E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Help Diagnosing an Issue! (2006 530i) Update: Problem Fixed

01-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Need Help Diagnosing an Issue! (2006 530i) Update: Problem Fixed

Hello everyone, the 5 series forum (e60) is fairly dead, so since a lot of issues amongst engines are at least somewhat comparable I thought I might as well try my luck here.

We've had the car for nearly 100,000 miles with relatively no issues; now it's around 180,000 miles.

Anyway, my mother says the check engine light came on and the car /engine vibrates violently under load--thoughts on things I should check? Thank you.

No discernible rough idle, but under acceleration or load while coasting, the car 'stumbles', like it's misfiring.

I'd just like to have a rough idea on what to check and go into my shop with prior knowledge--need the car back and operational as quickly as possible! (As does everyone who has an issue with their car, )

Last edited by YouAreMyWorld; 01-26-2016 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Msport

First step is checking the codes first.. if it's a misfire which it seems like it's the case.. I'd check the spark plugs first and coils after.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Spark plugs and/or coils?
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckedhim View Post
Spark plugs and/or coils?
Spark plugs were changed within the last 10,000 miles. Coils however, I do believe they are due for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 M335i View Post
First step is checking the codes first.. if it's a misfire which it seems like it's the case.. I'd check the spark plugs first and coils after.
I unfortunately do not have an OBD reader for my mothers vehicle/year, I feel that it's a coil-pack as well, but I just want to 'make sure'. If it's not a coil pack, do you guys know what else it can be?

My father is taking the car into the shop tomorrow, so I won't be with him. Thus I want to make him as informed as possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Update:

I just took the car for a spin myself. Startup was normal and fine, oil level normal, no iDrive notification, but the CEL is on. Driving is fine until acceleration or load, car acts lethargic or 'stumbles' with noticeable vibration.

No disconcerting sounds made, but definitely feels like a coil-pack on the outs to me based on the input above. Car drives fine, but anything about/above 3,000rpm makes the aforementioned issue pop up again. Definitely does not seem to be a gearing/transmission issue.

Hopefully it is something as minor as this, she seems to be running strong, and has been very reliable--I hope that stretch continues for quite a while more!

Anyone else have more input as to what the problem could be, if it's not resolved by installing new coils?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 12:17 AM   #6
Masry335i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post
Update:

I just took the car for a spin myself. Startup was normal and fine, oil level normal, no iDrive notification, but the CEL is on. Driving is fine until acceleration or load, car acts lethargic or 'stumbles' with noticeable vibration.

No disconcerting sounds made, but definitely feels like a coil-pack on the outs to me based on the input above. Car drives fine, but anything about/above 3,000rpm makes the aforementioned issue pop up again. Definitely does not seem to be a gearing/transmission issue.

Hopefully it is something as minor as this, she seems to be running strong, and has been very reliable--I hope that stretch continues for quite a while more!

Anyone else have more input as to what the problem could be, if it's not resolved by installing new coils?

Thank you!

Trust me, go get the code checked asap im sure there are auto stores that scan for free. But you'll never know exactly what the issue is unless you get the code. It could be coils but can also be something to do with intake or obstructed gas flow.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
bizzleb109
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i convertible

Hi I had a similar issue with my audi a6 when driving the car vibrates alot feels like a bad miss fire when at lights and just idle in neutral car seems fine. Turned out to be the drive shaft.

Hope that helps....
I was told so many things....if engine mounts, plugs, etc
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Arktis Metallic

Well from what I gathered I can only assume one of your coil packs when bye bye. I had a coil pack go out on me recently, luckily I carry my scanner in my car so I scanned for codes and found the one that was bad. Went to Autozone bought a new one and it fixed my problem. I then errased the CEL. For the future, invest in an OBD2 scanner. Look into ELM27 on ebay, they are cheap and work great. GL!
      01-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Spark plugs were changed within the last 10,000 miles. Coils however, I do believe they are due for a change.

I unfortunately do not have an OBD reader for my mothers vehicle/year, I feel that it's a coil-pack as well, but I just want to 'make sure'. If it's not a coil pack, do you guys know what else it can be?

My father is taking the car into the shop tomorrow, so I won't be with him. Thus I want to make him as informed as possible.
You do have an OBDII reader for the E60. That's the point of OBDII; it is common across all manufacturers for every car built from model year 1996 and up. Scan the car with an OBDII code reader or scan tool for the trouble codes related to the SES light. Get the codes and report back so we can help witout just guessing.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You do have an OBDII reader for the E60. That's the point of OBDII; it is common across all manufacturers for every car built from model year 1996 and up. Scan the car with an OBDII code reader or scan tool for the trouble codes related to the SES light. Get the codes and report back so we can help witout just guessing.
I have an OBDII, I know the one I use for my 335i can work with with the E60, it's just that I don't have a code reader at the moment. I'll be looking into one shortly though!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #11
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep

Update #2:

As it turns out, it was a spark plug. What caused the spark plug to go out as 'quickly' as it did was due to an oil leak from a nearby gasket. Oil seeped into bank five and caused the spark plug to give way.

Thank you everyone for all of your responses, I felt confident that it was a rather small issue. The car is running just like new and we've since fixed the small oil leak that caused the spark plug to go bad in the first place.

Thanks everyone once again!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 05:15 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I have an OBDII, I know the one I use for my 335i can work with with the E60, it's just that I don't have a code reader at the moment. I'll be looking into one shortly though!
I'm not sure you understand what OBDII is.

Also, do you have more detail regarding the final diagnosis and repair. It sounds like the ring-gasket of the valve cover gasket set that seals the spark plug cavity failed and allowed oil to build up in the spark plug cavity thus causing a misfire. There must have been a serious amount of oil. I still find it difficult to believe unless the oil caused the coil to fail. It certainly was not that the spark plug was oil fouled.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0