E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > If your wiper blades are parking higher than their bottom sweep spot...

07-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

If your wiper blades are parking higher than their bottom sweep spot...

If your wiper blades are parking higher than their bottom sweep spot, you should fix this before they stop working completely. I had my wipers stop working under heavy rain recently. I could get them working after stopping the car, taking off the key, and then restarting, only 5 minutes later they stopped working again, which is scary under rain. A restart with key off made them work again.
But this all reminded me that I had seen this youtube and read related this other thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=wipers

In summary there is a relay for the wipers that goes bad, and it was blue and upgraded one was dark green. Ordered the upgraded one from Ebay (OEM original) for $17 no shipment fee, received it in two days, from this seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161367891400...84.m1439.l2649

Removed the old blue relay, put in this upgraded green one, took less than five minutes. Tested the wipers, to my surprise, they stopped and parked at the bottom of their sweep range. I thought something was wrong, because I had always remembered the wipers parking going up a bit after they went down all the way. It was like that for years that I had thought it was how they were with this car. Actually this wasn't normal, and was caused by the relay issue, all these years.
During warranty period wiper blades had once hadn't worked either. Dealer had replaced the wiper motor, probably unnecessarily. The culprit was that relay.

Thanks to those who share their knowledge online, this became a simple and cheap fix for what started to be an intermittent problem.
Wanted to share for others who might end up with wipers not working under rain, don't wait for this to happen if your wiper blades are not parking correctly already.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 LCI

Thanks for sharing, never knew this happened.

Scary stuff if my wiper blades ever stopped working, we get heavy rain + heavy snow
Appreciate 0