E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > buying a car from Carmax - warranty

09-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

buying a car from Carmax - warranty

So, browsing the internet today at work, I ran across these articles regarding CarMax:

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/why-your...m-ca-814250605

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/one-year...sed-1485113319

Interesting articles, and good points are made.

Do you think buying a used M3 from CarMax is actually a better idea than finding a CPO M3 from a BMW dealer? [/B]

I was leaning ONLY towards a CPO car from an actual BMW dealership... But as I read that article... 6 years/60k warranty for like $3,000... that sounds about 100x better than what CPO or a "BMW Warranty" would cost and cover.

Thoughts?

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 08-12-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post

Do you think buying a used M3 from CarMax is actually a better idea than finding a CPO M3 from a BMW dealer?
imho NO.

To put things into perspective, an extended warranty on a E9x M3 was $7,100, back in 2010.

There is a reason for that. So that has to be built into the price of a CPO M3.

To think that some "Carmax" co. can get around it, imho is not how it works. In life, not everything is eBay or Stub Hub where the playing field is leveled.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

not saying that a CPO doesn't disclaim, but you take an already below avg. vehicle that a dealership doesn't want to CPO, buy it, and what would you expect

M3 tranny goes out good luck, wife's cousin's SMG was 12k according to the dealership, although he diy'd for about $200.

What MaxCare doesn't cover

The following are not covered under your MaxCare Service Contract:

The maintenance services and parts described under maintenance requirements as shown in the manufacturer's maintenance schedule for your vehicle. If you do not receive an owner's manual at the time of purchase, it is your responsibility to obtain a manual and follow its guidelines. See your selling location to learn how to obtain an owner's manual for your vehicle.
Other normal maintenance services and parts including engine tune-up (includes spark plugs, glow plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, and rotor), batteries, filters, lubricants or fluids, air conditioning refrigerant, engine coolant, all coolant hoses and accessory drive belt(s), wiper blades, brake pads and shoes, brake rotors and drums, suspension alignment, tires, wheel covers, wheel rims, wheels, wheel balancing, shock absorbers, exhaust system, catalytic converter, manual transmission clutch disc and pressure plate, and clutch throw-out bearing.
Glass, glass framework, fastening adhesives, sealed beam headlamps, light bulbs, lenses, trim, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, vinyl and convertible tops, paint, sheet metal, bumpers, alignment of body parts, flexible body parts, door panels, body panels, structural framework, structural welds, and removable hardtop assemblies.
Repairs made solely to meet or maintain any governmental emission standards.
Any aftermarket accessories or equipment purchased and installed after the vehicle purchase date. These include but are not limited to: anti-theft systems, radar detectors, CB radios, audio/visual equipment, cruise control, sun roof, solar-powered devices, telephones, lift kits, TV/VCR/DVD, and related components and appliances.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
imho NO.

To put things into perspective, an extended warranty on a E9x M3 was $7,100, back in 2010.

There is a reason for that. So that has to be built into the price of a CPO M3.

To think that some "Carmax" co. can get around it, imho is not how it works. In life, not everything is eBay or Stub Hub where the playing field is leveled.
Just because things cost more in 2010 does not mean they cost more now.

In 2010 insurance companies were trying to estimate repair costs on the E9X M3 since they were still under factory warranty.

Funny thing is the E9X M3 is one of the most reliable recent BMWs.

OP, If you have a rainy day fund skip the aftermarket warranty on any 2009+ E9X M3 6MT.

That way you can buy from a private party enthusiast with records AND save $$ instead of some unknown history/auction car w/ a 3rd Party Warranty (BMW CPO is 3rd Party).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
I read Doug's articles and it sounds like te Carmax warranty is pretty good. Although IMO, the E9x M3 is pretty reliable for what it is besides the plastic gear that wears out in the throttle body acuator assembly. I don't think choosing one over the other will be a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk335 View Post
I read Doug's articles and it sounds like te Carmax warranty is pretty good. Although IMO, the E9x M3 is pretty reliable for what it is besides the plastic gear that wears out in the throttle body acuator assembly. I don't think choosing one over the other will be a big difference.
Why would a M3 wind up at Car Max (i.e. from an auction), rather than at a dealership, who can make a bigger profit on a used car, than they can on a new one?

Everybody wants an M3, including myself. There's one for $32k according to Car Max near me, far below the kbb retail. So you buy it knowing you can warrant it through Car Max, knowing it's a below avg. car? I say here's an idea, how about working harder and getting more salary, so you can buy an avg. condition / avg priced car?

It's like everybody with a pc and an internet connection wants to be Wayne Carini nowadays....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
not saying that a CPO doesn't disclaim, but you take an already below avg. vehicle that a dealership doesn't want to CPO, buy it, and what would you expect

M3 tranny goes out good luck, wife's cousin's SMG was 12k according to the dealership, although he diy'd for about $200.

What MaxCare doesn't cover

The following are not covered under your MaxCare Service Contract:

The maintenance services and parts described under maintenance requirements as shown in the manufacturer's maintenance schedule for your vehicle. If you do not receive an owner's manual at the time of purchase, it is your responsibility to obtain a manual and follow its guidelines. See your selling location to learn how to obtain an owner's manual for your vehicle.
Other normal maintenance services and parts including engine tune-up (includes spark plugs, glow plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, and rotor), batteries, filters, lubricants or fluids, air conditioning refrigerant, engine coolant, all coolant hoses and accessory drive belt(s), wiper blades, brake pads and shoes, brake rotors and drums, suspension alignment, tires, wheel covers, wheel rims, wheels, wheel balancing, shock absorbers, exhaust system, catalytic converter, manual transmission clutch disc and pressure plate, and clutch throw-out bearing.
Glass, glass framework, fastening adhesives, sealed beam headlamps, light bulbs, lenses, trim, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, vinyl and convertible tops, paint, sheet metal, bumpers, alignment of body parts, flexible body parts, door panels, body panels, structural framework, structural welds, and removable hardtop assemblies.
Repairs made solely to meet or maintain any governmental emission standards.
Any aftermarket accessories or equipment purchased and installed after the vehicle purchase date. These include but are not limited to: anti-theft systems, radar detectors, CB radios, audio/visual equipment, cruise control, sun roof, solar-powered devices, telephones, lift kits, TV/VCR/DVD, and related components and appliances.

SMG trans on the old e46s are horrible and have high failure rate... besides, I want a 6MT so no worries about DCT either.

BMW CPO doesn't cover a lot of things as well...
      09-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Why would a M3 wind up at Car Max (i.e. from an auction), rather than at a dealership, who can make a bigger profit on a used car, than they can on a new one?

Everybody wants an M3, including myself. There's one for $32k according to Car Max near me, far below the kbb retail. So you buy it knowing you can warrant it through Car Max, knowing it's a below avg. car? I say here's an idea, how about working harder and getting more salary, so you can buy an avg. condition / avg priced car?

It's like everybody with a pc and an internet connection wants to be Wayne Carini nowadays....
A m3 could end up at CarMax for numerous reasons.

32k M3? No thanks. That is far below the price of the M3s I am looking at... 2010-2012 E92's CPO'ed are anywhere from 42-50k with anywhere between 25k-45k mileage.

I guess my argument is, the BMW CPO warranty or extended warranty cannot be THAT much better than any of the other warranties out there. You are paying more for the CPO, which, like I said above I bought my 328 CPO'ed and thought that was worth it, and wanted a CPO M3 until I stumbled upon these articles today, which just made me think. CPO is great, but even a CPO or BMW warranty doesn't cover that much.

The M3s are CarMax are not necessarily any "better" or "worse" than a M3 sitting on a BMW dealer's lot, CPO'ed or not.

I am not saying I am buying one from CarMax, as I still most likely prefer to go through a BMW dealer, but when I read those articles it made me think.
      09-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
A m3 could end up at CarMax for numerous reasons.

32k M3? No thanks. That is far below the price of the M3s I am looking at... 2010-2012 E92's CPO'ed are anywhere from 42-50k with anywhere between 25k-45k mileage.

I guess my argument is, the BMW CPO warranty or extended warranty cannot be THAT much better than any of the other warranties out there. You are paying more for the CPO, which, like I said above I bought my 328 CPO'ed and thought that was worth it, and wanted a CPO M3 until I stumbled upon these articles today, which just made me think. CPO is great, but even a CPO or BMW warranty doesn't cover that much.

The M3s are CarMax are not necessarily any "better" or "worse" than a M3 sitting on a BMW dealer's lot, CPO'ed or not.

I am not saying I am buying one from CarMax, as I still most likely prefer to go through a BMW dealer, but when I read those articles it made me think.
We probably don't disagree on anything. I just jumped on car max and a E92 M3 was for sale for 32k. It has to be a far below avg specimen imho

they act like they are delivering the same for less, as does that person who blogged about the Range Rover. I would title his blog, the high cost of poseur'ing.

We were all foolish in a way not to buy a new M3 in 2008 or 2009. They were not cheap, but the price and value were there. There is zero value in a 2015 M3, and the car is not even that great. It is, but it's not when compared to what it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
I saw this thread title and immediately thought of Doug Demuro, haha. He has a couple books out that are pretty awesome too. He's a funny guy! I look forward to reading anything he ends up posting on Jalopnik.
      09-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We probably don't disagree on anything. I just jumped on car max and a E92 M3 was for sale for 32k. It has to be a far below avg specimen imho

they act like they are delivering the same for less, as does that person who blogged about the Range Rover. I would title his blog, the high cost of poseur'ing.

We were all foolish in a way not to buy a new M3 in 2008 or 2009. They were not cheap, but the price and value were there. There is zero value in a 2015 M3, and the car is not even that great. It is, but it's not when compared to what it replaced.
After reading the article, I hoped on CarMax as well... it found 3 M3s... 2 'verts which I want nothing to do with, and a 2013 coupe for 52k. Im not really sure they are trying to say they deliver the same for less...CarMax in general certainly markets itself as a "wholesale-type" of car dealer, but the type of warranty they offer is kind of unrelated.

If the one you were looking at was 32k, it was probably an 08 or 09 with close to 100k miles on it... ive seen a few CPO M3s go for low 30s, but they all had 90+k on them and were 2008/9's. I really want a 2010 or newer.

Zero valve in a 2015 M3?... I don't know if I agree with that... in 4-5 years from now, I think they will be highly sought after, just like every other M3 that was made. Early 2000's e46 M3s still command prices in over 20k!!!
And not that great? very subjective, as the M3/M4 on PAPER is "better" than the e9x in every way... faster, lighter, etc...

...but the e9x has the V8 and the amazing sound. and I prefer that over the new m3/m4s and their turbo engines, as a sporty smaller car like the 3-series with a V8 is just awesome in every way. (except gas )
      09-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
I actually followed Doug DeMuro's example. I wanted a Range Rover for the family, so I traded in my 08 335xi for one at CarMax. Many of the vehicles at CarMax's dealerships are trade-ins. They aren't all auction junk. They also do a multi-point inspection of all vehicles taken in and I think the ratio is 1-in-10 become "CarMax certified" vehicles that they sell on their lots and offer their extended warranties for.

IMO if you are buying a vehicle that is a couple of years old and has a decent amount of miles on it, the CarMax warranty offers better coverage than CPO. My Rover is 4 years old with 58k miles on it and my warranty is good thru 2019 or 125k miles. No CPO that I know of offers that.
      09-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
So, browsing the internet today at work, I ran across these articles regarding CarMax:

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/why-your...m-ca-814250605

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/one-year...sed-1485113319

Interesting articles, and good points are made.

I will also be in the market for a used M3 come spring 2015 most likely ... I could probably trade my car in now for one, but I figure, what the hell is point of buying a high-performance car right before winter? (I live in PA), and next spring, 2015, the e9x models will be 1 year older, more people will be moving to the M4, and finding the exact color/option car I want will be easier. (Hopefully the 'rod bearing' issue also scares more people into ditching their E9x M3s)

Do you think buying a used M3 from CarMax is actually a better idea than finding a CPO M3 from a BMW dealer?

I was leaning ONLY towards a CPO car from an actual BMW dealership (I bought my 328 CPO from Ft. Lauderdale BMW)... But as I read that article... 6 years/60k warranty for like $3,000... that sounds about 100x better than what CPO or a "BMW Warranty" would cost and cover.

Thoughts?
I am call BS on this article, once thing I have learned with things posted on the internet, you always get people saying the world is wonderful and the group saying the sky is falling and run the other way. In this case all the comment are noting buy positive about CarMax. I do not car what company you are talking about there is always people who are dissatisfied with that company.

That article looks to me to be a planted positive article. Keep in mind extended warranty is just an insure plan, and anyone who had dealt with insurance their number one goal is to reduce the claim cost so they will look for any reason not to cover a claim.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #14
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
I actually followed Doug DeMuro's example. I wanted a Range Rover for the family, so I traded in my 08 335xi for one at CarMax. Many of the vehicles at CarMax's dealerships are trade-ins. They aren't all auction junk. They also do a multi-point inspection of all vehicles taken in and I think the ratio is 1-in-10 become "CarMax certified" vehicles that they sell on their lots and offer their extended warranties for.

IMO if you are buying a vehicle that is a couple of years old and has a decent amount of miles on it, the CarMax warranty offers better coverage than CPO. My Rover is 4 years old with 58k miles on it and my warranty is good thru 2019 or 125k miles. No CPO that I know of offers that.
Hmmm... Interesting.

Have you had any major repairs or warranty work done?

I would agree that what they seem to offer seems just as good, and is for more years, which makes it "better" than so it seems.

Only real risk is buying a auction lemon or something it seems...

I wonder what the guys on m3post would say about all this... Looks like Carnac warranty would cover the dreaded "rod bearing failures" that all the e9x m3 owners are posting about.
      09-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I am call BS on this article, once thing I have learned with things posted on the internet, you always get people saying the world is wonderful and the group saying the sky is falling and run the other way. In this case all the comment are noting buy positive about CarMax. I do not car what company you are talking about there is always people who are dissatisfied with that company.

That article looks to me to be a planted positive article. Keep in mind extended warranty is just an insure plan, and anyone who had dealt with insurance their number one goal is to reduce the claim cost so they will look for any reason not to cover a claim.
I want to hear why you think the article is BS.

He bought a Range knowingly they are not reliable and cashing in on his car max "warranty" Whats so BS about that. Not saying you should trust everything on the internet, but you seemingly call it BS and i want to know why.

12.0 @ 117
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm... Interesting.

Have you had any major repairs or warranty work done?

I would agree that what they seem to offer seems just as good, and is for more years, which makes it "better" than so it seems.

Only real risk is buying a auction lemon or something it seems...

I wonder what the guys on m3post would say about all this... Looks like Carnac warranty would cover the dreaded "rod bearing failures" that all the e9x m3 owners are posting about.
Actually yes. A couple of weeks after I bought it I noticed the air suspension wouldn't stay at the lowered "Access Height". They first checked the lines for leaks and tried recalibrating it, but when that didn't work they replaced the front air struts with no argument. My receipt shows the cost of the recalibration, parts and labor, and alignment was $2524.24 and since it was within the first 30 days of purchase I didn't even have to pay my deductible.

They also ordered 2 pairs of wireless headphones and a remote for the rear seat entertainment for me at no cost.
      09-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #17
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
Actually yes. A couple of weeks after I bought it I noticed the air suspension wouldn't stay at the lowered "Access Height". They first checked the lines for leaks and tried recalibrating it, but when that didn't work they replaced the front air struts with no argument. My receipt shows the cost of the recalibration, parts and labor, and alignment was $2524.24 and since it was within the first 30 days of purchase I didn't even have to pay my deductible.

They also ordered 2 pairs of wireless headphones and a remote for the rear seat entertainment for me at no cost.
Wow that's pretty good to know.

Who fixed it for you? Did you take it to the dealership or to carmax?
      09-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

This is actually very interesting. It will certainly put the E9x cars back in the mix for me when I am looking again in 2017.

CPO cars are just used cars with included BMW warranty. I would judge any used car on its own merits and not count on any "inspection" by either a dealership or CarMax.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
techie182
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

I also heard good stories about Carmax. I would trust Carmax over stealership CPO.

My CPO was in really bad accident(fill with bondo all over the car), Mc french fries and ketchup in my battery compartment, missing 328i emblem, missing one exhaust tip, aftermarket windshield etc. Clean record on carfax and dealership told me my car was never in accident. Found out after 4 yr of ownership when I got in accident.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
CarMax is a viable alternative to CPO. I have several friends who have bough luxury autos (Infinity G37, Merc SLK500) from CarMax and they rave about how great the CarMax warranty is. CPO is the first choice, but EVP and CarMax are good alternatives if you can't find a CPO.
      09-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #21
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
CarMax is a viable alternative to CPO. I have several friends who have bough luxury autos (Infinity G37, Merc SLK500) from CarMax and they rave about how great the CarMax warranty is. CPO is the first choice, but EVP and CarMax are good alternatives if you can't find a CPO.
What's EVP?

Lots of good post in this tread...
      09-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #22
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

I bought my 2008 e93 335i last year from Carmax with full Maxcare warranty (6 years, 125,000 miles). My two comments, to respond to some opinionated haters here with actually little experience with Carmax:
1) I looked at several cars before buying, and Carmax was by far the best example. One owner, excellent condition, and good price. Made me feel like the only place that actually wasn't trying to screw me over.
2) Being as "reliable" as it is, the Maxcare has paid for itself several times over so far (I think they shelled out close to $15k for repairs done at the BMW dealership). Two sets of failed injectors (3 at a time), failing bluetooth module (dealer took 3 trips to identify the problem, replacing everything else on the way... $$$$$), replaced convertible lock package (wouldn't be covered by CPO), replaced thrust bushings, and glove box solenoid. Maxcare exclusion based warranty (i.e. we cover everything except what is mentioned as not covered - maintenance, consumables, glass, body panels) actually covers MORE than a CPO would. And lasts quite longer...

The only issues I had was with the BMW dealer, who manages to scratch and damage my car every f**king times I take it in, but that's another story. I'm happy to know that, next time, I can take it somewhere else (reputable indy shop), and the warranty will still cover it. Would CPO do that?
Appreciate 0