E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > My military buying / purchasing experience

12-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
vaportech
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 on order

Garage List
2008 335 e93  [0.00]
Talking My military buying / purchasing experience

This is a long post but may be informative for people in the military thinking about utilizing the BMW military purchasing program. I am an army reservist that was deployed in Germany last winter.

During my last deployment I went over to Pentagon Car Sales in Kaiserslautern. I can’t speak for the other dealers participating in the military purchasing program, but I’m sure the experience will be somewhat similar. Essentially the pricing is fixed and there is no haggling. You can save a significant amount depending on how and where you import your vehicle. To participate in the program you have to be a soldier deployed on active duty overseas. You are allowed to custom order the vehicle to your specifications. The vehicle ordered can only be US spec with US options. You will receive the same warranty and services as a US purchase. With a deposit you can reserve a future allocation number. Some people may find this attractive since deployments can drain personal savings. I actually paid a deposit for a future build date.

I chose my specifications and was given a printout with the current pricing. 2 months after returning home I requested an approximation for current build dates. Since my vehicle was popular the build dates were 3.5 months ahead. I requested that my purchase move forward and was given the next available production slot. You can make changes to your specifications up to something like a week before your build date. You will not be able to access the progress of your vehicle through the BMW owners circle like US buyers can so keep that in mind. Sometimes build dates can be pushed back so stay in contact with your dealer.

Then the wait begins…

Eventually you will receive confirmation that your automobile is ready for delivery. You can choose to have it directly shipped to a port on the East or West coast. You can pay an additional fee to have it shipped to a BMW dealer near your home but this may cost around $1000. Most people will opt to pick the vehicle up themselves. For someone who doesn’t have the time, not interested in self-detailing, and reading a manual you should pay for local delivery. If you want to save some money pick it up yourself. On the west coast they deliver to Port Hueneme in Oxnard. I picked up the car in Germany, registered her, drove a 100 miles to Frankfurt and delivered her to H.M.Harms shipping. This assisted me in avoiding federal import taxes. If you ship directly you do have to pay federal import tax of 2.5%. The shipping fees are currently included in the cost of the BMW for European pick up or direct delivery. As a warning it may take up to 2 months for the car to arrive after drop off to the shipper. So you have to be patient. And yes you are making payments. I’m sure there are other shipping options available but this was my experience. Remember I am a reservist not active duty. AD personnel doing a PCS have different vehicle transportation options.

You can pay for shipping insurance through H.M. Harms (approx $250-300) or show proof of shipping coverage from your current automobile insurance. USAA automatically covers you for the shipping if you have your insurance through them.

Sometime after the car is transferred to the shipper the dealer will send you the spare key and import paperwork. If you were registered in Europe be sure to keep a copy of your registration paperwork. Otherwise you will have to pay the 2.5% federal import tax. That paperwork will be required by the customs officials when the vessel arrives at port.

Eventually you will receive a call from the importer handling your vehicle at the port. I received a call from T. Rausch Inc. This company handles many of the vehicles at Port Hueneme. They will request a packet of paperwork that your dealer should mail you be faxed to them. You can then set up an appointment time for pick up. I purchased airfare from the San Francisco Bay area and flew into Oxnard airport. It’s a small airport but conveniently close to the port. A ten minute taxi ride gets you to the front gate of the port. Ted an employee of Rauch will pick you up give you the nickel tour of the port then drop you off at your car. Unlike a showroom pickup your car will be dusty from sitting in the lot for several days. You will drive over to Teds office at the port and sign out your vehicle. You can then start getting aquainted with your new ride on the way home. Break her in however, you feel or have read. The manual does have restrictions for the first 1200 miles. Others on the forum have different suggestions. Do what you think is best.

You have 20 days in the state of California to register your vehicle with the DMV. I will update my post once I get a breakdown of that cost. But, my understanding it’s just like buying a new car in over here. I will be sad when I have to remove my Euro plates, they look kind of nice.

So what were the positives: Price, no haggling, my dealer at Pentagon Car Sales Nathan Barnes was awesome to work with and continually answered all my questions.

Negatives: a day out of my life to pick up my car, the rear towhook cover was missing (85$ to replace you can file a claim but process is long), requires patience for delivery. You have to get the car detailed yourself, I enjoy doing this so it's a non-issue.

If I can think of anything else I will update this post. Feel free to ask questions.
      12-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
aztec
Bean2GO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X4 M40i

I was wondering how it worked.. To bad they don't deliver in IRAQ haha drive around fallujah lol... jk...
      12-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
jnizzle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Awsome! I ordered mine this summer through the military program as well...as a matter of fact, my car is sitting at the VDC, it just came in last week.

I didn't know you could pick it up at the port. It wasn't an option for me...at least i wasn't told of it. I paid the $2150 to have it shipped/imported. Was that option only because you had taken initial deliver in Germany already??

I ordered my car from BMW Unilife Services in Okinawa,Japan. Order was placed in July, production was bumped up to November and car is now at the VDC. Not too bad of a wait. If anyone is stationed in Japan and want to take part in the military sales, Erwin Spina is the General Manager at Unilife....great guy to work with. Answered all my questions and made the whole process super easy!

Im just waiting for my paper work from BMWNA. I've already spoke with my delivering dealership here in San Diego. They are expecting the car, but do not have a set date for when its supposed to arrive

Anyways, for the military sales program. It worked out great for me. I can also answer questions if anyone has any. I know I had a ton before I placed my order.

-J
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
AustinLonghorn
United_States
Rep
Drives: '92Daihatsu,'02EX500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnizzle View Post
I paid the $2150 to have it shipped/imported. Was that option only because you had taken initial deliver in Germany already??
The $2,150 delivery charge for folks outside of Germany (quoted by Kolon Motors, Seoul) made the regular European Delivery program cheaper for me. $1,250 over ED invoice, and the options are at invoice price (seemed like Military Sales price sheet listed all the options at MSRP).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
vaportech
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 on order

Garage List
2008 335 e93  [0.00]
I'm not sure why you couldn't option to pick up the car yourself. It might have to do with the fact that I had the car in Germany. But ED pricing is very close to military pricing. Military pricing can beat it if the shipping issues are in your favor.
      12-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnizzle View Post
Awsome! I ordered mine this summer through the military program as well...as a matter of fact, my car is sitting at the VDC, it just came in last week.

I didn't know you could pick it up at the port. It wasn't an option for me...at least i wasn't told of it. I paid the $2150 to have it shipped/imported. Was that option only because you had taken initial deliver in Germany already??

I ordered my car from BMW Unilife Services in Okinawa,Japan. Order was placed in July, production was bumped up to November and car is now at the VDC. Not too bad of a wait. If anyone is stationed in Japan and want to take part in the military sales, Erwin Spina is the General Manager at Unilife....great guy to work with. Answered all my questions and made the whole process super easy!

Im just waiting for my paper work from BMWNA. I've already spoke with my delivering dealership here in San Diego. They are expecting the car, but do not have a set date for when its supposed to arrive

Anyways, for the military sales program. It worked out great for me. I can also answer questions if anyone has any. I know I had a ton before I placed my order.

-J
Jnizzle ya punk aint gonna say whats up to ya boy Jedi..go ahead give Erwin all the glory, hhahahahahah....hey when you get ya ride dude pics, pics, pics.....hope ya Xmas was good to go... But Military sales is the way to go......
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #7
jnizzle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JEDI View Post
Jnizzle ya punk aint gonna say whats up to ya boy Jedi..go ahead give Erwin all the glory, hhahahahahah....hey when you get ya ride dude pics, pics, pics.....hope ya Xmas was good to go... But Military sales is the way to go......
hahah my bad!...JEDI also gets credit for answering alot of my questions early on when i was figuring out the whole military sales deal...

Ya man, as soon as i GET the car...which i hope is soon.....i'll definitely post some pics.....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

Yeah I was about to say..whats up man....so looks like you gonna get your car sooner..which is good..bet the slow down is due to the holidays but hey your new year will start of right.....Dude I'm so torn I want a Z4 but I love the M3..but BMW hasn't dropped the price yet which is ticking people of bro....car should have been out with prices a while ago...so we will see.....I drove a Z4 with the M engine..damn what a rocket......
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
crashandburn45
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Garage List
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
I recently ordered a E92 335i through the military sales program. I have a scheduled production date of 2/3/8. This was by far the easiest, hassle-free car purchase I have encountered. I am a civilian contractor deployed to Iraq so I was qualified to purchase through this program. I went through First Choice MSP in Dubai and the sales lady was very nice. If you have any questions, I can also help with answering them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Parade
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Military Sales Program

I purchased my 328i Convertible through Angela Verde with superior Motors. I was referred to her by a felloow soldier. It went better than I imagined it could. She really kept me updated and I was never left in the dark about what was going on. I would buy again. passing the favor on,, you can contact her at angela@superiormotorsmsp.com if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

I boought mine thru BMW mil sales. I say the dealer is full of lies though. No VIN even though I ordered my car 2 months ago, said they couldnt bunp up my build. Build date changed 3 times and still no email from the Military sales manager.

Also, is a 100 miles on a car enough to avoid the import tax?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #12
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

angela verde is awesome and easy to deal w/ i came bak in april 08 so the military sales program is really awesome. OP, congrats on the ride and like me, i'm proud that u serve this nation. god bless bro.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 03:50 AM   #13
doctorres112
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Montego Blue

I ordered a 328i from pentagon car sales. I am in Afghanistan and heading back to Germany in like 20 days. Pick up date isn't until september. The wait is going to kill me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:37 AM   #14
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post
I boought mine thru BMW mil sales. I say the dealer is full of lies though. No VIN even though I ordered my car 2 months ago, said they couldnt bunp up my build. Build date changed 3 times and still no email from the Military sales manager.

Also, is a 100 miles on a car enough to avoid the import tax?
REGISTER THE CAR IN GERMANY. Otherwise you will pay customs fees and taxes. I know from having to pay nothing for my 335 and my family friend having to pay 7.5% on his 550 because it came straight from Germany without ever being registered.
      06-25-2008, 04:38 AM   #15
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorres112 View Post
I ordered a 328i from pentagon car sales. I am in Afghanistan and heading back to Germany in like 20 days. Pick up date isn't until september. The wait is going to kill me.
Change it to a 335. The diff is only $5k, why not?
      06-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #16
doctorres112
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Montego Blue

The car is actually for my wife, I am more into the tuner sceene. I bought a new car in 06' so it was her turn. She doesn't need the 335. But we managed to get a very well equipped 328i for 35,000. So far I can't complain about the service I have received from my dealer. Especially since I have had to do everything by email while in Afghanistan.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
REGISTER THE CAR IN GERMANY. Otherwise you will pay customs fees and taxes. I know from having to pay nothing for my 335 and my family friend having to pay 7.5% on his 550 because it came straight from Germany without ever being registered.

Oh yes I know. A friend of mine is going to drive it for about 100 miles and register it with USAREUR plates before it gets shipped here.

I wish I could know what is up with the car. I was told it would go into production last week but I dont even have my VIN yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #18
yzfman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

I ordered my e90 335i last month and its build date is August. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. I bought mine through BMW Military car sales out of Stuttgart, Germany. Great people. I will have my car registered for about 2 months then I PCS back to San Diego. What a smoking deal. I paid $39,100 for Monaco blue, steptronic and sport package. Cant wait to take delivery. Saved about $4,000.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #19
sinsity
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i cab

military sales

I have to agree with some other posts. I ordered with angela at superior motors and it's been flawless. would recommend her to anyone and will go through her again next time around.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
THE JEDI
Major
Rep

These guys are awsome so if your in Japan....

http://www.unilife-bmw-military.com

Last edited by THE JEDI; 08-14-2008 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #21
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post
Oh yes I know. A friend of mine is going to drive it for about 100 miles and register it with USAREUR plates before it gets shipped here.

I wish I could know what is up with the car. I was told it would go into production last week but I dont even have my VIN yet.
I hadn't notice till now, but you're on Warner Barracks? I was there for 5 years.