E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Touching up chips

01-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
raspo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 09 325i

Touching up chips

I recently bought a used e90 from Sytners, and we agreed that they would touch up the chips for me (ruby black) before I collected. I was disappointed in their service for a couple of reasons, one of which was they called me in to collect the car early (so the salesman wouldn't have to come in on xmas eve to deliver). When I got there, it turned out the chips hadn't been touched up (which he was well aware of before he rang me) bc they didn't have the individual colour in and were waiting for it.

I've never touched up chips on my own before, but given how sloppily they have been, I am wondering if it is a waste of a journey (if they do the chips as sloppily as they have handled the rest) and I am better off trying to learn to do it on my own.

Is a dealer likely to do a much better job with something like this than a beginner?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Watkins01
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

A dealer isn't likely to do a good job, but then again neither is a beginner not willing to put the right amount of time in. Personally I'd check this video out as it's pretty much my go to and having showed it to others I think it's well worth a watch before attempting anything...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi3xmeO6C4
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

I would have thought they would have got a man in a van to do it. Unless they have their own in-house bodyshop. Some BMW dealers do.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
raspo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watkins01 View Post
A dealer isn't likely to do a good job, but then again neither is a beginner not willing to put the right amount of time in. Personally I'd check this video out as it's pretty much my go to and having showed it to others I think it's well worth a watch before attempting anything...
Thanks a lot for that - very informative. I think I am going to get my manicurist to help me.

But seriously, I think that IS doable. The only thing I had any question about what type of polisher he mentioned to buff after the wet sanding (at the end with the leveling fluid and the microfibre). - and I think I already have everything else I need.

Last edited by raspo; 01-05-2015 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
raspo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
I would have thought they would have got a man in a van to do it. Unless they have their own in-house bodyshop. Some BMW dealers do.
It's the sytner's in chigwell, which I believe does have its own body shop. I wonder if that means they would take the time to do it properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Try this?

http://www.drcolourchip.co.uk/select-color
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watkins01 View Post
+1 for Larry
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspo
Quote:
It's the sytner's in chigwell, which I believe does have its own body shop. I wonder if that means they would take the time to do it properly.
Can't speak for all BMW dealers but my local one seem pretty honest. When I asked about wheel refurb they said it was a man in a van, when I enquired about some paint work getting resprayed a guy from the body shop talked me through what he would do
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M sport

Quote:
Can't speak for all BMW dealers but my local one seem pretty honest. When I asked about wheel refurb they said it was a man in a van, when I enquired about some paint work getting resprayed a guy from the body shop talked me through what he would do
+ 1

Its worth asking the dealer at first. Not all of them are dishonest and rubbish - just people working for a business at the end of the day. Hopefully you'll get someone nice who cares and will give you good information to make an informed choice
Appreciate 0