E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Should I be concerned about transmission?

06-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
jer335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I drive a 2007 335i AT with 83,000 miles. I've noticed sometimes during light/slow acceleration, especially when in traffic, the car kind of jerks/clunks when the transmission is upshifting. Other than that issue, the car runs great during quicker/hard acceleration. No codes, no slipping. I've read numerous threads on this forum stating the ZF transmission in the 335s are somewhat jerky. Reason I am asking is I have an extended warranty that comes up at 95,000 miles. I've also serviced the transmission about 10,000 miles ago at 70,000 miles. Is this "jerk/clunk" something to be concerned about because the car drives fine during quicker/harder acceleration with no codes, no slip. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Edit: A few months ago I did take it in to BMW and my SA said the transmission does jerk occasionally in the lower RPMs and it's also due to the adaptive transmission. I haven't tried resetting the adaptations yet because I don't have the BT tool. I've tried doing the throttle body reset by holding the gas pedal with the car off and I didn't notice any difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

If you have a warranty, why not take it in and have it looked at. Express your concerns and get them documented while you are still under warranty.

Bottom line, if the overall characteristics of your transmission have changed when doing any one thing, then you may want to have it looked at. I did...and I got a new transmission from BMW because my car randomly began to not shift into first gear at certain times with only 54K on the gearbox.
      06-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
jer335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
If you have a warranty, why not take it in and have it looked at. Express your concerns and get them documented while you are still under warranty.

Bottom line, if the overall characteristics of your transmission have changed when doing any one thing, then you may want to have it looked at. I did...and I got a new transmission from BMW because my car randomly began to not shift into first gear at certain times with only 54K on the gearbox.
What type if symptoms were you having when your car started to not shift into first gear. The shifts into first gear during up shifts or downshifts. I've taken my car in for this problem a few months ago and my SA said that was normal and typical of the transmission to jerk at low gears.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
What about if you don't have a warranty?

Are these symptoms something for the others of us to worry about if we aren't covered by warranty?

My gearbox is the same as OP and the previous owner already paid $2500 to replace the "mechatronics" in the auto trans.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I have had a similar issue, I read that flushing the transmission fluid helps.
      06-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
jer335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89
What about if you don't have a warranty?

Are these symptoms something for the others of us to worry about if we aren't covered by warranty?

My gearbox is the same as OP and the previous owner already paid $2500 to replace the "mechatronics" in the auto trans.
The problem with warranty is that the jerk is hard to reproduce. It just happens occasionally and I can't figure a way to reproduce it. Without feeling that jerk on a test drive with the foreman, I doubt BMW will replace anything especially if no codes are being shown.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

First of all reset the adaptations using this video.

All BMWs and for that matter virtually all adaptive transmissions reset this way. Once that is done check for the lurch. Typically what is going on is that our 6 spd ZF actually disconnects from the engine (similar to a clutch on a manual) and when you step on the gas taking your foot off the brake it will seem to lurch forward. All normal.
Whatever you do never flush a transmission with this mileage unless you wish to purchase a reman or new one. Drain and refill is acceptable...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
jer335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
First of all reset the adaptations using this video.

All BMWs and for that matter virtually all adaptive transmissions reset this way. Once that is done check for the lurch. Typically what is going on is that our 6 spd ZF actually disconnects from the engine (similar to a clutch on a manual) and when you step on the gas taking your foot off the brake it will seem to lurch forward. All normal.
Whatever you do never flush a transmission with this mileage unless you wish to purchase a reman or new one. Drain and refill is acceptable...
Thanks. And that video is exactly what I did a few months ago. Yes I did a drain and fill as well with ZF lifeguard 6 and new transmission oil pan.

Last edited by jer335; 06-25-2014 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer335 View Post
What type if symptoms were you having when your car started to not shift into first gear. The shifts into first gear during up shifts or downshifts. I've taken my car in for this problem a few months ago and my SA said that was normal and typical of the transmission to jerk at low gears.
Not getting into 1st would occur after coasting to a stop in neutral and attempting to place the car into first to get going again. I would have to put it into 2nd then back into 1st in order for it to go. Sometimes I'd have it in first sitting still, pull out to neutral and try to go back to first and it wouldn't go.
Both the tech and SA I work with said they had the same issue on their MT in the past, one on an e36 M3, one on a e90 335 (I think).

I've got a couple vids of it here... forgive the vertical video, I stuck the phone into the pocket on the center console to record because it was almost perfect angle and I could still drive.

06-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I think the thread was referring to the automatic transmission clunking in and out of low gears. At least that's the problem I was referring to.

With regard to the manual transmission not engaging first above, I sometimes have that problem on my e46 330Ci manual. I had been trying to get rid of it, and replaced transmission mounts, clutch, flywheel (all for other issues), shifter linkages and shifter detent pins/springs.

Not all of the parts were replaced at once, and at each stage a part was replaced the issue got better, however it still does it some times. Sometimes the gear will just slide into first without pressure, other times it can feel like I'm breaking something to get it back to 1st.

I've noticed that sometimes when I cant get it into 1st, selecting 2nd instead, then retrying 1st helps.

I have also read somewhere on e46 fanatics that the 1st gear in the e46 doesn't have synchro? which is the reason why it sometimes does not go in easily... I've not looked into the facts, so that statement is probably total bullshit.
Appreciate 0