E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is my car just destined to be sloooowwww???

04-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Is my car just destined to be sloooowwww???

I know you've been seeing a lot of posts by me recently, but...please hang in there with me for just a little longer. There is a reason for this madness. Besides, this madness IS your fault!!

I've had this car for 4 years ('08 328i E93). I wasn't thinking performance at all until the (extended) CPO expired and I started spending more time on this forum (which is where "your fault" comes in. Ha...). Before that, I just focused on cosmetic and audio changes.

But now...I have the need for speed. Call it a midlife crisis or whatever, but I want the maximum I can get out of this car. I may have unrealistic expectations, knowing how heavy this car is (nearly 4k pounds, due to the roof assembly) but I really want to see my 0-60 speeds improved.

The best I've gotten out of this car 0-60 mph is 7.0 secs, which is close to what BMW claims for the 328i E93 with auto (6.7 secs). Most times I get 8 secs. I was hoping that the PE, Eurobox, 3.0 manifold and AA tune would knock some time off that, but it hasn't. I have to say the car feels faster, especially from 20->80 or 60->100 but that slow 0-60 time just haunts me.

I've been reading about launching techniques, etc and have tried everything. She is just a dog off the line....or am I expecting too much from this obese vert (with a sub box)?

BUT...Could there be something wrong...bad/dirty MAF, vanos solenoids, plugs, coils?? The car seems to be idling and running very smoothly and it 's not throwing any codes (which my mechanics say rules out the problems I'm worried about). I have felt a slight hesitation a few times when accelerating through 2nd and 3rd gears. NOTE: The car did throw a vanos code immediately after some oil leaks were repaired a few months ago and the solenoids had to be removed and cleaned. Could there still be an issue there?

I'm sure that I'm driving my mechanic friends crazy but my gut tells me that there is something we're missing...which might also explain why my car wouldn't take the usual AA tune (threw a DME/torque, DSC, and transmission code and went into limp mode with the first tune).

Any input/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

(PS. I plan to dyno test her next week with an onboard computer to make sure the 3 stage is working properly. But, it sure feels like it is....very smooth and quick from 4k->redline without any drop in power).
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 04-18-2015 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

So does the AA tune work now? No improvement in power?

How does torque feel?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
So does the AA tune work now? No improvement in power?

How does torque feel?
Just this morning, I just put in the third in a series of three tunes that Pedro at AA formulated last week in an attempt to figure out why it was throwing those three codes and going into limp mode. The car did well with the first two in the series (drove it for over 48 hrs and 75 miles with each) and appears to have accepted the last one I put in this AM (about 55 miles of hard driving, multiple engine stop/starts....would have limped by now, most likely).

As for improvement in power: I'm sorta lost in the butt dyno feel thing now after all that has happened. To be honest, I never used to drive the car this hard before. But after adding the PE, I developed a lead foot.

I would have to say that the car definitely FEELS faster...quicker off the line and quite a bit faster when accelerating while in motion after the mods and tune. It just may be that the weight of the vert (500 more pounds than the coupe) is too hard to overcome for better 0-60 times.

I know the mods I've done don't really add significant HP to the wheels when it comes to launching from a standing position, but...are all E93 328s this slow off the line? I've searched this forum and the Net and all I find is BMW numbers. Guess the vert is meant for cruising, which is why I got her to begin with.

How much is that ESS supercharger again??? Ha...
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 04-18-2015 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Just cruise brother.....unless you go ess supercharger.....you are not going to see significant progress and with that said if your really looking for more power look no further than the 328s brethren the 335 that should keep you satiated and will help burn a hole in your pocket or your life for that matter.
What ever you do....goodluck and keep an eye for out for Johnny Law because with all that speed you can bet he will be looking for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Just cruise brother.....unless you go ess supercharger.....you are not going to see significant progress and with that said if your really looking for more power look no further than the 328s brethren the 335 that should keep you satiated and will help burn a hole in your pocket or your life for that matter.
What ever you do....goodluck and keep an eye for out for Johnny Law because with all that speed you can bet he will be looking for you.
Even then, don't get a vert.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good advice. Ha... Why do we want all of this power when we all get tired at some point of looking over our shoulders for JL's blue lights? It was one of the great things about opting for a 328 convertible: I just felt like cruising...even happy going the speed limit.

But then I got a little bored and started reading the NA Engine Mods part of this forum instead of just perusing the Picture Gallery or the Audio sections. BIG mistake! Thanks guys!!! THEN, as fate would have it, a 3.0 manifold fell into my lap the week after I read that thread and I was off and running.

The main purpose of the looong post (sorry) that started this thread was to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything that was robbing my car of optimal performance. Heck, the other day I was ready to order new plugs, new coils, new MAF and new vanos solenoids...anything to make sure that the car wasn't suffering needlessly. My mechanic friends told me to calm down and watch for any faults before wasting that cash.

But, after putting a bottle of Teckron in her and driving the heck out her this AM to test out the new tune and seeing how smoothly she redlined time after time, I guess I have to accept the limitations that come with this heavy car....or do I???

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 04-18-2015 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
....or figure out how to remove all of the roof assembly and make a permanent vert out of her.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah5411 View Post
Good advice. Ha... Why do we want all of this power when we all get tired at some point of looking over our shoulders for JL's blue lights? It was one of the great things about opting for a 328 convertible: I just felt like cruising...even happy going the speed limit.

But then I got a little bored and started reading the NA Engine Mods part of this forum instead of just perusing the Picture Gallery or the Audio sections. BIG mistake!!! Thanks guys!

THEN, as fate would have it, a 3.0 manifold fell into my lap the week after I read that thread and I was off and running.

The main purpose of the looong post (sorry) that started this thread was to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything that was robbing my car of optimal performance. Heck, the other day I was ready to order new plugs, new coils, new MAF and new vanos solenoids...anything to make sure that the car wasn't suffering needlessly.

But, after putting a bottle of Teckron in her and driving the heck out her this AM to test out the new tune and seeing how smoothly she redlined time after time, I guess I have to accept the limitations that come with this heavy car....or do I???
I feel your pain brother! I am one year into my car and I have spent over $8K in mods thanks in large part to this forum! More recently however I was diagnosed with M3 fever, which really has be perplexed. As a daily driver, do I really need 400 plus horsepower? No I don't! Do I really want to take a bath on my car? No I don't! Do I really want to pull $40K out of the bank to buy something I really don't need? Not really I don't! Am I in love with a mean sounding BMW V-8? Damn right I am! I am really hoping this phase or fever, or whatever the Hell it happens to be will pass sooner than later. . . if it does, I am buying catted headers!
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
I feel your pain brother! I am one year into my car and I have spent over $8K in mods thanks in large part to this forum! More recently however I was diagnosed with M3 fever, which really has be perplexed. As a daily driver, do I really need 400 plus horsepower? No I don't! Do I really want to take a bath on my car? No I don't! Do I really want to pull $40K out of the bank to buy something I really don't need? Not really I don't! Am I in love with a mean sounding BMW V-8? Damn right I am! I am really hoping this phase or fever, or whatever the Hell it happens to be will pass sooner than later. . . if it does, I am buying catted headers!
You should buy them anyhow, if you do get an M3 part out and sell me some goodies. (I'm kinda selfish, I know)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311
Quote:
Yeah.....verts are for cruising....and you sure as sh!t don't want to roll over in one.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:24 PM   #11
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thankfully, I haven't contracted that condition (M3 Fever)...yet. Of course, I drool on them when I see one like any other 328 owner, but the combination of knowing I'd probably hurt myself with that kind of power, the hit at the pump and my current lusts for an F33 keep my immunity up.

Now...I have been exposed to Headers Disease and waiting to see what happens after the incubation period is over.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:47 PM   #12
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
. . . waiting to see what happens after the incubation period is over.
The incubation period is highly overrated! However, the intoxicated period is not, I just "under the influence" ordered AFE catted headers!
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #13
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The incubation period is highly overrated! However, the intoxicated period is not, I just "under the influence" ordered AFE catted headers!
Wow...that's a rapid onset influensa.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #14
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Wow...that's a rapid onset influensa.
Car's weight is your main issue. You can look into reducing weight and adding headers would help but it will not be a wow improvement. That is a lot of weight with driver for that engine. Enjoy the car for what it is and not what it is not, or just get a different car.

What wheels/tires are you using and what is the weight of fronts and rears?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Car's weight is your main issue. You can look into reducing weight and adding headers would help but it will not be a wow improvement. That is a lot of weight with driver for that engine. Enjoy the car for what it is and not what it is not, or just get a different car.

What wheels/tires are you using and what is the weight of fronts and rears?
I am running Alufelgen CS-7s in a square setup...19x8.5 all around with 12mm spacers in the rear and Michelin PSS (235/35-19). Wheels weigh (26.4 lbs). Tires weigh 23 lbs each so basically 50 lbs a corner.

The fastest way to dump some weight - other than to never fill up the tank more than half way - would be to remove the sub box, but...gotta have that bass. So, I guess it is what it is.

The car is definitely livelier and more fun to drive with what I've done, so...no regrets. She certainly sounds faster and more powerful with the PE.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #16
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
I am running Alufelgen CS-7s in a square setup...19x8.5 all around with 12mm spacers in the rear and Michelin PSS (235/35-19). Wheels weigh (26.4 lbs). Tires weigh 23 lbs each so basically 50 lbs a corner.

The fastest way to dump some weight - other than to never fill up the tank more than half way - would be to remove the sub box, but...gotta have that bass. So, I guess it is what it is.

The car is definitely livelier and more fun to drive with what I've done, so...no regrets. She certainly sounds faster and more powerful with the PE.
So as an example of affordable and noticeable improvement you can get Apex 17" 9.0 rim @ 16.5 lbs. The tire would also be a bit lighter but let's assume the same 23 lbs and you are at 16.5+23=~40lbs. You would also delete spacers. You'd have significant 40+ lbs unsprung weight delete. This would improve your acceleration, braking and handling all around. The tires would be cheaper also.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #17
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
You should buy them anyhow, if you do get an M3 part out and sell me some goodies. (I'm kinda selfish, I know)
I was reading the recent thread in which you had dyno'd your car. You mentioned a few things that you were considering to optimize your car's performance, including cleaning your vanos filters, swapping your MAF and altering your tune (fuel mix) based on the dyno results.

That's the kind of thing I had in mind when I started this thread....what I can do to optimize what I have.

Are you throwing any vanos or MAF codes that are pointing you in that direction, do you just suspect problems there or are you doing these things just to CYA? Do you think a dyno test would help me? I have a shop that's 10 mins from my work.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #18
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Car's weight is your main issue.
This is definitely the fundamental problem. Using the same torque curve I got from adding coated and wrapped headers and changing the weight to about 4200lbs or so a theoretical 0-60 time with an absolutely perfect launch and zero shift times is just under six seconds whereas if the weight were around 3560lbs the theoretical time drops to just under five seconds. Real world times will be slightly longer of course but this method makes for a decent way to compare changes for a given dyno curve.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #19
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
This is definitely the fundamental problem. Using the same torque curve I got from adding coated and wrapped headers and changing the weight to about 4200lbs or so a theoretical 0-60 time with an absolutely perfect launch and zero shift times is just under six seconds whereas if the weight were around 3560lbs the theoretical time drops to just under five seconds. Real world times will be slightly longer of course but this method makes for a decent way to compare changes for a given dyno curve.
What justpete said!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Forgot I had the stock torque curve on another tab in Excel. Stock 0-60 with my 328i is a bit over six seconds, again with a perfect launch and zero shift times. At 4200lb it's just a bit over seven seconds. FYI.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #21
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
I was reading the recent thread in which you had dyno'd your car. You mentioned a few things that you were considering to optimize your car's performance, including cleaning your vanos filters, swapping your MAF and altering your tune (fuel mix) based on the dyno results.

That's the kind of thing I had in mind when I started this thread....what I can do to optimize what I have.

Are you throwing any vanos or MAF codes that are pointing you in that direction, do you just suspect problems there or are you doing these things just to CYA? Do you think a dyno test would help me? I have a shop that's 10 mins from my work.
You totally can still do it, but realize that I'm crazy (not JustPete crazy, but still)...so you might still want to consider what some other people are suggesting - light wheels, seats? headers, custom retune you know...simple things.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

As for repairs, it's because my car WAS having issues, especially one where if I depress the clutch in at high speeds/rpm, the car will drop down to 0 rpm and stall. Only happens above 60mph. No idea why.
Appreciate 0