E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Developed WG Rattle and 30ff in same day **Fixed**

07-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 6AT

Developed WG Rattle and 30ff in same day **Fixed**

Lately I've noticed my car doesn't pull as hard as it use to.

A few days after getting my D-CAN cable in and trying to set everything up to code my car had a half engine light come on. As soon as I got home I noticed the rattling.

Last edited by force_feed; 08-05-2014 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep

OK I pulled the engine cover off and found the two vacuum lines by the oil filter busted.

I replaced those and I'm still getting the half engine light (30ff) and no power.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep

I changed the vacuum lines next to the oil filter due to them being cracked. But it didn't fix the 30ff code.

I did a boost leak test on the car today and to my surprise, everything was sealed up.

So I did as advised on N54tech and was going to check the vacuum on top of each canister. Found a broken nipple on one of them

I eliminated the canisters and everything is working great. The car even feels faster than it did before, so that's a plus.

I'm not sure if I'm going to put the canisters back in. If I do I'm going to mod mine with brass barbed fittings on top and bottom.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Interesting, thanks for sharing what you found. So there's a vacuum canister delete mod or did i misread your post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by force_feed View Post
I changed the vacuum lines next to the oil filter due to them being cracked. But it didn't fix the 30ff code.

I did a boost leak test on the car today and to my surprise, everything was sealed up.

So I did as advised on N54tech and was going to check the vacuum on top of each canister. Found a broken nipple on one of them

I eliminated the canisters and everything is working great. The car even feels faster than it did before, so that's a plus.

I'm not sure if I'm going to put the canisters back in. If I do I'm going to mod mine with brass barbed fittings on top and bottom.
      08-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Thanks for sharing the solution with us ff. I'll bet this will be useful for someone around here soon enough.
      08-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

is the rattle still there?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
ef11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

Force Feed,

Anyway you can post pictures of what exactly you checked? I installed a chargepipe and DCI and am now getting a 30FF boost leak. I took it by a shop and they said the install looks good so they have no idea and I shouldn't be getting that code.

I did blow the OEM chargepipe off my car after only a few HARD pulls with the JB4 (blew hard enough that the bolted on support part even completely sheared off and the CClip portion was obliterated), so I'm thinking maybe this blow off caused a potential issue with my vacuum lines..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The only real concern if you didn't do the install yourself is, did the shop transfer the O-ring from the old CP to the new one? Could be it was overlooked and not put on. It would look fine install wise from the outside but it could cause a minor boost leak.

If not then yeah check everything Force checked. All the vacuum lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfox11 View Post
Force Feed,

Anyway you can post pictures of what exactly you checked? I instaleld a chargepipe and DCI and am now getting a 30FF boost leak. I took it by a shop and they said the install looks good so they have no idea and I shouldn't be getting that code.
      08-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_enthusiast_1 View Post
The only real concern if you didn't do the install yourself is, did the shop transfer the O-ring from the old CP to the new one? Could be it was overlooked and not put on. It would look fine install wise from the outside but it could cause a minor boost leak.

If not then yeah check everything Force checked. All the vacuum lines.
I installed it myself so I am 100% sure I installed the O-ring ha. The only other thing I can thing of is a disconnect between the lower chargepipe and the intercooler...which it could be. But I need a lift to get under my car and take off the pan and check it all out which I haven't been able to do yet. The lower chargepipe to the intercooler feels strong though so i'm very 50/50 on it.

I need a picture to see what he checked. MPower checked my vacuum lines to my diverter valves and all looked good. The ones that go to the canisters, I have absolutely no idea what the OP is talking about so I really need a pic ha
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

Does anyone know of a good way to pressure test these lines?

Mine look fine visually, but I would like to pressure test them in case there are any leaks that are not visible. I am getting a waste gate rattle and would like to make sure it isn't just these lines before I bring it to the dealer.

If I disconnect the ones near the oil filter, should they each hold pressure and if not what would I need to do to get them to hold pressure? I was thinking I could rig up a way to use a bicycle pump with a gauge to see if they are holding pressure.
      08-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep

There isn't a vacuum canister delete mod, at least I couldn't find any info on it from my search of the forums and Google.

The first thing I did was inspect and replace the vacuum lines behind the oil filter.

The canister was broke and I wanted to get my car back on the road so I removed both of them completely.

These are the vacuum canisters

This was the broken nipple

Last edited by force_feed; 08-05-2014 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
There isn't a vacuum canister delete mod, at least I couldn't find any info on it from my search of the forums and Google.

The canister was broke and I wanted to get my car back on the road so I removed both of them completely.

Here is a simple cheap fix...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870905

I would put the vacuum canisters back on. Without them, it will take longer for the wastegate to completely close and accentuate the turbo lag.

Last edited by Gizm0; 08-05-2014 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
I seen that during my search. Unfortunately I had my car torn down and no ride to go to the parts store. So I took a chance and removed the canisters completely.

I plan on modding the canisters with barb fittings and putting them back into the car. But sense removing them I've had no problems what so ever, and honestly the car pulls harder than it was before the 30ff code. Maybe it was due to the cracked vacuum lines behind the oil filter, I'm not entirely sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54CherryHill View Post
is the rattle still there?
The rattle is gone completely! I'll record a video later.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #15
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep

Updated video (no rattle)

This is what it looks like with no vacuum canister

This is how I hooked it up

I need to wash my engine bay
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP View Post
Does anyone know of a good way to pressure test these lines?

Mine look fine visually, but I would like to pressure test them in case there are any leaks that are not visible. I am getting a waste gate rattle and would like to make sure it isn't just these lines before I bring it to the dealer.

If I disconnect the ones near the oil filter, should they each hold pressure and if not what would I need to do to get them to hold pressure? I was thinking I could rig up a way to use a bicycle pump with a gauge to see if they are holding pressure.
I'm not sure. I think a smoke test at almost any general mechanic shop should work.

In my opinion I don't think you would be able to pressurize the entire intake manifold bc you will constantly loose pressure due to valves being open. But I could be wrong!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #17
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

Quote:
I'm not sure. I think a smoke test at almost any general mechanic shop should work.

In my opinion I don't think you would be able to pressurize the entire intake manifold bc you will constantly loose pressure due to valves being open. But I could be wrong!
That's what I was thinking, but I had read about someone blowing into the lines to find a leak. Maybe they were just able to hear air coming out of where it was leaking.
      08-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:

The first thing I did was inspect and replace the vacuum lines behind the oil filter.

I'm confused by why a broken nipple would throw a code but then just removing the canisters did not? Did you plug the lines completely once you pulled the canisters or did you just leave them open?

I had a shop check the vacuum lines that connect to the OEM diverter valves and they looked fine so I think my issue might be by the canister or by the oil filter if this is indeed a vacuum line problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
BMWho
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
I have the same rattle when I'm idle and rev it.

So the cause was a broken nipple on the canister? That's it?

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfox11 View Post
I'm confused by why a broken nipple would throw a code but then just removing the canisters did not? Did you plug the lines completely once you pulled the canisters or did you just leave them open?

I had a shop check the vacuum lines that connect to the OEM diverter valves and they looked fine so I think my issue might be by the canister or by the oil filter if this is indeed a vacuum line problem.
I was getting a 30ff code for low boost. The code was caused by a vacuum leak to one of the wastegate solenoids via the canister. Basically only one turbo was functioning properly.

By eliminating the canister I eliminated the vacuum leak. I connect the hose that went to the top of the canister to the line that went in the bottom of the canister. I did that for both canisters.

Last edited by force_feed; 08-05-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
force_feed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWho View Post
I have the same rattle when I'm idle and rev it.

So the cause was a broken nipple on the canister? That's it?

I'm thinking the noise is caused by the WG not having any vacuum pressure causing something to vibrate or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #22
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Yep that makes a lot of sense...
I think that is right regarding the rattle...
Appreciate 0