E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Speeding ticket help? *UPDATE*

09-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Speeding ticket help? *UPDATE*

Well guys I got pulled over today unfortunately. I was on the way over to my friends house this morning to pick up my wallet. I had left it in his car the night before. I was on a bridge with no one in front of me and I thought the speed limit was 65 but was actually 55. I wasn't paying attention to my speed and had my foot on the gas and next thing you know I see a unmarked car make a u-turn on the bridge and they pulled me over. Turns out I was doing 92mph unintentionally. The ticket was $445 and 6 points on my license. This is my first speeding ticket and my court date is September 25th. The cop pulled me over on the bridge which means It was in between jurisdictions and I am appearing in court in the jurisdiction she does not work. What is my best course of action here? Should I hire a traffic ticket attorney? If so, how much do they usually run and are they worth it?

*Update on Page 2*

Last edited by Otruba_843; 09-25-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Kevin52
UMN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 328i Xdrive

Garage List
Just pay the ticket, honestly getting pulled over my first time was a very valuable lesson for me as I was doing 95 in a 65. The ticket really changed my perspective.
      09-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

I would lawyer up. I mean at least they didn't get you for reckless speeding or endangerment. They'll probably make you pay and knock some points off
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 LCI

Go to court, and they will negotiate with you. IMO there's no point in getting an attorney because they can cost you up to 1K. If she doesn't show up to court don't plead guilty.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Andrew3424
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Yea def don't listen to these guys lol. You absolutely need to get Lawyor never pay for a speeding ticket those points will increase ur insurance for 39 months. Just make sure u get a decent Lawyor and assuming ur records clean should be lowered to a no point violation or at the very least you'll get 2 points defensive driving and ur back in track
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

Yep, lawyer up and let them take are of the ticket, it will be money well spent.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
Yep, lawyer up and let them take are of the ticket, it will be money well spent.

-Kevin
How much do these attorneys usually cost?
      09-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

~$300.......most of the time you end up with a fine to pay coupled to a non-driving violation....the latter is the result you are looking for.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
You've got a chance to get the ticket dismissed ("thrown out) IF you can prove that the violation did not occur w/in the officer's jurisdiction and/or if the officer was NOT w/in her jurisdiction when the citation was issued. However, I believe that you will have to dispute this matter in the court in the county out of which the ticket was issued because the other county does not have authority to overturn a ticket issued by an officer outside of its jurisdiction.

Was she a city/county cop or a state cop? If a city/county cop, you have a chance to argue jurisdiction. If a state cop, you lose regardless because her jurisdiction would be w/in the entire state and the only issue would be whether she filed the ticket in the proper court and, if in the wrong court, she can simply refile it in the proper one.

If a city/county cop, the main problem you'll have is proving that the violation actually occurred outside the officer's jurisdiction and whether or not the officer had the authority to continue to pursue you outside her jurisdiction (if the violation actually occurred w/in her jurisdiction) in order to ticket you.

Is there a county line marker on the bridge? Did you take pics of where the cop stopped you? Were there witnesses who can establish where the violation occurred and where the ticket was issued? If not, it will be just your word against hers, which is probably not winnable.

However, it's still worth the time to consult a couple of local attorneys who specialize in traffic violations. The 1st meeting should be FREE. Take advantage of that. They'll tell you whether they think it's a winnable case or not and how much it will cost (hourly fee and costs) to fight it. But, regardless of what they say, there's never any guarantee that you will win. So, you'll have to decide whether the cost is worth the effort or not w/o any certainty that you'll prevail.

Good luck!
      09-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

If this is your first offense ever, or in some time, just plead "unsafe operation of a motor vehicle", pay the exorbitant court fees and get no points.

Of course, motor vehicle laws vary all across the country, but if it's anything like New Jersey in SC, you might be able to play this card.

See below- and you're welcome.

http://depaullawfirm.com/1/post/2012...ew-jersey.html
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
You've got a chance to get the ticket dismissed ("thrown out) IF you can prove that the violation did not occur w/in the officer's jurisdiction and/or if the officer was NOT w/in her jurisdiction when the citation was issued. However, I believe that you will have to dispute this matter in the court in the county out of which the ticket was issued because the other county does not have authority to overturn a ticket issued by an officer outside of its jurisdiction.

Was she a city/county cop or a state cop? If a city/county cop, you have a chance to argue jurisdiction. If a state cop, you lose regardless because her jurisdiction would be w/in the entire state and the only issue would be whether she filed the ticket in the proper court and, if in the wrong court, she can simply refile it in the proper one.

If a city/county cop, the main problem you'll have is proving that the violation actually occurred outside the officer's jurisdiction and whether or not the officer had the authority to continue to pursue you outside her jurisdiction (if the violation actually occurred w/in her jurisdiction) in order to ticket you.

Is there a county line marker on the bridge? Did you take pics of where the cop stopped you? Were there witnesses who can establish where the violation occurred and where the ticket was issued? If not, it will be just your word against hers, which is probably not winnable.

However, it's still worth the time to consult a couple of local attorneys who specialize in traffic violations. The 1st meeting should be FREE. Take advantage of that. They'll tell you whether they think it's a winnable case or not and how much it will cost (hourly fee and costs) to fight it. But, regardless of what they say, there's never any guarantee that you will win. So, you'll have to decide whether the cost is worth the effort or not w/o any certainty that you'll prevail.

Good luck!
CA might be that way. I'm not sure SC is. Here in Indiana, we have statewide powers. Jurisdiction is meaningless other than paperwork. SC might be this way as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

92 mph...unintentionally? It doesn't sound like there's much to fight. Pay it and drive slower next time.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Whateva
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
+1 lawyer. It will be cheaper then your premiums for the next two years.

You can fight it if you think they won't show up. You win if the officer doesn't show. Lawyer for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Bridges are normally split in the middle of the channel.... it's not a no man's land.

Did the police pull you over in their jurisdiction but clock you in the other or clock you in their jurisdiction and pull you over in the other? In Virginia, if they clock you in their jurisdiction they can chase you to hell and back and all they have to do is notify the other jurisdiction of the pursuit.

But it may not matter, if there is a mutual assist between the 2 police depts., then jurisdiction won't mean a thing on that ticket.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iAP View Post
92 mph...unintentionally? It doesn't sound like there's much to fight. Pay it and drive slower next time.
+1. Hard to do that unintentionally in a 328 lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #16
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
Well guys I got pulled over today unfortunately. I was on the way over to my friends house this morning to pick up my wallet. I had left it in his car the night before. I was on a bridge with no one in front of me and I thought the speed limit was 65 but was actually 55. I wasn't paying attention to my speed and had my foot on the gas and next thing you know I see a unmarked car make a u-turn on the bridge and they pulled me over. Turns out I was doing 92mph unintentionally. The ticket was $445 and 6 points on my license. This is my first speeding ticket and my court date is September 25th. The cop pulled me over on the bridge which means It was in between jurisdictions and I am appearing in court in the jurisdiction she does not work. What is my best course of action here? Should I hire a traffic ticket attorney? If so, how much do they usually run and are they worth it?
As a former badge. Get a traffic attorney - not sure what they cost but will cost you less in the long run and he/she will argue this is a first time offense. Do not argue jurisdictions or the law. Losing prop. Judges dislike citizen who think they are lawyers and cite the vehicle code and or concurrent / proprietary jurisdictions. Not a wise move if you argue jurisdictional-based authority. Or ask/find out if there is a Diversion program. You will pay but it will not go on your license if you abide by the rules of the diversion. Most states do. In some you just pay money and in others you pay money and have to go to traffic school. But in the end if there is no diversion program...lawyer 100%.
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete

Last edited by EMITTR; 09-10-2014 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #17
BRD1234
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Miami here in Miami I got a ticket for reckless driving. Called the ticket clinic and paid them $83 and they showed up to court for me and got my ticket dismissed. I don't think the ticket clinic is anywhere besides Miami and California so you have no luck with that option.

I would just show up to court and ask because of your previously good driving record that you want them to not put the points on your record and you'll pay the court fees as a consequence.
      09-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #18
Dyeraudio
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i M Sport

Garage List
OK...I just had a court date for 90 in a 55....problem in IL is that anything 30 mph and more over posted is now a Class B Misdemeanor....that right there stays with you forever....I would have been better off getting a DUI technically...no supervision is offered for my ticket....I was looking at a $500 fine, Class B label, points and attorney fees......I hired an attorney....he was $300 flat fee. Our arguement was that on any IL Interstate the maximum speed limit is 65....despite whats posted....Cop showed up and testified too...the days of "oh, he won't show" are over my friend....Long story short i was convicted of 90 in a 65 which dropped the Class B label to a regular ticket and no points. Judge set fine at $250 and I walked. So in all I had $550 wrapped up in fees but no Class B label, no points and no insurance premium trouble.....to me it was well worth the attorney...saves money in the long run if you win.....Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
BRD1234
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Keep us updated no matter what though!
I like hearing the outcomes of things like this.
Best of luck!
      09-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #20
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
+1. Hard to do that unintentionally in a 328 lol.
It's got some grunt at highway speeds, but it was just one of those days where your head is in a completely different place if you know what I mean. It's been a long stressful week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRD1234 View Post
Keep us updated no matter what though!
I like hearing the outcomes of things like this.
Best of luck!
Will do. I had dinner with one of my good friends who is an attorney (not a criminal defense attorney, but is the guy I go to for legal advice). He gave me some good insight and knew the in's and out's on traffic tickets. He said he'd come along with me to the court date and help get it reduced. Of course I'm not shooting for a full reduction, just a point reduction or a 12 month probation with no other tickets and the ticket will get dropped since it's my first. Apparently the judges like the latter around here because it's actually pretty effective. We'll see how it goes.
      09-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #21
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin52
Just pay the ticket, honestly getting pulled over my first time was a very valuable lesson for me as I was doing 95 in a 65. The ticket really changed my perspective.
Lol @ just pay it. Never lay down and take points on your license.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #22
udm328i
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [9.00]
+1 on hiring a lawyer, I was just ticketed last week, 91 in 55.
Lawyer fee is $500. BTW, ask judge for a traffic safety course, this will also help.

Last edited by udm328i; 09-08-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0