E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What would you do?

View Poll Results: Would you do the trade if the numbers work
Yes 4 57.14%
No 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

01-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Dlasko71
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AA tuned '11 E90 328i x-drive

What would you do?

Little background: I own a black 2011 BMW E90 N51 X drive, non sport model, no IDrive and halogen headlights with an auto transmission. I really love the car and I planned on keeping this car until the wheels fall off. I only have one performance mod (AA Tune) and now have 44k miles on the clock. The two things that I dislike about the car is the auto transmission and the halogen headlights. I told myself that if I found another black e90 N51 X drive with sport seats, manual transmission, and xenons, with similar miles, I would trade mine in.

I've been checking auto trader in my area for some time now and today I find a 2011 black E90 N51 X drive, sport seats, manual tranny, no IDrive, 50k on the clock but with halogens at a dealership near me. . I think I can come out of this deal without losing too much money since it's virtually the same car, but with a manual transmission. (Believe I can make a case for the dying breed of the manual transmission around these parts and an auto would sell much faster.

Side note: I plan on doing the whole slew of performance mods.(headers, differential upgrade etc.) and suspension.

So i want some feedback here as to what would YOU do in my shoes? Also, besides possibly losing a bit of money in the trade, I also don't know how the prior owner treated the car. On the other hand, I know the full history of my car and it runs really well, no issues so far. This is TOUGH guys!

Sorry for posting this here, but I frequent this thread the most and don't feel comfortable posting it in the general questions.

Last edited by Dlasko71; 01-05-2016 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #2
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

I'd first seek out the service history of the car in question, then if I was comfortable with what I found out, I would start the negotiations process to see how far apart the deal is. I am also assuming, because you did not say specifically, that the car in question is also an x drive? Also, how important are the headlights to you? I have to believe you should be able to negotiate a straight-across trade.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #3
Dlasko71
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Edited post, Both are X drive. The better Headlights would be nice, but If it's a straight-across trade, I'll overlook the lights and worry about them later. I'll have them pull carfax tomorrow and edit accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlasko71 View Post
Edited post, Both are X drive. The better Headlights would be nice, but If it's a straight-across trade, I'll overlook the lights and worry about them later. I'll have them pull carfax tomorrow and edit accordingly.
You need to go beyond the Carfax and have a BMW dealer pull the service history.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #5
Dlasko71
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
You need to go beyond the Carfax and have a BMW dealer pull the service history.

Can I just call the dealership with a VIN and they'll provide me with the service info? Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

I ll say not just on the fact that the dealer will try to make a lot of money of your car. You are better off doing a private sale and buying that one . If that is the case I would upgrade to a newer 328 or get a 335.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

If your trading in might aswell get a msport 335
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90joee View Post
If your trading in might aswell get a msport 335
Exactly. You're pretty much trading in for the same thing, difference being the tranny but with an extra 6k miles on the clock. And you cannot transfer your tune from your old car onto the new car. You will need to go through the whole process with AA again and shell out cash.

If anything get a loaded E92 328, loaded, with less miles and call it a day.

OP this is a giant waste of money IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I say do it. The dealer might actually be happy to have an automatic to sell rather than a manual - we like them better, but they have a harder time selling them because most people can't drive a manual car.

in the grand scheme of things 6k miles is nothing and the AA tune isn't that expensive, if you can get out of the slushbox. Especially if you plan on doing a bunch of mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
Dlasko71
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm pretty content with the 328 and i've seen the possibilities you can get when adding all the performance upgrades. I plan on keeping this car until it's dead and from what i've seen and heard, the 335 is not a long term reliable car especially with mods.

Also, I drove a new 328i as a loaner and could not get pass the handling. It's just not the same.

UPDATE: I was able to acquire the car history and it turns out the car was involved in a rear end collision with minor damage reported in 2011. Report however does not say the extent of the damage. . Also, Oil changes were done in 15k intervals Thinking this may not be the right one for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #11
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty content with the 328 and i've seen the possibilities you can get when adding all the performance upgrades. I plan on keeping this car until it's dead and from what i've seen and heard, the 335 is not a long term reliable car especially with mods.

Also, I drove a new 328i as a loaner and could not get pass the handling. It's just not the same.

UPDATE: I was able to acquire the car history and it turns out the car was involved in a rear end collision with minor damage reported in 2011. Report however does not say the extent of the damage. . Also, Oil changes were done in 15k intervals Thinking this may not be the right one for me.
N55 based 335s are not that problematic. I had a E90 328 with an AA tune, 3 stage intake manifold, moded suspension, OEM xenon headlights (did a conversion), pref exhaust, euro intake.... Car was great but I'm glad I eventually went with the E92 335. Even with all my mods the 335 is way better performance wise, plus it's fully loaded. Don't really need to mod it because I don't race and car is very quick stock. Only mods I got are two sets of wheels.

Your best option is to stick with what you have but if you do want to trade in then trade UP. If you're put off by the 335 then get a LCI E92 328 that's loaded up.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #12
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
N55 based 335s are not that problematic. I had a E90 328 with an AA tune, 3 stage intake manifold, moded suspension, OEM xenon headlights (did a conversion), pref exhaust, euro intake.... Car was great but I'm glad I eventually went with the E92 335. Even with all my mods the 335 is way better performance wise, plus it's fully loaded. Don't really need to mod it because I don't race and car is very quick stock. Only mods I got are two sets of wheels.

Your best option is to stick with what you have but if you do want to trade in then trade UP. If you're put off by the 335 then get a LCI E92 328 that's loaded up.
I bet headers would ve make a big difference if u had then on the 328.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #13
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
I bet headers would ve make a big difference if u had then on the 328.
Probably but just didn't see any point in doing it.. Had it brand new and car was about to hit 94k miles; figured it was time to get something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #14
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlasko71
Little background: I own a black 2011 BMW E90 N51 X drive, non sport model, no IDrive and halogen headlights with an auto transmission. I really love the car and I planned on keeping this car until the wheels fall off. I only have one performance mod (AA Tune) and now have 44k miles on the clock. The two things that I dislike about the car is the auto transmission and the halogen headlights. I told myself that if I found another black e90 N51 X drive with sport seats, manual transmission, and xenons, with similar miles, I would trade mine in.

I've been checking auto trader in my area for some time now and today I find a 2011 black E90 N51 X drive, sport seats, manual tranny, no IDrive, 50k on the clock but with halogens at a dealership near me. . I think I can come out of this deal without losing too much money since it's virtually the same car, but with a manual transmission. (Believe I can make a case for the dying breed of the manual transmission around these parts and an auto would sell much faster.

Side note: I plan on doing the whole slew of performance mods.(headers, differential upgrade etc.) and suspension.

So i want some feedback here as to what would YOU do in my shoes? Also, besides possibly losing a bit of money in the trade, I also don't know how the prior owner treated the car. On the other hand, I know the full history of my car and it runs really well, no issues so far. This is TOUGH guys!

Sorry for posting this here, but I frequent this thread the most and don't feel comfortable posting it in the general questions.
If you are planning perf upgrades you need rwd but of course just my .02c
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
The benefit of keeping your car is you know the maintenance done on it, and how it was driven
      01-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #16
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

I say it depends.

How long did you have your current car? With your car, at least you know what you have.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #17
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just something to consider as you evaluate cars; you do not know for fact certain the oil was changed only at the 15,000 mile interval. I say this because if someone where to pull my BMW service history they would see the same thing, what doesn't show is that I did DIY oil changes at the halfway point of the oil change service intervals. This is a dilemma you will face with almost any dealer based pre-owned car. You might be better served to seek a private party sale with an owner who is as meticulous as you appear to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #18
Dlasko71
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I say it depends.

How long did you have your current car? With your car, at least you know what you have.
I've had it for 2 years now. Bought it with 24k coming off a lease. Knowing the history is huge because problems can show their ugly sides down the road without the proper care in the beginning stages.

I too change my oil in between the 15k intervals so it would be the same with my car. But lets be honest, a large portion of BMW owners are not obsessed like we all are. They go "Oh WOW!!" when they hear the sales guy say "you can go 15k miles till you have to bring you car back in for an oil change." Instead of, hmm, I should prob change it before that.

It appears that this deal will probably haunt me for the rest of my days and I have a bad feeling about it. But I'm still considering all options and don't believe the car will be going off the lot anytime soon. I'm scheduling a test drive first and will be driving it "enthusiastically" to see if that sway's my decision anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #19
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've had it for 2 years now. Bought it with 24k coming off a lease. Knowing the history is huge because problems can show their ugly sides down the road without the proper care in the beginning stages.

I too change my oil in between the 15k intervals so it would be the same with my car. But lets be honest, a large portion of BMW owners are not obsessed like we all are. They go "Oh WOW!!" when they hear the sales guy say "you can go 15k miles till you have to bring you car back in for an oil change." Instead of, hmm, I should prob change it before that.

It appears that this deal will probably haunt me for the rest of my days and I have a bad feeling about it. But I'm still considering all options and don't believe the car will be going off the lot anytime soon. I'm scheduling a test drive first and will be driving it "enthusiastically" to see if that sway's my decision anymore.
its the same car so it wont be much different , if anything you car with AA tune would probably drive better.

As per oil changes, I take mine to a private shop every 5 000 km . Only work I get done at the dealer is warranty work
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #20
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Probably but just didn't see any point in doing it.. Had it brand new and car was about to hit 94k miles; figured it was time to get something else.
yea I understand. Getting a 335 is def an upgrade if it is at least the same year or newer than what you have .

But I also think with the new AA headers being so affordable , combine with a used 3 stage intake plus tune is a pretty nice power gain for what it cost

Im still debating on whether I should get a used 335 coupe for the summer and use my 329 for winter
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #21
colin_e90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

If you do not have paddle shifters I would just get some added and get the billet paddles because they are awesome and feel crisp. It's not worth it to trade for another 328 manual or auto. If you're gonna trade just get a 335. Headers and all the things we can do to our cars will never make it come close to feeling real power like a 335. (330i owner here)

When folks with our NA cars aim for mods you gotta think, although w are all concerned about getting any inch of power we can get from mods, it's really about getting our cars to feel as raw as they can. Exhaust Headers and tune and intake upgrades just add to the rawness of our cars.
Sorry for the little rant lol
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #22
Dlasko71
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin_e90 View Post
If you do not have paddle shifters I would just get some added and get the billet paddles because they are awesome and feel crisp. It's not worth it to trade for another 328 manual or auto. If you're gonna trade just get a 335. Headers and all the things we can do to our cars will never make it come close to feeling real power like a 335. (330i owner here)

When folks with our NA cars aim for mods you gotta think, although w are all concerned about getting any inch of power we can get from mods, it's really about getting our cars to feel as raw as they can. Exhaust Headers and tune and intake upgrades just add to the rawness of our cars.
Sorry for the little rant lol

It happens man! I've considered getting the retro fit kit coupled with the M3 DCT paddles. (I'll prob end up doing this if I stick with the auto) Is their a noticeable difference between shifting using the paddles and shifting in Manual mode with the gear selector? My guess is not really, but it may "feel" like it, which is good enough for me!
Appreciate 0