E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Keith's Space Grey E91 LCI 335i Journal - FOR SALE

12-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Arrow Keith's Space Grey E91 LCI 335i Journal - FOR SALE

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself and my past BMWs as they are our common interest!

I'm an engineer from Berkshire (UK) and have always driven BMWs. My first car was an E36 328i, and I've been driving them ever since. I have a slight OCD about the nice possessions I own (especially cars), and have always maintained them to a very high standard, be it mechanically, paint/cosmetics, leather retrims and trim replacement to make it all A1! In addition any modifications are always with the best/genuine parts (replica bits make me come out in a rash).

Here are a few of the my most recent cars:

330ci Clubsport. Estoril/Black. Genuine ACS mirrors and Type III wheels.

Z3 M Coupe. Dakar Yellow and mad as bunch of frogs.

E36 M3 Evolution. Cosmos Black with Champagne leather, which I had re-trimmed to freshen up.

E46 M3. Fully-loaded. Silver Grey / Black. Genuine CSL wheels, Bilstein PSS10 coils, BMW Performance (Brembo) BBK with custom brackets.

And with my Wife's Audi 8P S3

On OEM 18's

E90 M3. Silverstone / Black. Fully loaded. 6MT.

So, why the Touring?

The last few cars above were weekend/fun cars, as I also run a daily driver (VW Golf) primarily to ferry the dogs we have to the park and bag, in all weather. But I was sick of running 2 cars, and finally wanted to streamline to a single car. I needed a car that would do all the practical stuff, and wanted a car that is still has guts as well as being modern and high-spec. Hard to find the balance with no M3 touring!

I came so close to pulling the trigger on an M135i (hatch means a dog can go in the boot right?), although after trying one on for size I had to admit to myself as nice as it was, it just came nowhere close to fulfilling my specific brief. The boot was a bit of a pisstake for a dog, plus a set of golf clubs would never fit.

I then started looking at F30 Tourings, but the kind of spec I wanted were still ~£22-24k, and soon decided they still have a long way to depreciate. I'm reluctant to lose that kind of money on a plain old 3-series.

A few months back I decided to look for a 6-pot E91 Touring. I have always loved the shape and lines, as I did my E90 M3 saloon. Had to be LCI (59+), had to be loaded, had to have under 60k miles. I set up an Autotrader search to notify me of any 2009+ estates with engine size parameters set to 3l-3.9l. Bare in mind this will include 6 models: 325i, 330i, 335i, 325d, 330d, 335d.

Not sure why, but nothing was coming up. A few did, in silver or black (not for me), and the few suitable ones that did sold same-day. During that time however I did manage to view two possible candidates, both up north. Both were a bit scruffy, and one had a huge gap in its history which was never mentioned. Wasted time.

Well Friday night just gone, I checked AT after a few beers. I spotted 'the one'. Best spec yet, best colours yet, right mileage. Even though I knew it had come on within hours of last checking, I was trying not get too excited after the disappointment felt before. I called straight away, no answer, but left a voicemail and waited. As luck would have it, next day I was called back from a very genuine guy, placed a blind deposit and went to collect.

And this is it:

- 2009 '59 335i LCI Touring Auto
- 57k miles
- 3.0 TT N54 (306 bhp)
- Space Grey (A45) with Auburn (LCCZ) leather and Burr Walnut Trim

Spec of note:
- Pro CIC Navigation with HDD
- Upgraded Hifi Loudspeaker System
- Adaptive Xenons
- Heated Electric Seats
- Sun Protection / Factory Tints
- Electric Folding Mirrors
- Sliding Armrest
- PDC
- USB
- Bluetooth

I'm over the moon: not only on paper was it the best to come up yet, but for once the seller was generous with his description. A few light marks on a couple wheels, next to no stonechips, a mark on one of the handles, small scuff on the bumper and that's about it. All easily sorted. The interior is genuinely 'mint' as you can see, with no bolster wear at all. Although piano black trim would have been the icing on the cake, I even quite like the wood. The cabin is properly screwed together with not a single untoward noise, speak or rattle.

As for the 'feel' of the car itself, I'm impressed. It goes very well indeed and is smooth and comfy. The N54 behaves much like a NA (which is BMWs attitude toward turbo power) but with buckets of torque. As for the looks, I love it - quite the Q car in Touring guise. The auto-box was a compromise I had accepted a long while back (I'm a manual man) as 95% of the big engine tourings are auto, let alone when you're as fussy as I am about other colours/miles/spec/age etc. It works well, changes are fast and intuitive in sport mode and overall it suits the fast-tourer attitude. I do miss the third pedal, but this car is not driven like an M3 is, so I don't mind.

So thanks for looking! I will update this thread with any work I do on the car. Always nice to keep a record, and I have a few plans.

I look forward to spending a bit of time around here, contributing what I can and learning some new stuff.

Last edited by -Keith-; 09-27-2016 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13379.00
      12-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Ruddigger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

Beautiful, I wish we had 335 wagons here love that interior color as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks mate. So you didn't get 335i Tourings in the US? I would have imagined that engine and bodyshape would have been a great seller for you guys, strange!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

You had some great cars in the past, and this Touring is no exception. Wish mine was a 335i, too. Had it since 09 and still loving it.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

P.S.: Aren't you a DW member? I feel like I have seen your cars there...
      12-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
harendre7201
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
You my man are a very lucky. All those cars are beautiful hope you have fun with the E91
2015 AW F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
You had some great cars in the past, and this Touring is no exception. Wish mine was a 335i, too. Had it since 09 and still loving it.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

P.S.: Aren't you a DW member? I feel like I have seen your cars there...
BMWs are such great cars I can't seem to see past the marque, rightly or wrongly. They are in my blood!

I am loving the Touring. In LCI shape I think they are the most attractive Estate car in the class by far

I'm not on DW no. M3cutters and BMWowner are my 'home' forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harendre7201 View Post
You my man are a very lucky. All those cars are beautiful hope you have fun with the E91
Grateful my friend, and I intend too.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Your new Touring looks very sharp, congrats. Love some of your previous BMWs as well, especially the Z3 M Coupe in Dakar. Gorgeous. I, like you, seem to keep coming back to BMW, I am on #18, my E91 328 xDrive, which in Canada, means the N52 6 cyl and auto. Not overpowered, but still feels good to drive.

Enjoy that E91...
      12-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Your new Touring looks very sharp, congrats. Love some of your previous BMWs as well, especially the Z3 M Coupe in Dakar. Gorgeous. I, like you, seem to keep coming back to BMW, I am on #18, my E91 328 xDrive, which in Canada, means the N52 6 cyl and auto. Not overpowered, but still feels good to drive.

Enjoy that E91...
Thank you, I'm chuffed with the E91, took a long time of waiting for the right one to turn up.

You're N52 is a great engine. My brother had it in his 130i and my wife her old 125i also. It really is a peach. Lovely exhaust note too!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Love the colour of that interior. Goes well with the Space Gray.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #10
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Cheers Rich, the pairing is a nice one. Original owner had taste!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Keith-
Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Cheers Rich, the pairing is a nice one. Original owner had taste!
I'm guessing that is an individual colour? Like you said Piano black or even the maple anthracite would have been the finishing touch!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

No the interior is standard from the brochure, code LCCZ, and called 'Auburn' in the UK:

Although though when I Google the code I find lots of reference to it being called 'Chestnut', so perhaps this is what it's called in the US market. Either name suits it well!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
JM85
Captain
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 + AW E90

Hi Keith, surprised to see you on here

The UK section is decent on here also although not as eventful as cutters
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 01:58 AM   #14
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM85 View Post
Hi Keith, surprised to see you on here

The UK section is decent on here also although not as eventful as cutters
Hello mate! Haven't seen you anywhere for a long time either, you should drop into e36coupe sometime

Been spending some time looking around here and there is a wealth of resource here, good forum.

Nothing will be as eventful as cutters!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #15
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Awesome previous cars! Especially the Z3M and Evo! E91 looks great, wish I had a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
Busta Rib
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Great stable and nice pick up with the E91. The color combination is stunning. Too bad it didn't come with three pedals, but those are really rare. In the US we didn't get the 335i in touring form, unfortunately. Beautiful touring and congrats.
      12-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #17
Ruddigger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

I saw a new model 335d wagon, recently. But the E91 is such a better platform, it's a shame we didnt get the 335's here.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #18
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
      12-18-2015, 01:37 AM   #19
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

First of all congrats on the E91 and second of all, your previous rides were sickkk

Thanks for sharing!

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 04:26 AM   #20
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Awesome previous cars! Especially the Z3M and Evo! E91 looks great, wish I had a 335i.
Thank you. The Z3MC was a special car, have very find memories.

Although I must admit the E46 M3 was leaps ahead in terms of drivability and progress, and going for about the same money at the time. Now my Z3MC would be worth £25k+ (it was very very low miles) but no point dwelling on the past. I had a great time and enjoyed the cars that followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta Rib View Post
Great stable and nice pick up with the E91. The color combination is stunning. Too bad it didn't come with three pedals, but those are really rare. In the US we didn't get the 335i in touring form, unfortunately. Beautiful touring and congrats.
Thank you. And I agree about the 3rd pedal. I had already resigned myself to an auto, as after months of watching the classifieds I realised the car I wanted was already rare, and 90% of the 6-pot touring that come up are Auto.

I'd still be waiting now, as my classified search is still running and emailing me with new cars, and no other 335i LCI Tourings have come up let alone with the high-spec, low miles and colours. Had to jump on regardless of the gearbox!

I quite enjoy it actually. Suits the torquey engine and car type somewhat. I'm driving this one in a more refined manner (being a sensible tourer and all haha)... Not hammering this one approaching corners one the brakes with a blip and downshift like I would the M3s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
I saw a new model 335d wagon, recently. But the E91 is such a better platform, it's a shame we didnt get the 335's here.
E91 is a lovely platform. I do like F3X cars though I must admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
First of all congrats on the E91 and second of all, your previous rides were sickkk

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks my man. I could get all misty eyed about my current lack of ///M car, but truth is, the current car ticks all my growing list of criteria, and is a thoroughly great all-rounder.

E92 M3 DCT 1 of 25 Santorini Blue Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 04:36 AM   #21
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

OK so I might be going down a short road of subtle modification...

Weather has been non-stop rain and general grimness of late, so nothing has actually been fitted, but a few bits have been purchased ready for fitting at some point soon.

Set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs, BMW Performance black kidneys and some velour mats:

The black grills were bought prior to buying the car, and to be honest, I'm not sure black on Space Grey will work. I was never a fan of black bits on Silver Grey M3s hence why I never went down that road with that car. I guess I'll have to fit and see how they sit with me and then decide.

The Pro-Kit gives a very subtle drop which is what I'm after: with M-Sport suspension I will see -20mm at the front and nada on the rear. This should be just right to level the arch gaps - this is how it sits currently:

To compliment the above I have also bought some H&R 'black edition' spacers. These are 10mm and 12mm pairs, and the black bolts will match the OEM look which is nice.

The LCI model has a wider track on both axles than the pre-LCI: +22mm rear (11mm each side) and +6mm front (3mm each side), which means I don't have to go silly to get a nice wide look. With the 10mm fitted to the rear and the 12mm on the front I should see this:

Complimented with the springs it should sit well :thumb:.

I am also thinking about fitting some mud flaps... Controversial I know . But it'll stop shite getting flung up the sides (especially with the wider track post-spacers) and I think they work on a functional tourer...

Opinions?

In more boring news I had to get under the bonnet with my toothbrushes and APC. It had obviously never even had a cursory wipe, and was fucking rotten under there. Took a good bit of time to do it all by hand (never fancied under-bonnet jet washes) but I can relax now it's not pure filth under there.

Before:

After, plastics dressed with Aerospace 303.

Added a couple personal touches:

My old plate fitted (yeah it's no M3 - meh - the KXV is what's personal), and went for a shorter width on the rear which I think looks great in the recess:

Also a VR|46 sticker to inside of rear glass (die-hard Vale fan) as I have done on previous cars. Made from reverse cut frosted vinyl so it can be applied inside the glass.

With the sun-protection package being so dark, it's really subtle from outside (nearly impossible to photograph in this light actually), which I like. In the rear view mirror it appears the right way too which is satisfying

Finally, something of note worth mentioning (although performed by the previous owner) is he changed the halo lamps for 'whiter' versions, so the car looks like the final E9X models that had these from factory, and gives a satisfyingly clean and more modern look:

The next tasks are to clean up and paint the rusting hubs and tart up the callipers whilst at it, get the springs fitted + full geo, wheel refurb and finally get the rear diffuser fitted and painted.

E92 M3 DCT 1 of 25 Santorini Blue Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #22
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

All of the mods should give it a nice more aggressive look whilst still looking fairly factory.

I'd personally look at changing the bulbs for ones that more evenly like the rings though.
Appreciate 0