BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

09-07-2024, 06:17 AM   #1
josemigueltagorito
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G22 430i

Random noise/rattle in front dashboard

Hi,

I hace recently purchased a BMW M2 G87, one week ago. Less than 1000 kms already. I have a random noise coming from the front dashboard. It is around 4000-5000 rpm. On Thursday and yesterday was clearly noticeable, I went to my dealer and they noticed it. I will leave the car on Monday but for example today is not doing it.

It is random, first days only for a moment I had it, other days clearly noticeable and other days is not happening.

I hope the dealer can fix it.

I do not know if anyone had the same issue. Any help or info will be appreciated to give it to my dealer.

I really like the car, last one was a M2C and this new one IMO represents a very good evolution.

Thanks!

This a video with the issue:
https://youtube.com/shorts/D_Jd4TKGT...AXgGjMrC_5wQoG
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 08:51 AM   #2
tylerdurdem
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

I had a rattle coming from the HUD, dealer was able to locate it and fix it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 09:13 AM   #3
josemigueltagorito
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdem View Post
I had a rattle coming from the HUD, dealer was able to locate it and fix it.
OK, good news then for you. The problem of mine that is also in front dashboard but in the passenger’s side or maybe in central position. Was your issue random? Mine is, I would prefer to be permanent to be easier to detect it and to fix it.

In the link with the video that I have posted, it is evident the rattle. I do not know if it is related with the central speaker, or a pipe behind the dashboard, or something different. It is complicated to determine the origin if it is random. Today I am not able to hear it.

Thanks for your response!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 10:32 AM   #4
tylerdurdem
Private First Class
Rep

Mine started out random, but eventually became constant if you weren't on absolutely virgin pavement, so it was pretty easy to identify. Who knows, maybe yours will get worse so it'll be easy to find too.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 01:35 PM   #5
nype
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdem View Post
Mine started out random, but eventually became constant if you weren't on absolutely virgin pavement, so it was pretty easy to identify. Who knows, maybe yours will get worse so it'll be easy to find too.
Sounds like what I am experiencing. Faint rattle coming from HUD area when driving on rough+ pavement.

Do you know of BMW has a tech bulletin out for this issue? Or what they did to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 06:10 AM   #6
josemigueltagorito
Spain
Rep

Today leaved the car in the dealer. I had luck and today I was able to reproduce the vibration.

Now, I hope the dealer can find the origin. I will post updates to help other people.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 06:46 AM   #7
ajchoi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 ZB M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemigueltagorito View Post
OK, good news then for you. The problem of mine that is also in front dashboard but in the passenger’s side or maybe in central position. Was your issue random? Mine is, I would prefer to be permanent to be easier to detect it and to fix it.

In the link with the video that I have posted, it is evident the rattle. I do not know if it is related with the central speaker, or a pipe behind the dashboard, or something different. It is complicated to determine the origin if it is random. Today I am not able to hear it.

Thanks for your response!
I had a rattle and figured out mine was something metallic I left in my glovebox vibrating against the glovebox sides at certain RPMs. Then I found another rattle and turned out it was my sunglasses in their case lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 08:02 AM   #8
tylerdurdem
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Sounds like what I am experiencing. Faint rattle coming from HUD area when driving on rough+ pavement.

Do you know of BMW has a tech bulletin out for this issue? Or what they did to fix it?
Just some fabric tape. They found some in there already, like it had been rattling from the factory.
Appreciate 1
nype163.50
      09-09-2024, 11:04 AM   #9
Cefoskey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Garage List
1998 Porsche 944  [10.00]
2024 BMW G87 M2  [10.00]
I have the same rattle coming from either the A-pillar, HUD, or top of the door card. Sounds like this may be a known issue?

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 11:43 AM   #10
josemigueltagorito
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cefoskey View Post
I have the same rattle coming from either the A-pillar, HUD, or top of the door card. Sounds like this may be a known issue?

Similar than mine, although in my case I identify it coming from the front dashboard, center or right side, but these rattles can be the origin confusing.

Still in the dealer, I am sure they have heard it so they should fix it. This rattle is not a normal behavior. They said to me that they will do their best to find the origin, I hope so. The problem of this rattle in my case is random, it does not depends on the roads. In a highway with excellent road conditions I was able to repro it. Hoping this can be definitely fixed and avoid to happening our worst nightmare: once the car is delivered to me, the rattle will be there again or dealer could create new rattles.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 02:00 AM   #11
Kettleboy
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i

Mines doing this too and I'm RHD, the only time its silent is on super smooth roads. dealers are a pita over here, i'd be interested to know how difficult it is to pop the bezel off the HUD? i

It does sound lower than that but these things can be deceptive.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 04:54 AM   #12
Kettleboy
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i

Ok, so I've had some success, it appears it was behind the cup holders, I've removed them and refitted with tape and foam, seems quiet at the moment..
Appreciate 0