E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Values of the 335i

07-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Values of the 335i

I've not paid too much attention recently until a thread tonight.

Looking at Autotrader suddenly prices of 335is have jumped a large amount in the last few months.

Suddenly £10k for 56 plate SE models without big spec seems the norm.

They weren't worth that a year ago.

Pretty positive from my point of view, but it does seem all cars are on the rise. Just needed the 335i to do the same after being the performance bargain for years.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Would be awesome if they appreciated in price. Especially with the N54 block which seems to be a tuning dream.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

It certainly is good to see prices have stablished

I recently worked out over half the total cost of ownership of the car was depreciation, even factoring in spending 7k on modifications over 3 years.

But for me it's a bit irrelevant, I struggle to think of find another car that offers the same performance/practicality/running costs of a 335 for 20-30k, let alone 10 which is about what mine is worth.

I've disscounted M3s because they aren't any faster than my tuned 335, and in any case my darling wife refuses to drive one, so it's a non starter.

The new Golf R has half tempted me, it's got amazing tuning potential but I priced one up with options and it came to 40k There's no way I'm going to spend 30k of my cash for the sake of getting a newer car that is not any faster than my current car, and dull to look at.

Even if I was to lease something like a M135i for 300/months + 6 months deposit over 2 years, that's throwing 9k down the drain. My 335 owns me nothing, and for 9k I can get hybrid turbos and a BBK fitted with cash to spare which when fitted will make a M135i feel like a shopping cart.

As much as I don't enjoy the unreliability of my 335, I had no idea of the tuning potential when I bought it and I cannot see my self selling my 335 for another 3 years at least.....The only cars which I would replace mine with at things like XFRs/F10 M5 who's running costs are just too high for my to justify owning. I have even looked at leasing a higher performance car but your looking at spending 20k at least over 2 years, and will have nothing to show for it at the end, my 335 only cost me 20k to BUY/OWN outright.

So my next car is almost certainly going to be a Tesla S or the yet to be announced Tesla 3, performance of a M3 but the running costs of a Micra, cannot wait.....Just need to save up 90k
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

I recently worked out over half the total cost of ownership of the car was depreciation, even factoring in spending 7k on modifications over 3 years.

But for me it's a bit irrelevant, I struggle to think of find another car that offers the same performance/practicality/running costs of a 335 for 20-30k, let alone 10 which is about what mine is worth.

I've disscounted M3s because they aren't any faster than my tuned 335, and in any case my darling wife refuses to drive one, so it's a non starter.

The new Golf R has half tempted me, it's got amazing tuning potential but I priced one up with options and it came to 40k There's no way I'm going to spend 30k of my cash for the sake of getting a newer car that is not any faster than my current car, and dull to look at.

Even if I was to lease something like a M135i for 300/months + 6 months deposit over 2 years, that's throwing 9k down the drain. My 335 owns me nothing, and for 9k I can get hybrid turbos and a BBK fitted with cash to spare which when fitted will make a M135i feel like a shopping cart.

As much as I don't enjoy the unreliability of my 335, I had no idea of the tuning potential when I bought it and I cannot see my self selling my 335 for another 3 years at least.....The only cars which I would replace mine with at things like XFRs/F10 M5 who's running costs are just too high for my to justify owning. I have even looked at leasing a higher performance car but your looking at spending 20k at least over 2 years, and will have nothing to show for it at the end, my 335 only cost me 20k to BUY/OWN outright.

So my next car is almost certainly going to be a Tesla S or the yet to be announced Tesla 3, performance of a M3 but the running costs of a Micra, cannot wait.....Just need to save up 90k
WE ARE ON EXACTLY THE SAME PAGE!!!

took the words out of my mouth. Only difference, is i know what the 335i was capable of before my purchase.

The only upgrades for me would be an AMG, M5 or larger, GTR, or a Porsche Turbo.

SO those will have to wait a few years. But my 335 is a lovely place right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 03:10 AM   #5
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom

I agree with your thoughts but the xfr is a good replacement and better in so many ways.. My 335i was ultimately quicker with meth than the jag and felt quicker too due to the poor ride...

Mpg is fairly good provided you don't boot it everywhere. I'm averaging around 22mpg but expect 28mpg to be possible on a long run..

A few mods to the exhaust and a remap nets 580bhp - not too shabby.. The values are too low at the moment in my opinion.
      07-20-2014, 03:56 AM   #6
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I would love to replace my 335 with a XFR, and at £35K they really do seem to offer fab value, but the running costs are just to high for me to justify at the moment.

We're planning to change house in the next 2-3 years and that is my top priority, and with mortgagee rates almost certainly going up soon an extra £30-40K deposit is really going to help us nudge under the magical 60% LTV ratio needed for the best rates.

The way I see it, saving the cash and 'making do' with the 335 for a few years is going to translate to literally hundreds £££/month off the mortgage for the next 25-30 years ...which will mean eventually I'll be able to justify a newer car, and even if I cannot (due to kids etc) than its hardly a hard life having to live with car
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

I'll have my 335i paid off in about a year and a half. I got it knowing about the JB3/JB4 option. Like you I can't see anything to replace it with cost wise. I never intended to do any mods after a JB4 but I think I will get a LSD. I might also do better brakes and suspension. To be honest it's just for fun as the car is obviously more than quick enough already. I'm only 8 miles from where I work right now and that usually driving single lane A roads through villages.
When I consider the total cost over a few years it's not that bad and far cheaper than PCP options that were around. Plus it's mine and I can do with it what I want.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
I agree with your thoughts but the xfr is a good replacement and better in so many ways.. My 335i was ultimately quicker with meth than the jag and felt quicker too due to the poor ride...

Mpg is fairly good provided you don't boot it everywhere. I'm averaging around 22mpg but expect 28mpg to be possible on a long run..

A few mods to the exhaust and a remap nets 580bhp - not too shabby.. The values are too low at the moment in my opinion.
That sounds amazing. I'll have to mod my car to this level. Stock I'm getting 24mpg. No motorway miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

This is a dilemma I have been dwelling on a lot recently.
At the moment we are saving for a wedding early next year. The missus wants to "enjoy marriage" for a year before we start to try for kids. This works for me as it gives me the perfect opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream and get a Gallardo for a year.
The problem is, when the day comes and the Gallardo goes, I will want another sporty 4 door. And I know there is no way I will be able to replace my 335i with something as nice.
Now the car is running sweet with the meth setup from Phil, I think I'm gonna just keep it. It doesn't owe me a penny and is still unbelievably cheap to run for the performance it gives. With values going up, I'm actually making money the longer I keep it... (Thats what I'm telling myself anyway..)

WM
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post

That sounds amazing. I'll have to mod my car to this level. Stock I'm getting 24mpg. No motorway miles.
That's in the xfr.

My modded 335i would average 27mpg and 32mpg easy on a run. 450hp +...
      07-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom
I would love to replace my 335 with a XFR, and at 35K they really do seem to offer fab value, but the running costs are just to high for me to justify at the moment.

We're planning to change house in the next 2-3 years and that is my top priority, and with mortgagee rates almost certainly going up soon an extra 30-40K deposit is really going to help us nudge under the magical 60% LTV ratio needed for the best rates.

The way I see it, saving the cash and 'making do' with the 335 for a few years is going to translate to literally hundreds /month off the mortgage for the next 25-30 years ...which will mean eventually I'll be able to justify a newer car, and even if I cannot (due to kids etc) than its hardly a hard life having to live with car
Mines 2010MY with 38k and £26k..

Jaguar approved used with bullet proof warranty and roadside assist. My 335i was a money pit...