E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 136k miles on 335 and 2nd hpfp failure

01-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i

136k miles on 335 and 2nd hpfp failure

My car just had it's second hpfp failure after crossing about 136k miles. I've pretty much had all of the normal expected repairs on this car over the course of 136k miles. Some of the repairs showed up during my warranty period so they were covered at the dealer but there were some that I had to pay out of pocket. I no longer go to the dealer because they're just way too expensive and the last straw was when my car had a little over 100k miles and I reported that it was hesitating when accelerating and it felt lumpy at idle at times. They made some suggestions made me about $800 lighter. The problem didn't go away and so I called an independent and right off the bat, they said I would more than likely need a walnut blasting. Took it in and had it done and it fixed the problem and never looked back.

In any case, this failure was pretty immediate. If I remember correctly, when I had my first hpfp failure, I had long cranks and such. This time, I only noticed that when I came home from work on Thursday, I sat in my driveway in Park as I was on the phone and the idle was a little lumpy. Didn't really think anything of it. Went to start the car on Friday morning and it just took a dump. Started the car and the rpm shot up to 2000 then it just dumped to like 500 and below and felt like it was going to stall. Then it did stall. Tried to restart it and it took a couple of cranks and then restarted and then had a super lumpy idle and was fluctuating all over the place.

Any case, after the independent shop looked at it, they confirmed that it is the hpfp. Looking back, I think any early sign that something was wrong and not quite right was I have noticed that my mpg has gone down lately. I do a lot of freeway driving so I normally get about 400 miles out of a full tank. Lately, I've been getting about 350 miles.

I don't have the invoice in front of my but I think the hpfp part number they used ends in 466 and I noticed it said rebuilt. I asked why it wasn't a new one and they said, that's what they got from BMW and it does come with a 2 year unlimited miles warranty. My car is a 2008 so I've gone for many miles on the first pump replacement. Hopefully, this second pump will last a very long time too.
      01-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

My HPFP went out in a off way. I would get long warm starts but cold starts were normal. Replacing the HPFP fixed it.

I would say your car is one of the solid reliable ones. I have a 2010 and it's been drama for the past 2 years of ownership at 50k miles.

HPFP, injectors, waterpump, coils, plugs, valve cover gasket, ofhg, expansion tank, control arm bushing, boost solenoid, fuel tank charcoal canister.

Most of these are normal I guess. I'm taking it to the dealer now to fix this whining sound I hear when going 60mph. Most likely the wheel bearings but I'm betting it's the drivetrain bearings.

Least reliable but most loving car ever

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Talk about a bad flashback! Many heads were exploding back in 07 and 08. I always wondered if the original "fix" would banish the HPFP curse forever or just delay it. Not much data out there on the long term outlook. How much to replace it at the indy ?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post
My HPFP went out in a off way. I would get long warm starts but cold starts were normal. Replacing the HPFP fixed it.

I would say your car is one of the solid reliable ones. I have a 2010 and it's been drama for the past 2 years of ownership at 50k miles.

HPFP, injectors, waterpump, coils, plugs, valve cover gasket, ofhg, expansion tank, control arm bushing, boost solenoid, fuel tank charcoal canister.

Most of these are normal I guess. I'm taking it to the dealer now to fix this whining sound I hear when going 60mph. Most likely the wheel bearings but I'm betting it's the drivetrain bearings.

It's weird how some are mostly reliable and others aren't when they are made by the same robots in the same factory with the same parts
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Let mine go at 62k just recently over the above concerns, but managed to dodge most of the bullets. Recently dealt with a Mechatronic leak and a bad wheel bearing (probably your problem-same symptom). Car stranded me in a bad neighborhood last summer which was kind of the last straw. Normal? From a BMW perspective, I guess. The wife's Honda at 180k and 11yrs hasn't had anything other than normal maintenance. But, it's a Honda for better or worse.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent
Quote:

Let mine go at 62k just recently over the above concerns, but managed to dodge most of the bullets. Recently dealt with a Mechatronic leak and a bad wheel bearing (probably your problem-same symptom). Car stranded me in a bad neighborhood last summer which was kind of the last straw. Normal? From a BMW perspective, I guess. The wife's Honda at 180k and 11yrs hasn't had anything other than normal maintenance. But, it's a Honda for better or worse.
I mean wheel bearings are only 50$ a piece but still.

Did you ever find out what the problem was? Was your car having any vibrations.

Luckily I'm under CPO until March 1st so I'm gonna let BMW handle it and hopefully they do

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
Talk about a bad flashback! Many heads were exploding back in 07 and 08. I always wondered if the original "fix" would banish the HPFP curse forever or just delay it. Not much data out there on the long term outlook. How much to replace it at the indy ?
It came out to about $660.

Quote:

I don't know if I would call my car one of the more reliable ones as it has also had its fair share of problems. Nice car to drive and a good looking car but it's definitely not as reliable as a Toyota/Lexus.

I'm still planning on holding onto my car for some more years as I don't want an other car payment right now. I'm just hoping that Toyota/Lexus starts making cars that I want because the more stuff that goes wrong with my 335, the harder it will be for me to stick with the brand. I'm hoping Toyota makes the Supra awesome and prices it within reason not in Porsche 911 or Porsche Cayman territory. If they keep in the low 50's starting and say tops out at 65k, that would really interest me. The RC-F really interests me too but it really does seem to heavy for a car it's size. Maybe the next gen RC-F will see about a 400-500 pound weight reduction.
      01-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
Fun w/N54
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT

OP...what year was the first failure and do you have part number on paperwork? There were many updated version throughout the years.
      01-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I mean wheel bearings are only 50$ a piece but still.

Did you ever find out what the problem was? Was your car having any vibrations.

Luckily I'm under CPO until March 1st so I'm gonna let BMW handle it and hopefully they do
With my winters on, the thing would whine, starting at 40, then going away, then louder at 50, then quieter, then really loud at 60, and so on. Kind of a resonance. With the summers on, it just was a low pitched hum with some vibration. BTW, the part may be cheap but it apparently can be a real bear to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun w/N54 View Post
OP...what year was the first failure and do you have part number on paperwork? There were many updated version throughout the years.
I don't remember what year my first failure occurred in but it was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I think the part number ended in 446 too.

The guy at the indy did tell me that there were a few updates to the part over the years and so to my surprise when I saw the write up that it was 446 rebuilt. I assumed that it would have been a different part number but he told me that this is what came up at BMW when they went to purchase the part. He told me it is the most current.

Does anybody have a different part number besides 446 and i believe the other part ended in 193?