E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mo AKA Mob 17's Visit

07-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Mo AKA Mob 17's Visit

First of all apologies to Mo for a couple of things first of all for under quoting on the job in hand totally as you know my fault as I'd miscalculated the element re braided hoses and secondly for the late posting of pics / write up as I've had a bit going on of late.

Mo arrived looking rather tied on a day that for me sadly wasn't a great day(my dad had another heart attack on the day) but without any firm new I opted to stay as I'd rather keep my self occupied.

So what greeted me was a rather clean 335d, interesting for me is that it was one of the first cars I'd seen up close with the replica M3 side skirts(I saw Josh's breifly up close) but Mo's car gave me a bit more time to take a closer look at how these tungs fit and the finished result.( All parts apart from Copper Pipingsupplied by Mo)

So up in the air

for a look around. Under neath all nice an clean. First thing first from memory we tackled the gear box, with he kit Mo purchased all very straightforward. Sump for the mileage was nice and dry overall only the smallest amout of weeping was noticed

all Mo's covers were noticed as nice and dry.

Once the sump was off

the fluid was exmined

typical of the breed it smelt though it wasn't as dirty as some I've seen/smelt Mo got to have a look too, I wouldn't of said it was bad though it was dark. Sump went on nice'n'easy and the necessary work took place to ensure the fluid was taken by the gearbox and everything was circulating as required the car took from memory around 6.5 litres of fluid which is the norm for these.

Next brake fluid change

old stuff drained away and then after this the required stainless lines were installed

As you can see on the ramp just ahead of the rear wheels are some of Mo's stainless lines, quickly noted by Alan our tech was the fact that the lines supplied would cause an issue unless the lines were supported by washers to stop them flayling/moving adversily (something we've seen before re aftermarket items from time to time though some are better than others)nothing bad mind you all very straightforward to do but you want these lines correctly housed. When doing the brakes and again we see this from time to time some brake lines were noted as corroded(Mo was taken over to view with Alan to see for himself)again when you opt to book a car in from time to time the unexpected happens and this was one of those situations where this wasn't expected(especially when you look at the mileage covered by Mo's car) and this meant this little lot was required

So Alan got to work

Once this was all done the required brake fluid change was then carried carried out.

Power steering fluid sadly didn't take place as Mo's car needed BMW's ATF2 spec rather than the ealrier spec CHF11S spec.

But icing on the cake though for me was this little gem

Mo's beautiful looking Ohlins set up. I spent a good 10 or so minutes gawping at these they are stunning from waht I could see the quality was way above the usual Koni type stuff I see as an upgrade. I had a look close up at the springs the way the sat the shocks looks awesome beautifully presented I asled Mo re thoughs of the drive as these were new to him he was truly impresssed ride comfort and behavour apparantly was night and day and I can beleive this. Still say though that the magic of anything like this is in the set up it appears Mo ensured that with the aid of corner weighting anda very professional set up he was getting the best from his rather pricy but trully outstanding Ohlins set up.

I'd of loved to of got more shots but with the phone's and god knows what elese going on on the day the above was about all I could muster.

Trully lovely car Mo, again my sincere apologies for the under quoting and re the fault codes you later reported again if we need to look at these fault codes to see what they are please let me know.

Steve
      07-08-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Nice to see the service being carried out so well. Good work!!
      07-08-2014, 04:50 AM   #3
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Steve thanks for all the work done that day.

The ATF change has made a world of difference to the shifting, its silky smooth now.

The stainless lines can't be felt during normal driving, but once you push the car hard and brake accordingly, the pedal is a rock.

Can't comment on the brake fluid yet but i put in ATE Super Blue. Should be ok for track. I need to replace all pads/discs, bed them in, and then push them hard to see if it has made a difference.

Shame about the power steering fluid! I have returned that so will try and get that flushed another day.

Re the Ohlins. They are awesome. I'll be putting up a review today/tomorrow.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #4
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and i understand now why Steve's coffee is legendry. Maybe he puts something in it...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Oh and i understand now why Steve's coffee is legendry. Maybe he puts something in it...
Yep milk (though done with a twist)
      07-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
Quote:
Yep milk (though done with a twist)
...or tug?!
Lololz
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Sod the car, (no offence Mo) but more importantly....how's your father Steve?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
Sod the car, (no offence Mo) but more importantly....how's your father Steve?
He's OK thanks for asking by the way, really appreciate it.

We take every day as it comes, me I could of as I stated on the OP bugged out of work but what can I do family were with him I was kept in the loop he knew I was thinking about him and once everything work wise was done/dusted I went to see him. Life, health v car service no comparison is there but again thanks for asking
      07-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Steve thanks for all the work done that day.

The ATF change has made a world of difference to the shifting, its silky smooth now.

The stainless lines can't be felt during normal driving, but once you push the car hard and brake accordingly, the pedal is a rock.

Can't comment on the brake fluid yet but i put in ATE Super Blue. Should be ok for track. I need to replace all pads/discs, bed them in, and then push them hard to see if it has made a difference.

Shame about the power steering fluid! I have returned that so will try and get that flushed another day.

Re the Ohlins. They are awesome. I'll be putting up a review today/tomorrow.

Thanks!
I'm looking forward to that Ohlins review and yer right re power steering fluid interesting re the brake pedal feel I haven't really on any of my cars sampled a straight difference pre/post stainless brake line install, but as you've reported when you stand on them good'n proper you feel a nice solid pedal..

Take care

Steve
      07-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey steve,

Yep not an obvious decision, i expected the pedal to be rock hard all the time! But when pushing the car, and pressing the brakes firmly, it is noticeably firmer.

I need discs and pads all round so will report back then.

Sorry for the ohlins review delay, i've been meaning to do it but yesterday decided to tackle egr/manifold cleaning! I will get some pics and write a review soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Good idea changing the GB oil they are longlife sealed but seen in some D the oil was quite dirty and scorched and evidence of wear circa 90k miles - mine has done 92k

I changed both the GB and diff oil with genuine BMW stuff, bloody expensive but since I'm pushing 372/565 lb ft thought it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_335d View Post
Good idea changing the GB oil they are longlife sealed but seen in some D the oil was quite dirty and scorched and evidence of wear circa 90k miles - mine has done 92k

I changed both the GB and diff oil with genuine BMW stuff, bloody expensive but since I'm pushing 372/565 lb ft thought it was worth it.
It does make a difference why sealed for life was adpoted where the manufacturer clearly believes that there is a service life for the fluids beggers belief. Merecdes could teach BMW a lesson as their policy for ensuring mechanical longevity is way way ahead of BMW's.

But on the box the oil change as stated makes a real difference, if you re set all the adaptations and carry out a full re learn as I've done take the car for a half decent drive and allow the car to re learn the end result really is the icing on the cake.
      07-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hey steve,

Yep not an obvious decision, i expected the pedal to be rock hard all the time! But when pushing the car, and pressing the brakes firmly, it is noticeably firmer.

I need discs and pads all round so will report back then.

Sorry for the ohlins review delay, i've been meaning to do it but yesterday decided to tackle egr/manifold cleaning! I will get some pics and write a review soon!
Cool look forward to it
      07-11-2014, 02:58 AM   #14
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Yeah when changed the oil did the reset in software definitely smoother gear change.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #15
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Steve,

How do you reset all the adaptations as i don't think you did that on mine?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #16
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Steve,

How do you reset all the adaptations as i don't think you did that on mine?
Its an extra procedure that we do where on diagnostic you go into the gear box settings re set everything clear adaptations then take the car for a long-drive(a good half hour to 45 minutes to complete easily) I'd of loved to of done this for you(though it is also chargeable) but time wise as you'll remember it was late and we'd of simply run out of time, but its something that can easily be done in the future Mo.