E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Police officers can be human too

10-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #1
wwc310
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335i

Police officers can be human too

I was just pulled over by an unmarked vehicle. In all honesty, i accelerated way too quickly from a stop light. I was pulled over almost immediately. The two officers approached my car and asked for my ID. One officer checked my info and came back to the car. He goes "so is this an M?" I started to laugh and told him, "no it's not but I wish it was." He laughed as well. He easily could have written me a ticket but instead sent me on my way. He asked me to slow down and shook my hand when I told him thank you for the warning.

Yes i screwed up. But it was refreshing to have an officer show his human side. We hear so often on the forums about officers writing ticket after ticket.

Anyways here's my late night rant. Hope you all enjoy

JB4 Stage 2, VRSF chargepipe, VRSF downpipe, Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwc310 View Post
I was just pulled over by an unmarked vehicle. In all honesty, i accelerated way too quickly from a stop light. I was pulled over almost immediately. The two officers approached my car and asked for my ID. One officer checked my info and came back to the car. He goes "so is this an M?" I started to laugh and told him, "no it's not but I wish it was." He laughed as well. He easily could have written me a ticket but instead sent me on my way. He asked me to slow down and shook my hand when I told him thank you for the warning.

Yes i screwed up. But it was refreshing to have an officer show his human side. We hear so often on the forums about officers writing ticket after ticket.

So if your not burning rubber is there a law how fast you can accelerate if your within the speed limit?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:32 AM   #3
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens
Quote:

So if your not burning rubber is there a law how fast you can accelerate if your within the speed limit?
+1 always wonder that
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:48 AM   #4
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

From my understanding is that they can give a ticket when you break traction/tires are screeching. But they could have the catch-all of reckless or careless driving if they feel like you are endangering someone, and usually they will use the reasons I listed above
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Lucky you! Although I do that and feel that if I'm still under the speed limit, it should be ok.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Depending on where you are, an officer cannot give you a traffic ticket while in an unmarked car or without uniform.
Funny Source

I received a "reckless driving" ticket for going 0-30 from a stop light quickly in a 60mph zone & I brought up this law he did in the video & the judge threw the ticket out.

But cops do have a human side, not all of them are out to give fines for trivial things.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
NoSlow5oh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

I had a "racing on the highway" ticket thrown out, but only because my lawyer knew the judge didn't know the law. I was accelerating by myself, which is considered a contest of speed and doesn't have to be with another vehicle. I got lucky that time, but a simple screeching of my tires netted a reckless driving ticket a year later.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
turo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.40]
2024 BMW M2  [9.00]
2018 BMW 340i XDrive  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I know in FL there is. I lived there for many years, and had several friends receive what they called "public display of power" (or something to that effect).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turo View Post
I know in FL there is. I lived there for many years, and had several friends receive what they called "public display of power" (or something to that effect).
Public display of excessive horsepower or acceleration, its a BS ticket which seems to be at the interpretation of the officer.

Going sideways or burning out/ screeching tire during acceleration would be reason for the ticket but controlled acceleration would be up for interpretation.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Prem

Undercover cop car, he was hoping for the car chase of the day!!!
2014 X5 50i M-Pkg
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Not really that "cool" of a cop. Very difficult to prove "excessive acceleration" when you're not burning rubber and are under the speed limit. I would have contested it if I did get a ticket for that.

A cool officer is one that will do this.

2 Stories:

1) An officer and his partner catch me "spirited driving." Instead of pulling me over, he pulls up to the next light and rolls the window down (mine was down too). He says, "wanna race?" He's in a Tahoe and floors if off the line. I play along (slightly) because I don't want to get a ticket. Next light, he says, "Nice car, drive carefully" and they peeled out.

2) 58 mph in a 35 zone at night after a workout. He pulls me over, asks where I've been. I told him, totally calm. He asks for license and registration...I don't have it because I went to the gym. He asked if I knew my drivers license number, I actually didn't at the time. He then goes to his laptop and I guess somehow looked me up. He told me to slow down and I should really carry my license, but no big deal. He said nice car and cool you still drive a manual, let me go without even a warning ticket.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:

Yea, cops can pull you over but what was his probable cause "Car was fast from a light to the speed limit"? So does that mean on a p90d in LUDA mode I can't go 100% WOT until i reach the speed limit? There is NO law against that.

Maybe if you were drunk or on drugs... i get it... but don't tell me that pigs are cutting you a break when you didn't do anything wrong. You also have to realize that when the pigs are having a "friendly" chat with you, they are not doing it because they like you or your car... they are fishing for anything to "catch" you on. You should really look over your Miranda rights
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #13
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

He didn't give you a ticket because he didn't have a legitimate reason to stop you. I'm with fazman. A "cool" cop wouldn't have bothered with you, since you didn't do anything illegal. This guy was fishing for something to hang you with.
      10-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
monstratonis
Rep
Drives: e92

hey all!
witnessed an accident just before xmas couple of years ago, a car going down hill on icy road, driver tried to take a turn (too rapidly I guess) and slide into a road sign.
Here I was walking 100m away saw police driving towards this car.
First though: "oh man, prepare for alcohol testing and troubles", but no.
What police did , they helped the guy take the car out of the road sign and wished him happy xmas.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #15
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

In my area a situation like this can ticketed as an "Exhibition of Speed", if one is so inclined.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #16
damonp335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I had a few cool cop experiences recently. Got pulled over for 52 in a 35.. speed limit was 45 and dropped to 35 and I really wasn't aware of the switch.. He ran my license and I was gone with no ticket in less than 5 mins.

Probably because I had 13 points on my license 2 years ago and now its 7.. no moving violations in the past 2 years. If your honest with them about your driving record sometimes it works.. and usually admitting fault is what they like - when you act like you have no clue why your being pulled over they find that disrespectful and slam you (just my experiences, though)
2008 335i Coupe / Alpine White / 6MT / Fully Built Motiv Closed-Deck Motor / Motiv ST Kit / XR 105/69S / Motiv Twin Disc / VRSF 7.5 FMIC / ActiveAutowerke Exhaust / EOS Intake Manifold w/ 1050cc injectors / TiaL BOV / External VTA PCV / Quaife LSD / DSS Axles / KW V3Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #17
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman
Quote:

Yea, cops can pull you over but what was his probable cause "Car was fast from a light to the speed limit"? So does that mean on a p90d in LUDA mode I can't go 100% WOT until i reach the speed limit? There is NO law against that.

Maybe if you were drunk or on drugs... i get it... but don't tell me that pigs are cutting you a break when you didn't do anything wrong. You also have to realize that when the pigs are having a "friendly" chat with you, they are not doing it because they like you or your car... they are fishing for anything to "catch" you on. You should really look over your Miranda rights
So much his. OP's naivety is adorable.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #18
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

The real reason he stopped you was to find out if your 335i was an "M" model.

Last edited by kolhozbrothers; 10-27-2015 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:34 AM   #19
Narvin
@narvinbeans
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black E92 M3

You want to know a real story about being let go...

I raced a mustang in front of an officer in a charger (couldn't tell.. so used to the old cop cars) and I spun through 1st and 2nd and even went a little sideways and hit 90mph(in a 40 zone) and the cop didn't even pull me over... he was in the far right lane and came up behind me after we took off. I saw my brake lights reflect on his siren lights and he thankfully did not turn them on... I slowed down and he just drove right past me . Probably enjoyed watching me kill that stang
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2015, 02:02 AM   #20
snappymilli
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

they can give a ticket when you break traction/tires are screeching.
      10-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #21
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I had a cop pull me over once for speeding on a rural highway doing about 80 in a 55. Actually, I crested a hill and saw him coming the other way but was too late to slow down. As soon as I saw him hit his brake lights in my rearview mirror I just pulled over to the side of the road and waited for him. When he finally got turned around and pulled up behind me he walked up and first thing I did was ask if he had enough room or was he too close to the road, I told him I didn't want him to get hit. He just stared at me blankly for a few seconds then regained his composure and started the usual license and registration and do you know why I pulled you over routine. I told him I was driving to another office for work and covering somebody that was out sick... pointed to my work clothes hanging in back. Then he got funny, thought he was trying to trick me or something. Started asking me about my car, how fast it was, fastest I'd had it up to, if I knew the 0-60... etc etc. I kept telling him that on the track it would do whatever and he kept saying "no, on the road. seriously, I'm not trying to trick you." He then proceeded to tell me that most of the law enforcement in the area knew my car (this is back around 2000 before Fast and Furios and i was driving a fairly heavily modified DSM in Southern Oregon that stood out like a sore thumb having moved up from California) and had been curious about it and he was glad I cooperated and didn't run because he wouldn't have been able to catch me. Then he told me to have a nice day... no slow down... no warning... didn't run my info... nothing. Just two guys talking about cars.
      10-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
E91 M Sport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 M Sport

Quote:
Yea it's called exhibition of speed, or driving in an unsafe manor, or reckless driving. Just depends on the officer.

Props to the OP for owning what he did and to the officers. They've been getting butchered by the media WAAYYYY to much as of late. If you break the law, the law will break you.
Appreciate 0