E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hit at a pothole and buckled my wheel - what can i do?

02-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Hit at a pothole and buckled my wheel - what can i do?

was on a slip road picking up speed to merge onto the motorway and hit a pothole while I was kind of turning aswell. its buckled my wheel but it is repairable.

is there anything I can get out of the council for this?

also does anyone recommend anyone in midlands to get it sorted from?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

you can claim off the council or highways agency (whoevers responsibility that section of road is), but they'll usually try to shirk out of the claim by saying they simply didnt know about the hole.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
You usually need photographic evidence showing the pothole on the day the incident happened, where it is on the road and how it was unavoidable (without having a head on collision, for example!). If you can set your camera/phone to date stamp the pictures, and also have something to hand to indicate/scale the size of the hole against.

I'd take it back to whoever has advised it is repairable.
      03-01-2016, 04:25 AM   #4
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

how do I exactly go onto the slip road of a motorway to get a picture?

I guess ill have to just fork out myself...

turns out the wheel is actually cracked aswell which is a nightmare
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #5
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

That's a sh*tter mate. I absolutely thumped one last week. Also unavoidable. Luckily no permanent damage I think.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
how do I exactly go onto the slip road of a motorway to get a picture?

I guess ill have to just fork out myself...

turns out the wheel is actually cracked aswell which is a nightmare
Yeah, that's a bit of an arse.
      03-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
Richierich32
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d in White

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj
was on a slip road picking up speed to merge onto the motorway and hit a pothole while I was kind of turning aswell. its buckled my wheel but it is repairable.

is there anything I can get out of the council for this?

also does anyone recommend anyone in midlands to get it sorted from?
Bigger mate.

Running 19 313 on my e92 and on RFTs felt like hitting a land mine, had wheel alignment done the other day and camber is well out on drivers side which is where I hit a big pothole last
      03-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Ajerthan
Bimmaaaa
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 325  [0.00]
Claim.

Depending on how big the pothole, if they have been notified in the past.

Please report it first: https://www.gov.uk/report-pothole

Photos do not have to be timestamped. However, you do need good photos of the potholes and the wheel. Write a letter explaining how it happened, basically it wasn't visible till the it was too late. I should have my old letter if you need it. Also attach a quote to fix the damage such as a quote from BMW for a new wheel + fitting.

InstaGram: Ajerthan
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

My neighbour done front and back near side on a pothole up our road. Cracked both wheels and put a huge bulge in the front tyre. As there aftermarkets he had to buy a new set of 4 and a tyre + a realignment.

He tried to claim but the council said as it does not have spray paint round it there not aware of it and he has no chance of a claim, 2days later it was filled in.
      03-02-2016, 02:45 AM   #10
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richierich32 View Post
Bigger mate.

Running 19 313 on my e92 and on RFTs felt like hitting a land mine, had wheel alignment done the other day and camber is well out on drivers side which is where I hit a big pothole last
what did you do next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajerthan View Post
Claim.

Depending on how big the pothole, if they have been notified in the past.

Please report it first: https://www.gov.uk/report-pothole

Photos do not have to be timestamped. However, you do need good photos of the potholes and the wheel. Write a letter explaining how it happened, basically it wasn't visible till the it was too late. I should have my old letter if you need it. Also attach a quote to fix the damage such as a quote from BMW for a new wheel + fitting.
thanks mate...I have a claim with highways agency however I don't know how ill be able to take a picture on the slip road of a motorway though plus it cant be legal! ive answered a few of there questions but if you have a letter then that would be great mate if you can give me a feel on what to say. did you claim and what did they cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
My neighbour done front and back near side on a pothole up our road. Cracked both wheels and put a huge bulge in the front tyre. As there aftermarkets he had to buy a new set of 4 and a tyre + a realignment.

He tried to claim but the council said as it does not have spray paint round it there not aware of it and he has no chance of a claim, 2days later it was filled in.
when you say 2 days later it was filled in what do you mean?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:52 AM   #11
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

He means the council fixed it within 2 days.

The council (or highways) have a obligation to maintain the roads. And so if they ignore damage to a road, and that damage then smashes your wheel, you can claim off them.

However part of the process includes the fact that for them to have ignored the damage they need to know the damage is there. If its a new pot hole, and no-ones told them about it, they have a solid defence and will reject your compensation. If they did know about it, but took a week to come and fix it and you smashed your wheel within that week, then you've got a valid claim.

The issue is a hole will open up, and everyone just ignores it and drives around it, expecting the council to magically just find the hole and fix it.
Appreciate 0