E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Service Soon light comes on after spark plug/coil replacement

01-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
seanchen95
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2C (On Order) | 2011

Exclamation Engine Service Soon light comes on after spark plug/coil replacement

Hi all! My 2011 E92 328i hit 65k earlier this year (bought 2 years ago as CPO). The engine service soon light came and stayed on; the engine started rough idling and shaking a lot when accelerating earlier this month.

I figured its just engine misfiring so i brought it in to a local dealer for service. They replaced all 6 spark plugs/ignition coils as well as valve cover assembly(never knew what that is) under CPO warranty! and the car drives like new again.

However, today the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light as well as an exclamation mark "!" comes back on when i put the key in and hit the start/stop engine w/o foot on the brake, which turns on all the electronics but keeps the engine off. The MIL stays on until I start the engine. I checked the gas cap and it was closed properly.

What might be the causes of this phenomenon? Can I bring the car in again and have the dealership check it? I am kinda worried about it since the warranty will expire Sep 2016.

Any input is greatly appreciated! I will attach the repair invoice shortly!

Here comes the Invoice!

Also the MIL:

Last edited by seanchen95; 01-24-2016 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: added pics
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Bring the car back in of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
seanchen95
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2C (On Order) | 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel Toe View Post
Bring the car back in of course.
Thanks for the reply. Idk if they are gonna charge me another $50 deductible tho. .. Sure I will call the service advisor tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 03:59 AM   #4
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanchen95 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Idk if they are gonna charge me another $50 deductible tho. .. Sure I will call the service advisor tomorrow!
Are you saying that the light is only on when the ignition is on, but the engine is off? If so that's normal. When you turn on the ignition, all the warning lights illuminate to make sure they're working. The other lights will turn off after a few seconds but the service engine soon light will stay on until you start the engine. If the light is off when the engine is running, then there's nothing wrong.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Could be that the tech never cleared the light in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, kkasson is probably correct. You do not understand what you are looking at. When you insert the key into the dash, then push the engine start button without your foot on the brake, the car goes into "ignition mode", which does a self check of all the icon warnings in the gauge cluster. This means nothing is wrong with the car and it is just going trough a self check. If the SES light is on when the engine is running, then there is a OBDII diagnostic trouble code stored in the engine computer, which can be read by a scan tool.

Regarding the exclamation point... That symbol comes up when there is some sort of issue with the car such as a service item is due, or a light bulb is out, low coolant, or there is a low amount of fuel in the gas tank and the car is at or below the low fuel warning, etc. Once the car is running you can use the I-drive (if the car has it) or the turn signal stalk to check either the service info menu or the vehicle condition menu to find out why the exclamation point comes up.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0