F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Need your opinions on the lip painting option
Extreme Powerhouse

08-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Need your opinions on the lip painting option

Ok first of all, i am on my phone and trying to do this so if the pictures come out too big or small, i apologize.

Onto the topic, i have been thinking about different paint options for my front splitter and side blades. (m perf film will be installed too)
It is for 2014 335 AW.
I thoght about too many different color option and my brain is toasted.
Leave it all matt black, paint gloss black, front splitter in Aw and leave the rest matt, etc.
I finally chose to paint the front lip part and side blades in AW just like what you see on the picture i attached here.

Now, you will probably know what i am trying to ask here.
I have seen some cars coming out with red accents and thought "hey, not bad".
The nismo GtR they announced, kia pro ceed gt, benz A class...
So, i thought about how it would look on our car.
No knowledge on photoshop, i just used this pic of our f30(since that is the paint i am going for) and drew red line with my finger on the photo edit program on my phone.
Option is endless, i could leave it all black and do the red line, paint and red line, get carbon pieces and do red line, carbon pieces, paint white on some parts of it and do red line..
Not trying my buff off to be unique, but i was just wondering what you think of it.

I am guessing it could be love or hate thing. I could be flamed for even thinking about it, but hey just wanted to ask your opinions.
Everything else will have to go with the idea, such as choice of rims, etc.
Well, everything starts from a small idea.
Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
I was going to get my bottom splitter lip painted as you see here but after thinking about it and with mine being 3.5" off the ground I was worried about rock chips making it look bad in a short amount of time. The edge below will encounter more sand and debris from cars in front so I left it matte, but I still think it looks BA like the pic above on the F30.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
I was going to get my bottom splitter lip painted as you see here but after thinking about it and with mine being 3.5" off the ground I was worried about rock chips making it look bad in a short amount of time. The edge below will encounter more sand and debris from cars in front so I left it matte, but I still think it looks BA like the pic above on the F30.
Thank you for your input. What about the red line along with the AW paint? That is what i wanted to know
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

I thought of painting the lower part red also, but finally didn't for 2 reasons:
- As Dippydo stated, easy to scrape the lower part (already did yesterday, a little ).
- Think it would look too ricer
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
I thought of painting the lower part red also, but finally didn't for 2 reasons:
- As Dippydo stated, easy to scrape the lower part (already did yesterday, a little ).
- Think it would look too ricer
Good to hear there are some people who thought about that!
I agree on the "ricer" part. But i think it does come down to if you can pull it off with the rest of the mods or not.
Since i am about to get the lips painted, i still have an option to do it or not.
I do not have other mods yet except for MPE, i might wait until i get mine dropped and get new shoes on it. Then i might add the line to my lip later.
If i think i messed it up, i can just change back, or get some cf parts and go different route.
But after i used the "paint" program on my computer and drew red line on lots of f30 pics, i really don't think it would look "rice" as long as rest of the mods go with it.

Or, i might just add red tape on it and see how it looks just for fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Sorry I thought you had it red where you wanted it painted AW. Yah not feeling the red color too. Try it with vinyl first so you can take it off. My guess it will not look very good. I am more about clean and smooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Sorry I thought you had it red where you wanted it painted AW. Yah not feeling the red color too. Try it with vinyl first so you can take it off. My guess it will not look very good. I am more about clean and smooth.
Got it. I will try something red on it just to see how it looks. Thank u
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
retiredmarine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport

doing mine matte black (installed today), and just the rocker panel extension matte black...no sticker...no continue the lip line around the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmarine View Post
doing mine matte black (installed today), and just the rocker panel extension matte black...no sticker...no continue the lip line around the car.
can you post a picture when you can?
I just got my cf spoiler installed at RW Carbon and oh my it is a beauty!
Also got to check out their cf front splitter and tested on my bumper.
All I can say is, I really really want one now!!
I can't decide lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
retiredmarine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport

I posted my front splitter on here in another thread, ill post pictures of the sides when i install them.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmarine View Post
I posted my front splitter on here in another thread, ill post pictures of the sides when i install them.
Ok i will look for it
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #12
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
a member from tw, not my car.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 04:13 AM   #13
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
a member from tw, not my car.
thank you for the pictures!
Way too much red, I think.
I was thinking more of red line.
Unique though.
Well, my parts are in, getting painted not red
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #14
LukeHarper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW e46

Front splitter and side blades looks good in red. It Increased your car's appearance. I will also try this on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

hmmm interesting look, I am not sure if I like it or hate it. I would have to see it done with some better pictures before I draw a conclusion. It looks like if done right it could be awesome but it also looks like if you do it wrong it could look TERRIBLE.

I would suggest doing it in vinyl instead of paint so if it doesn't turn out well you can just rip it off

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #16
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
hmmm interesting look, I am not sure if I like it or hate it. I would have to see it done with some better pictures before I draw a conclusion. It looks like if done right it could be awesome but it also looks like if you do it wrong it could look TERRIBLE.

I would suggest doing it in vinyl instead of paint so if it doesn't turn out well you can just rip it off
Exactly. The red needs to go 'where it needs to', and this is harder than anyone can imagine lol
There are number ways the m performance front side and rear can be painted and depends on that, also how the red goes onto those is crucial.
But I do believe whoever finds a way to pull this off nice, it would look so unique fresh and awesome.
If there was a shop that would be willing to change mine around, I would totally try!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #17
FFM
PLEB R8
Rep
Drives: B9 SQ5 | R8 V8 6MT

I'm actually ok with the red accent, if it was a similar match to the M strip red, then it has relevance.

Personally I like the blades painted and the splitter black, preferably gloss black.

Although the picture shown in the OP with the reverse of that looks pretty cool.
      09-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed Motorsports View Post
I'm actually ok with the red accent, if it was a similar match to the M strip red, then it has relevance.

Personally I like the blades painted and the splitter black, preferably gloss black.

Although the picture shown in the OP with the reverse of that looks pretty cool.
My front and sides are getting painted the same way as the picture.
I just need to go get them installed when they call me.
Like you mentioned about your preference, there are just way too many ways you can do with the lip and how the red accent go based on one's own setup will make it either awesome or terrible. Wish i had skills in photoshop, i would have tried all diff possibilities.
Oh wth, maybe i need to teach myself how to do photoshop
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #19
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Hmmm, not too sure about the red accents. In the right context, could look amazing.. however if not properly executed it would look much less than desirable. As others have mentioned above, do some quick work in photoshop or play with some vinyl to figure out what you think looks best.

In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Happy modding!
      09-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Hmmm, not too sure about the red accents. In the right context, could look amazing.. however if not properly executed it would look much less than desirable. As others have mentioned above, do some quick work in photoshop or play with some vinyl to figure out what you think looks best.

In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Happy modding!
Yeah finding that "amazing" is just so hard. Thats why I chose not to mess with it at least for now
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #21
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

This guy (not my car) put a simple red stripe across the lip and I think it looks great. I might try this with pin striping tape. Or maybe even a gloss black stripe on the matte black lip; It might make it pop just enough.

I think painting the entire bottom piece looks bad bad bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #22
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
This guy (not my car) put a simple red stripe across the lip and I think it looks great. I might try this with pin striping tape. Or maybe even a gloss black stripe on the matte black lip; It might make it pop just enough.

I think painting the entire bottom piece looks bad bad bad.
That is basically color matching though.
My front and sides are getting painted in same color as my car (AW)
Just like the pictured car. Only difference is my whole lower lip part is getting painted instead of white stripe. The upper part of the splitter will be left matte.
What color is your car? And if not red, are you still going to try red stripe?
Appreciate 0