E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help! E90 Water Damage?

11-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Ltlblk3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Help! E90 Water Damage?

My car was recently backed into by someone in an SUV, being that the car that hit me is so high and the E90 is so low, I had some damage done to the quarter panel, as well as the bumper and a busted tail light.

I mentioned to insurance my concern about the busted light because of it being on the passenger side above the battery, but of course they didn't like the idea of taking the car in at the time. So now after we've had all this rain, I go to get in the car and it is practically inoperable. Brake pedal won't depress, the key goes into the slot but only the gauges fade on and go back out. Push button won't allow the car to start or even turn over into auxillary power mode.
I pop open the trunk using the emergency key as the trunk button won't function and find my battery soaked in water.

Insurance has since given me a rental and towed the car to the dealer.

My question now is what should I have the dealership look at? As I obviously want the car back to its former glory.
I know electrical problems can be quite the headache and I don't want any recurring problems of course.
Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Ltlblk3; 11-03-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

They're idiots. I see a lot of cars are left with open windows, trunks etc and when it rains, water gets all over and insurance makes the body shop pay for the repair.
But in your case, it is not your fault...Insurance will probably total your car depending on the extent of water damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
grussauto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

If you read your policy you will find you have a duty to protect your vehicle from further damage. If you suspected water could get into the battery area then the insurance company could expect you to protect against this parking in a garage, covered area or by covering your car with a tarp. Be aware of this duty if they try to blame you for the water damage. Were the battery post submerged in water? It is possible that just the batter was damaged due to short circuit between the post, especially if it was an older battery.