E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Rockville stated I must pay $752 for HPFP replacement

01-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Deep Green 335xi 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
BMW Rockville stated I must pay $752 for HPFP replacement

On January 6th I brought in my 2008 335xi for warranty replacement of the HPFP. I had 105k miles on the dot.

Timeline of events:
Quote:
I drop the car off, ask for a loaner
"This is your first time here, we have to diagnose it first before we give you a loaner"
Meanwhile I took it there a year ago for warranty work on turbos. Which I declined for the same kind of shenanigans. I paid $500 for diagnosis and a software update. Besides the point.
I ask how I'm going to get home if I don't have a loaner. Argue a little bit back and forth, I ask for a manager.
Manager comes and says sure, we can look at your car right now and diagnose it... (I had an appointment for 4:00, you'd think that's the time they diagnose it)
I sit down and wait for the hopefully good news.
"We definitely found the issue. We pulled the codes, but before we can replace HPFP, we need to replace LPF sensor."
I just replaced it not even 2000 miles ago.
I say, "The sensor is good, it reads pressure fine"
"Well according to BMW's procedure, we need to replace it before we can continue"
Argue back and forth for a bit, ask to speak to a manager again. Same guy comes out (service director)
"Whats the issue?"
"Why do I have to pay $752.80 to replace a fully functional part?"
"Well BMW updated the sensor, so the old is no longer valid for warranty replacement"
I want to laugh so hard, but I realize this isn't the time to do so..
Eventually I ask to speak to a mechanic who knows what he's doing.
Mechanic comes out, basically agrees with me (off the record) that replacing the pressure sensor won't do anything and they'll have to replace the HPFP anyway. He recommended I take the car home and replace the sensor then bring it back. Service adviser agrees.
At this point I'm angry, cause I've wasted my entire afternoon and left work early to deal with this technicality.
More arguing back and forth, reiterating my points that it is not correct to replace a fully functional part on a whim.
Service director comes back.
I say, "I'll agree to pay for the pressure sensor replacement if you replace it and it solves the problem. If it doesn't, I'm not paying for it"
He says, "It's too big of a risk for us to get stuck with paying for the HPFP"
I say, "If this is how you do service here, I'm not buying my M3 here"
He says, "Well if that's really how you feel, you can leave. I'll bring your car around."
I leave and drive my half working car an hour home.
My self diagnostic included replacing the LPF sensor 2000 miles ago for 29F3 codes. The sensor was bad. I read the signal off the sensor and it would jump between full open and fully closed. Before I brought the car in, I monitored the HPF and LPF sensor values to make sure it's my issue. On cold starts, HPFP is extremely slow to build pressure and results in long cranks as well as stumbling.

The correct diagnostic here is to test the LPF sensor and replace if it's failed. There should be no reason other than preventing future failures for replacing the sensor to the updated version. As far as I'm concerned, the old LPF is faulty and should be included with the HPFP replacement. When I went to the dealer, I asked to see the technical papers for conducting the warranty replacement. This is what they handed me. (print out from ISTA)

Now I think "A new fuel low pressure sensor will be included" seems to mean the sensor is included with the warranty. Apparently, it is not and we have to pay for the labor to replace it. Which coincidentally covers partial labor to replace the fuel pump

Right now I'm waiting for BMWNA to call me so I can discuss my concerns with them. If nothing comes of it, I'll tear everything down again and replace the line myself then bring it back. Logic.
      01-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Maybe try another dealership? I stayed away from BMW of Rockville service like the plague when they used to be VOB BMW.

Supposedly they went through a whole makeover with a new name and management, but nothing changed in my opionion. Try BMW of Sterling, they've always been straightforward and honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Maybe try another dealership? I stayed away from BMW of Rockville service like the plague when they used to be VOB BMW.

Supposedly they went through a whole makeover with a new name and management, but nothing changed in my opionion. Try BMW of Sterling, they've always been straightforward and honest.
I was planning on going to sterling. I would like confirmation before I go so I don't go through the same situation again. If BMWNA says I need to replace the sensor, I will. If they say I can just take it in, then I'll do that.
      01-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

BMW of Rockville service department sucks. They are the reason why people call dealerships Stealerships.

Few years back, my fiancé took her still under warranty and service plan bmw for oil service. They told her that car needs new brakes. She approved the work thinking it would be covered by service plan. they charged her $600 for them. When she told them that the car has service plan, they told her that breaks are not covered since she didn't buy the car from them.

Bunch of $&@$&&$$
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Back up a second, isn't the HPFP covered under 10 year / 120k mile warranty? So they should be diagnosing the issue based on the HPFP and covering it 100% since BMW AG will pay them back. If they prove that it is *not* HPFP related, then they will replace the other part and charge you for it. At this point, if it is the LPFP sensor, then the sensor itself legally might not have been covered as part of the 10-year/120k warranty extension.

However, the mere fact that the sensor comes as part of the new HPFP doesn't mean that the sensor may be covered under the same program. But if the HPFP is the culprit, then yes, by BMW procedure, both parts need to be replaced and will be paid for by BMW AG.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
Back up a second, isn't the HPFP covered under 10 year / 120k mile warranty? So they should be diagnosing the issue based on the HPFP and covering it 100% since BMW AG will pay them back. If they prove that it is *not* HPFP related, then they will replace the other part and charge you for it. At this point, if it is the LPFP sensor, then the sensor itself legally might not have been covered as part of the 10-year/120k warranty extension.

However, the mere fact that the sensor comes as part of the new HPFP doesn't mean that the sensor may be covered under the same program. But if the HPFP is the culprit, then yes, by BMW procedure, both parts need to be replaced and will be paid for by BMW AG.
This is what I was trying to tell them, but they INSISTED that I pay for the LPF sensor replacement before they authorize HPFP replacement. Scam artists. I really hope BMWNA sets them straight.

As much as I love driving BMW's, if all dealerships are like this, it will make me never buy one because of shitty service.
      01-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg5461 View Post
This is what I was trying to tell them, but they INSISTED that I pay for the LPF sensor replacement before they authorize HPFP replacement. Scam artists. I really hope BMWNA sets them straight.

As much as I love driving BMW's, if all dealerships are like this, it will make me never buy one because of shitty service.
Not all are like that.

If you are in DC area, then I recommend BMW of Fairfax and BMW of Sterling. I had very pleasant experiences with both.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Yeah, that's BS. I noticed that as my car aged, it was more and more difficult to get things covered under warranty, even if they were completely valid. I also continually got the run around, games, etc, like what's happening with you. Towards the end of my warranty I stopped bothering with BMW service departments all together and found honest Indy's. My car hasn't seen a BMW service department in several years. It appears all they want to do is work on newer cars, leaving the rest of us to either trade in for another or find an Indy.

They keep sending me coupons and emails and crap to come back for service but I never will. Even when I buy another BMW all I expect under warranty are 2 oil changes and MAYBE a set of front brakes. What a joke.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Yeah, that's BS. I noticed that as my car aged, it was more and more difficult to get things covered under warranty, even if they were completely valid. I also continually got the run around, games, etc, like what's happening with you. Towards the end of my warranty I stopped bothering with BMW service departments all together and found honest Indy's. My car hasn't seen a BMW service department in several years. It appears all they want to do is work on newer cars, leaving the rest of us to either trade in for another or find an Indy.

They keep sending me coupons and emails and crap to come back for service but I never will. Even when I buy another BMW all I expect under warranty are 2 oil changes and MAYBE a set of front brakes. What a joke.
You know, I couldn't care less if they handed me the HPFP and said have fun. My service adviser didn't even know you could test sensors before replacing them. Really reputable employees right?
      01-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Not all are like that.

If you are in DC area, then I recommend BMW of Fairfax and BMW of Sterling. I had very pleasant experiences with both.
I'm trying sterling next. Rockville was just easy to get to because I could take 70 and 270 straight there from work. Sterling is a bit harder to get to (I work in hagerstown)
      01-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
On January 6th I brought in my 2008 335xi for warranty replacement of the HPFP. I had 105k miles on the dot.

Timeline of events:

My self diagnostic included replacing the LPF sensor 2000 miles ago for 29F3 codes. The sensor was bad. I read the signal off the sensor and it would jump between full open and fully closed. Before I brought the car in, I monitored the HPF and LPF sensor values to make sure it's my issue. On cold starts, HPFP is extremely slow to build pressure and results in long cranks as well as stumbling.

The correct diagnostic here is to test the LPF sensor and replace if it's failed. There should be no reason other than preventing future failures for replacing the sensor to the updated version. As far as I'm concerned, the old LPF is faulty and should be included with the HPFP replacement. When I went to the dealer, I asked to see the technical papers for conducting the warranty replacement. This is what they handed me. (print out from ISTA)

Now I think "A new fuel low pressure sensor will be included" seems to mean the sensor is included with the warranty. Apparently, it is not and we have to pay for the labor to replace it. Which coincidentally covers partial labor to replace the fuel pump

Right now I'm waiting for BMWNA to call me so I can discuss my concerns with them. If nothing comes of it, I'll tear everything down again and replace the line myself then bring it back. Logic.
Why not ask an SA at Tischer BMW?
Maybe try Passport BMW?

Both I heard have good customer service... (Just ask them with the paperwork from this dealership) to see if they can help you out.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Why not ask an SA at Tischer BMW?
Maybe try Passport BMW?

Both I heard have good customer service... (Just ask them with the paperwork from this dealership) to see if they can help you out.
Rockville took the paperwork when they asked me to leave, unfortunately. All I have are pictures and my words.
      01-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Rockville took the paperwork when they asked me to leave, unfortunately. All I have are pictures and my words.
Did you pay them for any diagnostics? Did you get a receipt for anything they did? Bring anything you have on the issue/topic and just ask the SA's @ Passport BMW or Tischer BMW.

I'd be willing to bet someone can help you. Tell them the people on e90post referred you to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you pay them for any diagnostics? Did you get a receipt for anything they did? Bring anything you have on the issue/topic and just ask the SA's @ Passport BMW or Tischer BMW.

I'd be willing to bet someone can help you. Tell them the people on e90post referred you to them.
The service director handed my keys and told me to leave. Diagnostic fee was waived. It was very clear that they were trying not to leave a paper trail of me ever being there.
      01-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #15
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The service director handed my keys and told me to leave. Diagnostic fee was waived. It was very clear that they were trying not to leave a paper trail of me ever being there.
So you lost some time, but no loss of money yet. TAke what you heard and just change the phrasing to your "Indy" told you the following when he inspected your car and you know that these cars have a 10 year/120k mile warranty. Describe the problem and the issue and see which dealerships are willing to work with you.

Also cross shop how much an Indy will cost to do the same job out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #16
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
So you lost some time, but no loss of money yet. TAke what you heard and just change the phrasing to your "Indy" told you the following when he inspected your car and you know that these cars have a 10 year/120k mile warranty. Describe the problem and the issue and see which dealerships are willing to work with you.

Also cross shop how much an Indy will cost to do the same job out of pocket.
$460 :P
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-33...uel/ES2189759/

Last edited by cmg5461; 01-11-2016 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #17
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Please, don't go back to that place. I used to go to Rockville (it was close to my workplace), but they did irritate me on several occasions. My favorite one was when they told me to bring their loaner back on Wednesday evening, THE NIGHT BEFORE THANKSGIVING, because they won't have me driving it over the holiday (my car, of course, was NOT ready to be picked up; that took them another week)

This was my last dealing with them:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007962

Of course, they didn't rectify the problem and didn't do sh!t about it. Sadly, even after contacting BMWNA 3 times about the matter (Rockville wouldn't answer my emails) nothing was done. BMWNA ignored my complaint just like Rockville did. I have moved since then, and now I'm taking my business and my aftermarket warranty mostly to indys.

Good luck with the Sterling location, and don't even bother with BMW of Rockville.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #18
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

BMW dealerships are a dime a dozen in the DC/MD/VA area. In fact, BMW of Silver Spring (formerly Tischer BMW aka www.getbmwparts.com) is only 13 miles from BMW of Rockville. Most BMW dealerships in the DC/Baltimore area offer very good service and pricing because the competition is so fierce. Sounds like Rockville may be an exception though.
      03-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #19
Immoralus
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Sorry to revive a 2 month old thread but I had the same thing for the most part happen. Went to BMW of Annapolis In hopes of getting my hpfp replaced and they said they needed to replace the lpfp (Which is a stage 2 fuel-it). Did a couple of logs for Steve and he confirmed it. Due to my modifications I guess I have no option but to pay out of pocket for the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #20
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:

Call BMW NA Corporate. They love to hear how dealerships treat people like shit. I already got an apology letter from one their VPs.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #21
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Id like to hear from OP, did he ever get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #22
cmg5461
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I replaced the LPF sensor on my own dime and brought it back and had the HPFP replaced. They almost tried to pull "well you didn't use oem parts"

B.S. I used oem parts from ECS.