BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

07-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #45
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I looked this up and the smaller the ohms to louder the sound if the amp normally running 4 ohms with 4 ohm speakers, can't tell if it doubles but it is louder.

This might expalin why the individual can cope with twice the wattage.
That's not totally true. It's true if you're talking the exact same speaker with a different impedence but that's probably not the case here. There are other factors that come into play like sensitivity. I'm not sure why they would switch impedences on the speakers for the system other than keeping the amp running cooler.

Looking at the picture of the sub, it looks very much like one of those inverted motor designs like the ones released by Illusion Audio many years ago. I thought Illusion went out of business a few years ago but maybe they're still doing OEM stuff.

http://www.illusionaudio.com/docs/carbon.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #46
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen White M3

Believe me, it's just amazing.100% worth the $1900.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #47
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I looked this up and the smaller the ohms to louder the sound if the amp normally running 4 ohms with 4 ohm speakers, can't tell if it doubles but it is louder.

This might expalin why the individual can cope with twice the wattage.
That just don't work like that in OEM audio systems, as the components are matched to each other for specific technical, performance and budget reasons. So a 2 ohm speaker not necessarily will have to sound louder than the 4 ohm version, especially if the OEM amp that drives each speaker is completely different, with different power levels and impedance capability/stability.

Most probably changing an OEM 4 ohm speaker with an OEM 2 ohm (or even aftermarket) and leaving the OEM amp the same will sound louder for a while... until the OEM amp burn those output channels down, or the whole internal circuitry.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #48
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3

Does anyone have a suggestion for upgrading the standard stereo setup. I do not have the ipod adapter and they want $700 plus to do it at BMW. I would prefer to spend the money in upgrading, because then an ipod adapter for an after market head unit is $50. Any ideas on what functionality issues I may have. I have bluetooth, but no nav.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #49
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for upgrading the standard stereo setup. I do not have the ipod adapter and they want $700 plus to do it at BMW. I would prefer to spend the money in upgrading, because then an ipod adapter for an after market head unit is $50. Any ideas on what functionality issues I may have. I have bluetooth, but no nav.
If the OEM Bluetooth functionality and the 4 years of free Assist service are important to you then you should keep the OEM HU, as all the audio of those two features are routed/controlled thru it.

The iPod adapter installation instructions are here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...43&postcount=4

The adapter is around $300, and if you are a DIY person you could install it yourself; no need for paying $400 in labor.

To improve your base system you could start by adding a small amp (50W RMS max) to drive your OEM subs more efficiently, go all the way and replace everything after the OEM HU or any steps in between. It is up to you and your budget...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #50
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

I'm bringing this one back to see if anyone with the standard audio system in the M3 has successfully replaced the headunit or any of the speakers/amp. I got the standard audio system with plans to completely upgrade the stereo at one point. I don't have the BWM Assist or any other options that should prevent me from doing it.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0