F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Anyone try these Switchback (dual-color) LEDs for turn signals?
ARMA SPEED

04-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Anyone try these Switchback (dual-color) LEDs for turn signals?

I've been looking for Switchback LEDs (Amber color for turn signalling, but White color for low-beam DRL) for a little bit now, and while they seem to be proliferating, not much has been made available yet for our F30's PY21W stock turn signal bulb.

I currently have an all-white look for all my front bulbs (DRL, parking light, low-beams) - except for the turn signal bulb still being the stock amber halogen. I don't mind the amber color for turn signaling since its not used frequently (beside it being required by law), but i don't like the amber color as a constant-on DRL when the low-beams are on... sorta ruins the all-white look i'm after when you're cruising. I want to replace it as soon as something decent becomes available to do a complete white-out (other than amber signaling to comply with the law)

I noticed these on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DualColor-Wh...e69012&vxp=mtr

but being a little pricier, i thought i ask to see if anyone has tried them out before i purchase? Or possibly someone has found other similar Switchbacks for PY21W's available?

Last edited by squidlyboy; 04-26-2015 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2

If you really cannot find anything, you can always code the front turn signals to be off when low beams are on but still function as regular turn signal.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

I plan on doing that when i finish my quad xenon retrofit. At that point, there will be so much light from 4 projectors, it won't be needed anymore. Plus it would detract from the angel eyes, which i really want to stick out.

But for now, with just a single halogen low-beam bulb, i want that extra light there.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I plan on doing that when i finish my quad xenon retrofit. At that point, there will be so much light from 4 projectors, it won't be needed anymore. Plus it would detract from the angel eyes, which i really want to stick out.

But for now, with just a single halogen low-beam bulb, i want that extra light there.
Oh I didn't know that was your plan. I think this is a better bulb due to the housing design of where the bulbs are at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-39-SMD-11...1340c5&vxp=mtr

Just not sure if they are going to be bright enough during daytime. Also they are 1156 so you will have to trim one of the tabs to fit. I might actually try this out, just don't know if I have to code the side markers off then tap the red wire to a parking light.

Last edited by oln08; 04-26-2015 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks - just ordered them

I've seen these all over, but didn't realize that 1156 is that close to our PY21W's. I actually really like their compact streamlined design. The other ones looked a little ghetto. In the picture of the Ebay ad you mentioned, it appears that even the angle of the two bayonet pins are about the same angle as the PY21W (~150 degrees). I guess that's an illusion. For $30, that's low enough for an experiment. I've had to grind down pins for the BAX9s vs BA9s parking lights, so no big deal.

I don't think these are supposed to come on during the day, or are you talking about the turn signaling not being bright enough? It says they have 39 LEDs My other DRL bulb is of a similar LED design, but I think its only got like 9 LEDs or around there. And its plenty bright in the day.

Yeah, interesting question about the coding. The fact that they use an additional red wire and ask you to tap into the parking light means that there is some internal switch that uses this line as a signal to deactivate amber and activate white. I wonder what would happen if you didn't code it off, and you have the side marker line going high (+12v) when low beams go on at night, plus you now have the parking light wired to the red wire, which will also high when the low-beams go on.

Which color wins? Would you have amber and white on at the same time? i'm guessing the red wire to activate the white "wins". But if you are out at night and the white color is active, then you use your turn signal, then what? It better go amber

Last edited by squidlyboy; 04-27-2015 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #6
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Glad to help. 1156 is the same as p21w for the rear signals. only difference from the p21w are the tabs 180 degrees instead of py21w's 150 degrees apart. I had to grind down a tab from my 1156 LED to fit the front turn signal housing.
Oh yea I was referring to the amber turn signal during daytime since they are smds and not cree.
I think that there is a switch in the bulb that when the amber is on the white lights will be off. So I was thinking that anytime the amber has current flowing, the white lights will be off due to internal switch in the bulb. Not sure how its gonna work but might try it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

A supplier just notified me of this new product. Instead of the switchback LED being in the turn signal LED bulb, its in the angel eye itself. So this would get rid of the turn-signal bulb/LED altogether. That simplifies things.

Its intriguing, but a little ricer-ish. I've never been a fan of the fancy RGB color changing effects in angel eyes. I like simple. I like white. Still, everyone in my state is required by law to have amber turn signaling, so i would only consider doing it to comply. Otherwise, it stays white with the running of the angel eye DRLs
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 02:56 AM   #8
martsro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 EBII F31 M-Sport

Quote:
A supplier just notified me of this new product. Instead of the switchback LED being in the turn signal LED bulb, its in the angel eye itself. So this would get rid of the turn-signal bulb/LED altogether. That simplifies things.

Its intriguing, but a little ricer-ish. I've never been a fan of the fancy RGB color changing effects in angel eyes. I like simple. I like white. Still, everyone in my state is required by law to have amber turn signaling, so i would only consider doing it to comply. Otherwise, it stays white with the running of the angel eye DRLs
This is exactly how the new Audi lights work. I don't think it's too ricer at all. Would be a pretty cool set-up.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
brh189
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I currently have these installed and they flicker big time while the halos are white. I even coded all my light to accept leds
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:56 AM   #10
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brh189 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I currently have these installed and they flicker big time while the halos are white. I even coded all my light to accept leds
Did you code for LED AND the light tests? There are two main sections you have to code.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
brh189
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Did you code for LED AND the light tests? There are two main sections you have to code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

yes I did. I have sent them back and they were determined to be faulty.
Appreciate 0