E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > n54 as project car?

10-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

n54 as project car?

I was debating for a long time if I should trade in my 328 and get a M235 , however I really want to get into modifying my car and it would be hard to do with a brand new car ( warranties) and also I want a reliable daily that I can drive in the canadian winter ( my AWD 328 would be perfect)

Also my car only has 30 000 miles so its pretty damn new

I would have a budget of 20 K to buy a project car. By project car I mean something that is already in good condition and track ready. I would like to run somewhere in the 400-500 WHP so it would have to be something that its not hard to modify

I was thinking of the N54 335 coupe as I really like the body style , twin turbo would be easy to increase power and there is a lot of aftermarket support.

I was also considering an 2010 mustang gt , camaro or dogde challenger since they are around that price and they already come with a lot of power, but the handling is a big concern. Down the list s2000 , miata , a blast to drive according too many but they would be hard to increase power

Anyone here with experience on building a n54 and reliability ? is it a good idea?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
MachWon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6mt. JB4 + CDP's.

If you are looking at mustangs, do not get a 2010. The motor responds terribly to mods. 2011 up GT (5.0 coyote motor) or 03-04 Cobra (supercharged 4.6, basically forged. 500+whp with bolt ons).

Can't speak on anything else as I don't mess with corners, haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
I was debating for a long time if I should trade in my 328 and get a M235 , however I really want to get into modifying my car and it would be hard to do with a brand new car ( warranties) and also I want a reliable daily that I can drive in the canadian winter ( my AWD 328 would be perfect)

Also my car only has 30 000 miles so its pretty damn new

I would have a budget of 20 K to buy a project car. By project car I mean something that is already in good condition and track ready. I would like to run somewhere in the 400-500 WHP so it would have to be something that its not hard to modify

I was thinking of the N54 335 coupe as I really like the body style , twin turbo would be easy to increase power and there is a lot of aftermarket support.

I was also considering an 2010 mustang gt , camaro or dogde challenger since they are around that price and they already come with a lot of power, but the handling is a big concern. Down the list s2000 , miata , a blast to drive according too many but they would be hard to increase power

Anyone here with experience on building a n54 and reliability ? is it a good idea?
Why not buy a pre-lci 2008 MY 335xi and then do the basic power upgrades to get to FBO:
* ditch the RFT's - Must always be done as first mod
** if on stock sport shocks - switch to Koni FSD/Bilstein B6 just anything that don't cause the front end to ride on the bump stops

1) Tune + DCI
2) FMIC + OCC + RB PCV + RB PCV Cap + RB Vent hose
3) CP + BOV + Carbon blasting + new spark plugs
4) DPs + Stand alone DP Fix + with the subframe out you should do the Oil Pan gasket and new oil pan screws + oil change
5) exhaust? (might get annoyingly raspy/drone-y with the DPs, i kept my stock exhaust)
6) Dropping all fluid
a) Flush the diff(s)
b) Flush the transfer case
c) Flush the transmission with Redline fluids + mechatronic sleeve + transmission pan and filter.
d) Flush the power steering fluid + clean or replace the PS reservoir filter
8) Save up for when your random expense happens:
a) Waterpump+Tstat+coolant+new screws+expansion tank
b) Starter dies
c) Car battery + coding + registration (watch out for that airbag sensor and the IBS cable)
7) turbo upgrade
Appreciate 0