E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New member but an old forum car plus a question

12-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

New member but an old forum car plus a question

Hi all,

New to the forum but certainly not forums in general or modding BMWs.

I recognise some usernames from friends etc and am still one of the moderators on EvoTechnik and quite active on Xdrivers. I also own a heavily modded E53 X5 4.8is and was at Santa Pod.

Before even buying the car I'd already purchased a set of M3 folding/chromatic mirrors, JB4, charge pipe, BMS DCI, catch can, performance black grills, an M3 steering wheel and another M3 item....so you can tell I'm into modding lol.

So I've just picked up a 335i SE on Saturday morning. It was purchased from Nik (scaramanga) who had bought it off Mike (Mike in Hampshire) so has been on the forum for a while (so nice it's staying).

It's well modded to start with but I do have a few plans of my own for sure.

After collecting it I drove straight to drrncour's from here to trade the 359 reps with his genuine 313's and what a nice difference they make. Then drove straight to jammy's to pick up an anthracite full headlining and try to code the LCI rear lights that Nik gave me with the car.

Here's the thing and a quick question. We couldn't code out the check controls etc fully and tried for some time. Got rid of the bulb warnings etc but could not get the indicators to stop flickering on start up.

As the cars a 56 plate and probably has the earliest FRM module, is that the potential reason for it? I'm thinking I need to get the updated FRM3 module and have that coded but just wanted to know if anyone else with an earlier (pre march 07) fitted the LCI rear clusters and got round the coding?

Will get some pics up and specs and will start a build thread for the mods as they happen.

Thanks,

Raj.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

All I can say is that you bought a lovely motor. I have installed CIC with DAB and combox and I know that Nik looked after the car very well.

If you wish, you can upgrade the FRM to FRM3 but it is not necessary. You need to know what you are coding and how you are coding. I have done multiple cars with FRM1 and no issues so far. One guy on the forum went to a coder who works in kebab shop (not sure who is that person) in hemel hempstead and this guy could not code his car despite of spending 1 hour. Done the same job in 20 minutes.
      12-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
All I can say is that you bought a lovely motor. I have installed CIC with DAB and combox and I know that Nik looked after the car very well.

If you wish, you can upgrade the FRM to FRM3 but it is not necessary. You need to know what you are coding and how you are coding. I have done multiple cars with FRM1 and no issues so far. One guy on the forum went to a coder who works in kebab shop (not sure who is that person) in hemel hempstead and this guy could not code his car despite of spending 1 hour. Done the same job in 20 minutes.
Hi Sam.

Yes it is a nice motor for sure although I did have to so me the whole of yesterday cleaning it lol.

He did say you had done the CIC for him.

I might have to arrange to come down to you to get them coded then and tie it in with the guy who does the M3 dial upgrade.

Will see when I can get down London ways again and will get in touch then.

Thanks also for replying.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Can someone post all the bulb checks you have to disable for the FRM?

They are different from what's in NFRM & I couldn't find which are related to the indicator bulb checks (that cause the initial multiple flashes on start up)?

I managed to remove all the errors & stop the fast indicators but not the initial flicker?

I even tried deactivated every single bulb check (I know this is not necessary)..... annoying!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post
Can someone post all the bulb checks you have to disable for the FRM?

They are different from what's in NFRM & I couldn't find which are related to the indicator bulb checks (that cause the initial multiple flashes on start up)?

I managed to remove all the errors & stop the fast indicators but not the initial flicker?

I even tried deactivated every single bulb check (I know this is not necessary)..... annoying!
does the car have frm or nfrm?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

No messing! Get some pictures up!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
does the car have frm or nfrm?
Car has FRM
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Car has FRM
this might help...Page 1 & 4

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553832

ive tried this way and its worked. however i think i would prefer on my own car in future to do it the VO way and have FRM2 or above.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
this might help...Page 1 & 4

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553832

ive tried this way and its worked. however i think i would prefer on my own car in future to do it the VO way and have FRM2 or above.
Cheers mate

I never turned these checks off:

FEHLERMELD_CC_RL_BL_1_L
aktiv
FEHLERMELD_CC_RL_BL_1_R
aktiv
FEHLERMELD_CC_RL_BL_2_L
aktiv
FEHLERMELD_CC_RL_BL_2_R
aktiv
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg330 View Post
No messing! Get some pictures up!!
Lol no worries. I'll get some as of yet I've been a bit slow and not taken any lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Cheers for the help guys. Hopefully get it sorted but agree with you on possibly just upgrading to the newer frm module first.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cheers mate

I never turned these checks off:

FEHLERMELD_CC_RL_BL_1_L
aktiv
FEHLERMELD_CC_RL_BL_1_R
aktiv
FEHLERMELD_CC_RL_BL_2_L
aktiv
FEHLERMELD_CC_RL_BL_2_R
aktiv
anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Cheers for the help guys. Hopefully get it sorted but agree with you on possibly just upgrading to the newer frm module first.
if i were you i would get the bulb checks coded out first. live with it and maybe in future get FRM2.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
if i were you i would get the bulb checks coded out first. live with it and maybe in future get FRM2.
What advantages does the frm2 have over the frm and just coding out the bulb checks?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
What advantages does the frm2 have over the frm and just coding out the bulb checks?
auto lights really id say main one is. i.e unlocking it and the side lights and rear lights come on. can also code more on the FRM2 such as brighter angels and angels dont dim when dipped beam on etc.

theres a couple on ebay now i think for around 80 but will need coding to your car properly. im having trouble coding mine as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #15
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
auto lights really id say main one is. i.e unlocking it and the side lights and rear lights come on. can also code more on the FRM2 such as brighter angels and angels dont dim when dipped beam on etc.

theres a couple on ebay now i think for around 80 but will need coding to your car properly. im having trouble coding mine as we speak.
Interesting one as I'm sure the auto lights on unlock does that already. I think I might need to get the module out and check the part number lol.
Appreciate 0