E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A good car wash

10-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #1
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010bmwe90

A good car wash

I take my car to this place on melrose called melrose strip auto detailing. They clean the car great 100% hand wash no machines at all. I haven't asked about there clay work or polish but wanted to do a good clean to the paint . Does anyone have a good place to recommend. I'm in Hollywood ca .
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
flux45
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrye90 View Post
I take my car to this place on melrose called melrose strip auto detailing. They clean the car great 100% hand wash no machines at all. I haven't asked about there clay work or polish but wanted to do a good clean to the paint . Does anyone have a good place to recommend. I'm in Hollywood ca .
Here is my personal approach to car care (I own a black car):

First and foremost, the less you touch your car the better. You can have the best microfiber in the world and still get micro swirls. With that in mind, I never let any person or machine touch my car, PERIOD. Especially car wash places because, guess what, they dont give two shits about your paint.
What I did was the day I got my car, I drove it straight to a low volume, high end, community approved detailer. One where my 335i was the shittiest car in the garage. I drove 150 miles and took off days from work to get it done right. They fully detailed, buffed, and polished my car's already immaculate paint. Most important, they applied a coat of CQUARTZ to the paint. If you don't know what it is, google it. It essentially lets the water roll right off your car and lasts a year or two.
That was done almost a year ago, and I have only done a "proper" wash on my car ONE TIME. The rest of the time I can literally knock all the dirt and water spots off with high pressure water spray and drive-dry or leaf-blower-dry. It is the best investment I have made for my car to date. You can also take it a step further and get a clear layer (XPEL) put on along with the CQUARTZ which i plan on doing with my next car but honestly, the CQUARTZ has been enough.

But in summary, if you really car about your paint invest in some sort of protection and do the washes yourself. The less elbow-grease you can apply the better. If you dont care as much or you have paint that doesn't show swirls, then run it through a touchless wash every now and again and have the car wash place down the street wax it (or do it yourself).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 12:37 AM   #3
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010bmwe90

Bump
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux45 View Post
Here is my personal approach to car care (I own a black car):

First and foremost, the less you touch your car the better. You can have the best microfiber in the world and still get micro swirls. With that in mind, I never let any person or machine touch my car, PERIOD. Especially car wash places because, guess what, they dont give two shits about your paint.
What I did was the day I got my car, I drove it straight to a low volume, high end, community approved detailer. One where my 335i was the shittiest car in the garage. I drove 150 miles and took off days from work to get it done right. They fully detailed, buffed, and polished my car's already immaculate paint. Most important, they applied a coat of CQUARTZ to the paint. If you don't know what it is, google it. It essentially lets the water roll right off your car and lasts a year or two.
That was done almost a year ago, and I have only done a "proper" wash on my car ONE TIME. The rest of the time I can literally knock all the dirt and water spots off with high pressure water spray and drive-dry or leaf-blower-dry. It is the best investment I have made for my car to date. You can also take it a step further and get a clear layer (XPEL) put on along with the CQUARTZ which i plan on doing with my next car but honestly, the CQUARTZ has been enough.

But in summary, if you really car about your paint invest in some sort of protection and do the washes yourself. The less elbow-grease you can apply the better. If you dont care as much or you have paint that doesn't show swirls, then run it through a touchless wash every now and again and have the car wash place down the street wax it (or do it yourself).
Just did XPEL and Opt Coat on my black car. First time trying this and I hope it proves worth the investment.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

You may get better responses in the California Regional section

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

How much are they charging for the hand wash?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I find washing and waxing my car to be therapeutic. I turn on the music, and take my time. Nobody is going to detail your car, better than you. Once your done, the self gratification is well worth it. The best part OP, is you live in California. So your able to enjoy, and drive clean car for a much longer period of time. Unlike here in the Northeast. Good luck OP.
Appreciate 0