factory setup that has suspension suggestions?

This is my first time doing anything suspension related so I don't really know if I need to do anything to support the lowering springs like new struts etcs...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2024, 09:17 AM   #2
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2024, 12:33 PM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Depends on what you want to achieve.

Most will put spacers on - plenty threads already so search. They are for aesthetics only.
Others will add Eibach springs for lowering purposes, again aesthetics, but they also have the advantage of stiffening the suspension system giving less roll in the corners and some say that “transforms” the car. That said, if your goal is to reduce roll, it’s roll bars you should look at.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-22-2024, 01:02 PM   #4
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Depends on what you want to achieve.

Most will put spacers on - plenty threads already so search. They are for aesthetics only.
Others will add Eibach springs for lowering purposes, again aesthetics, but they also have the advantage of stiffening the suspension system giving less roll in the corners and some say that “transforms” the car. That said, if your goal is to reduce roll, it’s roll bars you should look at.
I looked into rollbars and saw one option but it only fits the g42 without a sun roof and mine happens to have one ;(. Guessing sunroof in general changes the chassis rigidity since it disrupts the roof surface? I will keep looking into springs then. I really want to achieve sharper handling at higher speeds

Edit: I found this and might try it out
front sway bar
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 11:47 PM   #5
bozo777
Rep
Drives: 23 M240ix

It depends on how much you want to spend, to be honest. Most will go for lowering springs and spacers to keep edc and achieve tighter steering and a lowered look. You don't really need anything much, especially if you're just doing daily driving with some spirited driving mixed in. That combo itself with the non-ztk tires, I noticed the car to be more stable throughout with greatly improved turn in. You can do sway bars if you want but I feel like it might be too stiff, especially the h&r's and won't be comfortable for driving on regular roads.

if you want to ball out. get a set of coilovers, some more suspension work like SPL control arms or traction links or even tie rods. a beefy alignment and you're good to go.

Last edited by bozo777; 08-31-2024 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0