E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please Read:Need tail light electrical help! They stay on, car off!

08-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Arktis Metallic

Please Read:Need tail light electrical help! They stay on, car off!

I have done some research, perhaps did not find anything that could really help. My problem is this: Last night i went into my garage where my E90 2006 325xi has been parked for about 3 days. The left brake light was on! I had the keys in my pocket and the car was off. The light that was on is represented by the "white star" on the picture posted. I went ahead and started the car, with my lights set on automatic if i remember correctly and I noticed my tail lights were uneven! meaning the driver side tailight has half the "bar" (i believe LED) light on from the trunk side and not the tail light one. But the lower left brake light is on, as if this was a safe mode in case your light fails or something idk. And the passenger side it looks i believe to be normal, the "bar" is all lit, trunk and taillight across. What could possibly cause this? I am thinking i might have electrical issues. After i turned the car off, the tail lights stayed lit...this time both of them! so i went ahead locked and unlocked the car, which turned them off, but then they wouldnt blink with me hitting the lock and unlock buttons on the remote =/ ... Lastly i turned the car back on and off. Used the remote to lock and unlock and again the tails started blinking! Sooo...im just confused, i just got the car about 3 weeks ago, any help i appreciated. On yeah, my driver side window doesnt go all the way up on its own, i gotta hold the button up, this just happened too somehow! Thanks!! and sorry about the story...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone? i know its a bizarre situation... In a different forum they suggested a faulty FRM module.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I do know that there is a feature where after the car is off if you press one of the stalks the light will stay on that side only, but if you closed and locked the car this shouldn't keep it on, try unplugging the battery (negative cable) for a few hours to let the modules reset.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
I do know that there is a feature where after the car is off if you press one of the stalks the light will stay on that side only, but if you closed and locked the car this shouldn't keep it on, try unplugging the battery (negative cable) for a few hours to let the modules reset.
If i reset the modules by disconnecting the battery, would i have to re-install the FOB? and any other features?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

You can't reset the modules disconnecting the battery. It will do nothing. As was reported in another forum you posted in you most likely have a super unusual tail light failure or your FRM is corrupted or bad.
Some can be reset. Assuming new tail lights don't help and you also reported a window switch issue those both point to a FRM issue.
You have warranty you should see about the warranty dealer working this for you.
I think f-d-r-I-l-l-e-r-9 gave you good info in the other forum but post what you find out and how it is resolved. As far as I know you do not have LEDs you have conventional incandescent bulbs...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
GB-335xiCoupe
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 29k mi per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
^ This is a feature. RTFM. . One bulb in that tail light is probably just burned out.

Also, regarding your window: I had same issue. Lower the window completely, and hold the button to the count of ten... then raise the window all the way up, holding it again for a count of ten... Then it should work just fine. This process resets the limits.

It probably turns off the auto-up if it loses its indexing. This would prevent it from being forced up too high.
Maint: Walnut blast 101k, Trans/T-case Fluid 103k, OFHG 195k

Last edited by GB-335xiCoupe; 08-07-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
You can't reset the modules disconnecting the battery. It will do nothing. As was reported in another forum you posted in you most likely have a super unusual tail light failure or your FRM is corrupted or bad.
Some can be reset. Assuming new tail lights don't help and you also reported a window switch issue those both point to a FRM issue.
You have warranty you should see about the warranty dealer working this for you.
I think f-d-r-I-l-l-e-r-9 gave you good info in the other forum but post what you find out and how it is resolved. As far as I know you do not have LEDs you have conventional incandescent bulbs...
Yes i am grateful for the great info he provided me, and i will have warranty in about 300 more miles, i bought the car recently and the warranty doesnt start till' 1000 miles from the sale date milage (odd) ... but I will take it in and see what they tell me...It is a brainer figuring this out tbh coming form the import world haha...but i thank all for your input and looking forward on getting this solved soon, will stay posted!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep

What sucks is that too many things happened on this past week, i got 2 of my windows broken by someone, which will be somewhat costly, my insurance deductible was too high to even cover it, then this issue with the lights and window kinda topped it off, considering i just bought the car less than a month ago...things are going somewhat sour and its sad that all this happend to me, but i hope things get better, i love the car, love the engineering and i couldnt be happier with it. Still getting used to the BMW world, so pardon my newbie questions, coming from the DSM world which i also love.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
GB-335xiCoupe
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 29k mi per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco89 View Post
What sucks is that too many things happened on this past week, i got 2 of my windows broken by someone, which will be somewhat costly, my insurance deductible was too high to even cover it, then this issue with the lights and window kinda topped it off, considering i just bought the car less than a month ago...things are going somewhat sour and its sad that all this happend to me, but i hope things get better, i love the car, love the engineering and i couldnt be happier with it. Still getting used to the BMW world, so pardon my newbie questions, coming from the DSM world which i also love.
It has to get better... can't get much worse.
Maint: Walnut blast 101k, Trans/T-case Fluid 103k, OFHG 195k
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep

FIXED

Well heres an update I went ahead and decided to take a look at the bulbs. Pulled out the driver side bulb assembly and the bottom 2 light bulbs were lit up dim. The center one was not (which is the one that should have been) all this with lights on ofc. Pulled out the bulb assembly on the passenger rear side and ONLY the center bulb was lit up (how it should be) very bright. So i swapped bulbs from right side to left side, and the problem switched sides meaning the passenger side was now with the problem. SOOO...IT WAS THE BULB (which btw!, the bulb seemed to be fine!, see pics). I went to walmart and picked up a 21w bulb and installed it, and sure enough problem got solved. For some odd reason, my window problem got solved as well!!! So for everyone that might encounter this problem, It seems that if the regular tail light (light) stops working, (meaning the "3 rods" or "the long bars" on your E90) it is probable that your bottom light, i believe the brake light, will light up dim serving as an auxilary taillight until you replace your bulb, sort of a safety feature so that you dont drive w/o a tail light. Hope it helps people in the future!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-335xiCoupe View Post
^ This is a feature. RTFM. . One bulb in that tail light is probably just burned out.

Also, regarding your window: I had same issue. Lower the window completely, and hold the button to the count of ten... then raise the window all the way up, holding it again for a count of ten... Then it should work just fine. This process resets the limits.

It probably turns off the auto-up if it loses its indexing. This would prevent it from being forced up too high.
Great info on the window btw!! Thanks a lot, good thing is that my window seems to work just fine again. If it fails at some point i will try that out and hopefully it works if needed! Thanks for all the input!
Appreciate 0