E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Neverending Headlight Story

06-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
LeeCatD8209
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Xdrive

Neverending Headlight Story

I have been having almost CONSTANT issues with my headlights since I purchased this car CPO in February.

First thing that happened was the passenger's D1S bulb burned out. I was also having some other weird electrical issues so I took it to the dealer because it needed inspected anyway. They told me there was a fuse missing (this fuse's name must be Houdini, or my local SA's name is Big Fat Liar), and they installed a new one, got it working, and inspected it. Picked my car up from the dealer, drove less than 100ft, and the passenger's headlight was out again, but the rest of the stuff was fixed.

Drove around like that for a little while, then the driver's side angel eye bulb burned out. I called my dealer about checking it out, and they said since it wasn't covered, it would be cheaper for me to just try new bulbs. Threw new bulbs in it, and they worked great. For about a day.

Starting the next day the driver's side angel eye only works when it wants to. Sometimes if you smack the headlight housing or fender it'll come on. (I usually do this while wearing my leather jacket, and saying EHHH!) I was 800 miles away in Georgia enjoying SoWo so just dealt with it.

So I get home from Georgia, and two days later my passenger headlight fogs up like you wouldn't believe, the D1S bulb quits working, and my adaptive headlights stop working. Turn signal, and angel eye are fine though.

I ordered an adaptive module, and a bulb. I plan on taking the housing out, drying it out, checking for obvious cracks or leaks, and checking the vent, blah, blah, blah.

If you honestly read this, do you know if my driver's side adaptive function should be working?

Also, my local dealer sucks donkey buttholes, and the purchasing dealer is 400 miles away in Rhode Island, so I won't be taking it either place if that's your suggestion.

PS: The latest version of the CPO "rules" doesn't list headlight housings under NOT COVERED, whereas it used to in the past. Should I try asking a different dealer? The next closest dealer is well over an hour away, I don't have enough spare time to just stop in and ask.

THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Your adaptive module is probably fried due to the moisture. I would go back to the dealer and advise this problem (moisture) showed up after they messed around with the bulbs. I know, based on experience, the gasket is not placed properly (seating) when removing the cover. Try to get them to replace the headlight assembly (which I doubt they will do) or at least reimburse you for the module and DS1 bulb. GL...I know they are a pain in the ass when something goes wrong.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
LeeCatD8209
Private
United_States
Rep

If one adaptive module is fried, will both headlights stop "adapting"? The working one aims just fine, but it wont' turn. I just want to get some other opinions before I put the new bulb, and module in, and they get fried. I'd rather not have to buy a new housing, and repurchase a bulb, and module.

Talking with my dealer is most likely not going to happen, I'm pretty committed to doing the work myself at this point. Last time I had it there they added a nice scratch all the way into the base color, and refuse to do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
nOshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

If one module is out both lights will not turn when the steering is turned. The fried one will look like it has a lazy eye and the other will point correctly. Best to just find another light assembly. So you don't risk buying a new module and it fries again.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
LeeCatD8209
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOshi View Post
If one module is out both lights will not turn when the steering is turned. The fried one will look like it has a lazy eye and the other will point correctly. Best to just find another light assembly. So you don't risk buying a new module and it fries again.
Perfect, just what I needed to know. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
nOshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

np
Appreciate 0