E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Broken1's Photo shoot (13 Nov) - Advice wanted

11-13-2005, 04:07 AM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Broken1's Photo shoot (13 Nov) - Advice wanted

Hey,

So I decided to debadge my car today - just felt the urge to have that clean look after seeing a debadged 330i yesterday! Then I decided to have a quick photo shoot. My car isn't sparkling, and I didn't have the best location either.

I copied some shots, looking at my photo's I've got one or two similar to tightie, and went for that low angle approach like Nikki.

What I am looking for is some advice on how to take better car photo's...any info you can give me or oppinions on my photo's would be great :-)

Here they are:

(Ps. The car is also a little dirty - excuse that)
Attached Images

Last edited by Broken1; 11-13-2005 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 04:13 AM   #2
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
Ok, I am jealous of your weather....its been raining here for a week. As far as the badging....I like the way it comes from the factory.
      11-13-2005, 04:20 AM   #3
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Lawman
Ok, I am jealous of your weather....its been raining here for a week. As far as the badging....I like the way it comes from the factory.
This was my feeling of the day... I can always get it stuck back on :-)

What does everything think of my photo's? Photographic advice?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 08:47 AM   #4
YYimports
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TitanSilver E90

Nice pics. I'd suggest a more elegant setting. Your setting right now is too busy and takes attention away from the car. Look at Nikki's pics where she's just on a plain parking garage top, not too much to distract your eyes and you can focus on the car. Secondly, DO NOT shoot during mid-day when the sun is bright. Best time for photography of any kind is the hour after sunrise and the hour prior to sunset. Shooting when the sun is birght and in the sky casts shadows on the car, but if you shoot durnig those hours I mentioned, there's smooth even light in the sky and you won't have to deal with shadows. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

Great Pictures
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
underDAWG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 on Stands

Oh no, now we know BK1's license plate number.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
BMRAMA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
I agree with Lost, you need a more elegant setting. I think in front of a tree line is good, or a cliff overlooking a body of water, or even like parked on a dirt road in a field.

What is around the car acts like a frame. You want to have a background that either compliments or contrasts the car. I think your BS car would look great from an angle that included the blue sky and white puffy clouds. It would be even better if the car had just been washed and there were some reflections of the sky in the car.

Make sure your reflection is not in the car when you snap the shot.

Try using a tripod, or otherwise steadying object, to help create a crisper shot. And along the same lines, use the highest quality camera that you have or can borrow.

As I think about it more, a picture in the woods with enough light to cast shadows and reflections on the car would make a great picture. lol, I can't wait for my car! Just 27 days!

One last note, enlist a friend. Then you can get a picture of the car in motion. Go driving on a picturesque road, drop him off and drive past a few times. Best to ask a car guy, most people would probably give you the look I got when I bought $90 worth of new towels and the sales lady asked "Are these a gift?" and I said "No, they're for washing my car."

Post your new pictures when you get them done.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Thanks guys...
I'm working from torrow till mid dec - so I'll get to new photo's asap :-)
It's a learning proccess...I don't expect to become excellent overnight, but it's a start atleast.

I know the look. Some poeple just don't feel for their cars. For me it's not about getting from A -> B ... anywhoo... :-)

I'm still open to other advice...camera angles? Anything? :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
BMRAMA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
Are you thinking something like this? I think of them as magazine shots:

or more like this? An action shot:

It sounds to me like you want the latter; that you want a more exciting shot.

For the sake of orientation, imagine you're looking at the car from over head. The front roundel is at 0 degrees, the rear roundel is at 180 degrees. The driver's door is 90, the passenger's is 270.

Let's start with the most boring shot. Taking a picture from 0, 90, 180 or 270 is boring; especially if the wheels are not turned, the windows are all rolled up, the sun roof is not lifted in the rear, and the lights are off.

For an exciting shot, we need to move away from these static points. Turn the steering wheel so the wheels are at a 40-45 degree angle, pop up the back of the sunroof, maybe turn on the angel eyes, and all of a sudden the car is significantly more interesting.

I can tell you are somewhat aware of this because the car does have its wheels turned and you opened/closed some windows, but look for more creative ways to create visual interest. (Maybe turn on the hazzard blinkers and snap a shot when they're flashing.)

Along the same lines, you gotta put the car somewhere else. The front lawn is pedestrian, you want clean, fresh, maybe exotic, perhaps sophisticated. That sort of feeling is hard to achive when I can see your neighbor's house and their giant ADT sign.

Back to angles though. A simple place to start is with the 45 degree multiples. It's kinda like putting yourself at one of the four corners of the car. Then move just a little right, a little left.

For height, generally low camera positions generate the look of speed. Notice the second picture in this post. The car is not moving, but the combination of 'on top of the camera' look of the car, combined with the still pavement in front of us, makes it sure look like the car is mid-turn.

When you put the camera higher than the car, it will appear more static. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, but it's less exciting. Being up on a ladder can help give that kind of shot.

Lastly, turn the camera.

We see these shots a lot in movies, from say the rear bumper of a car. They can definitely add a sense of movement. I think of it like taking a picture while something moves past you. You don't want the subject perfectly level because the off angle makes it look spontaneous.

by the way, I love your icon: "you fucking broke it"
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 06:11 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Broken1 - I'll try to give a few opinions, but several others (like BMRAMA) have done a nice job with advice. First off, your pictures are nice, but they could be better with a couple simple changes. Also note that I don't always practice what I preach.. so take that into consideration. Your first hurdle is to find a better location. That's not always easy to do. You want something that makes a pleasant background, but not something that draws attention away from the car. Time of day is another huge variable. Morning and evening are the best light situations - but be careful choosing location with that in mind because the sun may be on the same side as your great background, and then you're screwed. Also - always clean the car well first. Dirt or dull finish is a no no.

There were several suggestions for "action" shots... this is not too practical logistically and can be very complicated. Jwocky is quite good in this area and I'm sure he'll tell you that a lot of planning and hard work goes into a shot like that. I shot NASCAR from the pits and retaining walls for over a decade, and my signature shots were 'panning' shots in which the car is (relatively) sharp but the backgroud is heavily motion blurred, as are the wheels of the car, etc. On a racetrack the scenario is laid out before you for this but in real life that would be tricky to do without a lot of planning and really good equipment.

Think about the things you like about your car visually, and think in terms of the components of the car... some of the best shots will show only a small part of the car from a unique perspective. My current favorite on the forum is nim's shot of the roof of his car with a leaf on it. It's an amazing shot (and if I had to explain why... well you get it). I'm not particularly good at shooting still life. I spent a lot of years as a semi-pro photographer but was better at sports action and journalism. It's something I'd like to do more of too, but I get lazy. The shots I've done of my cars so far have been a bit impromtu and not at all well planned.

The most important thing is to take pictures that YOU enjoy, and enjoy doing it!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious

Last edited by LEDZEP; 11-13-2005 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
Ok.....where's NIKKI when you need her??????? I think your pics look good. It's like pics of yourself. If you took 30 pics of yourself you may only have one in particular that looks great... AKA "money shot". All of the above advice is great. I would suggest to take as many as you can at different locations and angles as possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 07:29 PM   #12
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

LEDZEP's suggestions are terrific, as are the other advice in this thread. Check out nim's pics from his garage ( nim's garage ) (hope you don't mind me posting these NIM, but they're great).

Notice how the setting in this pic doesn't distract from the car, but adds to the overall photo.

Also, regarding what LEDZEP said about "best shots will show only a small part of the car from a unique perspective"... these are two shots by nim that show this off.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
nice pic..last one
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:17 PM   #14
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwocky
LEDZEP's suggestions are terrific, as are the other advice in this thread. Check out nim's pics from his garage ( nim's garage ) (hope you don't mind me posting these NIM, but they're great).

Notice how the setting in this pic doesn't distract from the car, but adds to the overall photo.

Also, regarding what LEDZEP said about "best shots will show only a small part of the car from a unique perspective"... these are two shots by nim that show this off.

Well, Broken, I think your photo skills are good. Certainly above-average.

Wow, those are great pics NIM. The last pic with the leaf just seems so clever and delicate.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:40 PM   #15
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I don't really know what advice to give except to take your time and well, "get down and dirty".
Whenever I do shoots, I am constantly on the ground, rolling around, kneeling, it takes some flexibility, lol.
You really need to keep moving around and looking through that viewfinder,
and use your creative and artistic eye to capture what you think looks good at the moment.
Don't center the car in the shots, but always try and get a level horizon.
Try Placing the camera on the pavement or the grass and take some shots.
Take the same picture at different distances.
Try taking one picture a little closer, with the car in most of the viewfinder, the same one a normal distance away, and then one further than you usually would take a picture. It helps to have a bunch of different distances.
Always have the sun at your back, preferably when it isn't very high in the sky.
Move around the car looking through the viewfinder to see where the sun creates different colors on the car, shadows and other interesting things.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 05:32 AM   #16
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
nice try broken
      11-14-2005, 07:39 AM   #17
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Thanks guys...I'm gonna give it another try in a week or two...get the car all cleaned up (this time wasn't planned, just had some time to kill) and find a decent location. :-)

I guess over time I'll develop a feel for it, and get stunning photo's ;-) I'm still very much a rookie.

Oh and BMRAMA - our ADT signs here are massive - alot bigger then the tiny ones in the states :P hehe (that made me laugh out loud)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #18
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Broken1, pics look good. First time seeing your car. looks beautiful.

Nim's pics are... just professional. I really admire his skills.
Nim/LEDZEP/Nikki should have an artistic photo contest.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 07:41 PM   #19
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
... take your time and well, "get down and dirty".
...I am constantly on the ground, rolling around, kneeling, it takes some flexibility...You really need to keep moving around ....
Hey Nikki, if you're going to talk like that we are liable to stop being gentlemen around here!

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #20
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2005, 10:08 AM   #21
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

ha ha ha.

:P

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2005, 10:39 AM   #22
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
^ Sorry kid, couldn't resist. Eye on the road, mind in the gutter, I always say.

Appreciate 0