E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > RunFlat Security For Non Runflat Tyre Owners

01-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

RunFlat Security For Non Runflat Tyre Owners

A question for many including myself so I've bought some of this to make things a little easier. It's about as close as you'll get from what I've researched to RFT security.

Watch the video's http://www.ride-on-uk.com see what you think

Last edited by old grey steve; 01-08-2015 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I remember my dad using something similar the best part of 40 years ago but it was only a temporary repair & the tyre still had to be plugged / vulcanised. This looks like a permanent repair which looks interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330e MSport

Looks good might have to get some.
I've got a can of tyre weld but that's for after you get a puncture so to turn normal tyres into RFT's without the harsh ride sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

Yeah, looks impressive. Certainly better than the tyreweld option I've been using so far. Think I'll have to get some. Excellent for bikes as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
Looks good, I'll be storing the link for when I'm next replacing tyres. Current ones not got great amount of tread left so wouldn't be best value at the moment for me.

Similar idea existing for bikes (pedal variety) although the sealant used in those is for much smaller holes than 6mm.
      01-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

so, pre puncture prevention gloop, rather than post puncture repair gloop - neat.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Mines arrived so going in over the weekend
      01-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I read that it can be used in run flats so it would be like a double security. There are some other variants and on one of the sites I found it forms a red layer on the inside of the tyre. It is easy to peal off and does not damage the tyre or alloy so a tyre fitter won't hate if it comes to removing the tyre. Awesome. Ordered!

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 01-09-2015 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
You can also get the BMW kit as supplied in the M3 (which is never fitted with runflats from the factory). Sits nicely in the cut-out in the boot in its own BMW bag...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
You can also get the BMW kit as supplied in the M3 (which is never fitted with runflats from the factory). Sits nicely in the cut-out in the boot in its own BMW bag...
Phil I've got the kit in my boot already, it's a working option once you have a puncture and you've pulled over hut it out the boot and done the necessary, this is different as the tyre gets punctured a small amount of the moose(if I can call it that is released)sealing the puncture meaning for me I'll still be able to drive with a minimum loss of pressure, difference here is like a RFT after 50 or so miles I'm not in theory looking at replacing the tyre due to the fact that deflation has deformed the reinforced side wall.

Mind you on a RFT, could you still use the stuff
      01-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #11
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I'm looking into this. What about when it becomes time to change a tyre? Will this goop all just stick to the inside of the old tyre? Will the tyre people be a bit annoyed at getting this stuff on their tyre fitting machine? Will it be messy.

Products like this are good for 2 yrs from what I can see. It probably still works after that but isn't guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #12
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

It works for a nail, but not for a gash. It will also gum up the rim throwing off your balance and cleaning it out isn't worth it. Fine for slow passenger cars with heavy steel rims and wide sidewalls but sucks for us and only helps sometimes. Getting towed is cheaper than a new rim.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #13
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
It works for a nail, but not for a gash. It will also gum up the rim throwing off your balance and cleaning it out isn't worth it. Fine for slow passenger cars with heavy steel rims and wide sidewalls but sucks for us and only helps sometimes. Getting towed is cheaper than a new rim.
yes i'm surprised by some of the claims like better fuel efficiency. Just how exactly??? Is it by cooling the tyres? Surely that's not even going to offset the cost. Just being picky.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
On my bike, I seem to collect nails and screws, so I might get some when I put new tyres on in the spring time.

If it works out well, I might well put some in the car.
      01-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
I'm looking into this. What about when it becomes time to change a tyre? Will this goop all just stick to the inside of the old tyre? Will the tyre people be a bit annoyed at getting this stuff on their tyre fitting machine? Will it be messy.

Products like this are good for 2 yrs from what I can see. It probably still works after that but isn't guaranteed.
If you have a look at the website all these questions are answered!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #16
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
yes i'm surprised by some of the claims like better fuel efficiency. Just how exactly??? Is it by cooling the tyres? Surely that's not even going to offset the cost. Just being picky.
I wondered that too, the bottles weigh a fair bit I can tell you(I got 8 for my car with a view of using around 5.5 bottles according to the measuring scales supplied)so if you're talking rolling resistance then surely in my mind you'd add to this but again

But I've done 2 puncture repairs today shown both customers this stuff both have bought in to the concept and are awaiting mine being installed, but I think and I've been tracking this for some time that it is a damn neat solution to the age old puncture problem that non RFT users face(though if you get a side wall puncture your stuffed)
      01-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #17
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

So I'm guessing I'll need the best part of 11 bottles to do both summer & winter tyres
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #18
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
So I'm guessing I'll need the best part of 11 bottles to do both summer & winter tyres
If you look at the website info I posted on the OP everything you need to know is on their re tyre sizes and volume of ride on sealant required
      01-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #19
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Yes. But
1 they're selling the stuff so they want to make it sound good on their siteam
2 everyone I've asked about this who knows about this stuff says stay away like the plague. It ruins your rims and doesn't help in most situations
3 claims like it improves your gas mileage aRE dubious at best. It would have to assume that you don't keep your tire, not tyre, pressures at the correct levels, and that this will somehow miraculously stop air from escaping to keep you maintaining your pressures, to even have any merit which shows how underhanded their claims are.
I wouldn't ever do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

I would not use the stuff. Had some a few years ago and in theory its great; however, in reality I could not wait to get rid of it. I had two punctures that it did not cure and I had to limp back to a garage for a repair. It also seems to throw the wheels out of balance, particularly when the car has been standing for a while. Maybe 5 miles of driving and it cures itself. Towards the end of the life of he tyres I had a leak that 3 garages could not find. In the end, I just changed the tyres and now wont use it.

Also, a friend of mine had a garage that used to provide the service, £40 for 4 wheels. There was little demand so he gave up.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #21
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
I would not use the stuff. Had some a few years ago and in theory its great; however, in reality I could not wait to get rid of it. I had two punctures that it did not cure and I had to limp back to a garage for a repair. It also seems to throw the wheels out of balance, particularly when the car has been standing for a while. Maybe 5 miles of driving and it cures itself. Towards the end of the life of he tyres I had a leak that 3 garages could not find. In the end, I just changed the tyres and now wont use it.

Also, a friend of mine had a garage that used to provide the service, £40 for 4 wheels. There was little demand so he gave up.
Interesting:

I done mine at work before doing a 86 mile round trip. The only observation id make at this stage is the same as you made Jeff re it throws a wobbly re wheel balancing as I now have a definite though slight tremor.

It was something I was thinking about pre install, would I have to post fitting re balance the wheels? The website and all the install info side of things don't mention anything at all about re balancing on the opening page you get the following statement "hydrodynamically balance tire/wheel assemblies (with or without wheel weights) for the life of a tire" plus a bit more which you kind of feel they are saying it will 'adjust?"as you drive to smooth things out? But this was what I read and opted to leave well alone and follow all instructions.

When you check on FAQ's you see this comment.

Q: Does Ride-On (TPS) run to the bottom of the tyre when the tyre is not in motion?

A: No. Ride-On (TPS) contains specially selected binders which prevent this from happening. The sealant remains in place covering the interior surface of the tyre. If a tyre treated with Ride-On (TPS) is stored for a prolonged period of time, some of the Ride-On (TPS) can eventually pool in the bottom of the tyre. Once the vehicle is driven for 3 to 5 miles, Ride-On (TPS) will again re-coat the inner surface of the tyre. Note: the tyre may briefly vibrate and be out of balance until Ride-On (TPS) has had a chance to evenly coat the tyre. When Ride-On (TPS) has re-coated the tyre, there should be no further balancing problems.

If you felt the contents of 7 bottles in terms of the stuff, weight wise it's quite heavy. So would it effect the car once rolling? The blurb seems to suggest no, however further down the FAQS section:

"Q: How often should I have the wheel balance be checked?

A: A wheel should be balanced whenever a tyre is demounted and replaced (changing its relative position on the wheel), when a balance weight is moved or removed, and whenever you purchase new tyres. Of course, at the first sign of vibration or irregular tread wear, your car should be thoroughly checked for wheel balance and alignment, and for worn or broken mechanical parts.

Ride-On TPS is designed to hydrodynamically balance truck and bus tyres, thus reducing tyre imbalance and vibrations that cause the tyre to hop and bounce on the road. These vibrations increase the tyre's operating temperature and promote irregular tread wear. This feature is especially useful for fleets that do not balance the tyres on their Class 3-8 vehicles and trailers.

Many trucking fleets are switching from conventional tyre balancing powders to Ride-On TPS to help them balance their truck tyres and to help them with their pressure maintenance programs. Our long haul customers have reported tyre life improvements of up to 25% or more.

Q: How about wheel balancing equipment? Is there a difference?

A: There are two types of wheel balancing equipment, Static and Dynamic. Dynamic balancers are again divided into two basic types – those that balance the tyre and wheel assembly on the vehicle, and those that balance the assembly off the car. They are called "Dynamic" balancers because they balance the tyre and wheel while it is spinning. There is one type of machine, the "static" or "bubble" balancer, which does not indicate which side of the tyre is heavier than the other and does not show precisely where the weight should be placed. It is impossible to do an accurate dynamic balance with this device."

So re wheel balancing... Interesting. Hence I left well alone.

I took it easy for the first 40 miles but having done as said 86 miles the tremor is there so the next thing is to get the wheels balanced at work then I will re evaluate the situation again.

Early days concept wise, web wise this looks the ideal solution to rolling puncture prevention, I will carry out another drive during tomorrow and test your "csr sitting idle"theory to see if while driving the tremor 'alters' since I last drove it, I'll of course get the wheels re balanced as stated and will report back during the week re findings. If by carrying out this preventive measures I arrive at the same conclusions as yourself Jeff it would be safe to assume concept excellent delivery of results "must try harder"

I'll let you know

Last edited by old grey steve; 01-10-2015 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #22
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

I had mine balanced with the tyres new then had the Ultraseal/Punturesafe/Etc.... put in. The balance was obviously out, so I called Event Tyres back and told them they were not quite right (although Event Tyres did them fine). The guy re-balanced them and said that they were OK. As I tested them over the next few days, it was just the same.

When I had one of my punctures, the garage showed me the inside of the tyre; it looks slightly like washing up liquid, bluey colour and thicker than treacle. It's was pretty obvious that the stuff would settle to the bottom of the tyre when left for a period.

When I had the puncture, the nail stuck in the tyre and it slowly deflated. Thinking about this, the sealant seals the rubber, but if the nail stays in the tyre (as is often the case) will it still seal it - in my case, NO. The videos on the websites show things such as a knife plunged into the tyre and then pulled out - obviously this would be easier for the sealant to repair.

Also, I recently had a puncture in a side wall. If I had the sealant in my tyre, would it have repaired the side wall and potentially weakened the structure of the tyre? Who knows?

The information that I saw on the 'net said that MOD-type vehicles used the stuff - this is probably an ideal use for it, at speeds of c10 MPH. Could be OK for maybe mountain bike tyres or similar.

One of the best features of M-Sport suspension is that although the ride is pretty dire on Uk roads around town, when you are on the motorway, the ride is great - the faster you go, the better the ride. However, unbalanced wheels really spoil the experience.
Appreciate 0