E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help, where do i stand on this issue

05-25-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
Spanner99
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 330d

Help, where do i stand on this issue

So basically i brought my e93 back in january from a cooper dealership in Southampton. Upon buying it i had all the wheels refurbished and the tracking was done as part of the deal as well. Since having it I've covered a little over 3000 miles but it has always pulled slightly left.

Today ive had 2 rear tyres replaced and while it was being done they have checked the fronts and are telling me that both inner edges are worn through, one of them has cords hanging out. The tracking has been checked and its a mile out.

Where do i stand on the fact that i was told the tracking was done but quite possibly hasnt been and ive now gone through the front tyres in 3000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

You didn't get a print out of the tracking?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
richy_335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e91 335d m sport

Always worth a try of goodwill
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:37 AM   #4
Spanner99
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric View Post
You didn't get a print out of the tracking?
No, so the more i think about it the more i think they didnt do it. Tbh the aftersales was really poor i had to chase them for weeks trying to get my service book that i was told would be posted to me the day after i collected the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #5
russjonesr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

This is always a difficult one....

As you said its highly likely that they never did it...the problem is they could turn around and say you must have curbed it causing the problem post tracking!

That still wouldn't going back to them and giving them some shit! You never know.
Jb4 with Trebila BEF,vargas stage 2+ turbos, vrsf dp's, vrsf cp with tial bov, vrfs 7" fmic, EOS PI with BMS PI controller, RB Inlets and Outlets, bms meth kit, BMS DCI, miltek cat back, bms occ,3.5 tmap, ngk 5992 plugs, HSD coilovers, M3 rear subframe, diff, drive shafts , suspension and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Sadly it seems a little late now. I had my tracking redone after sale because the wheel was clearly miles out. Post fix it was obvious it had been corrected.

Sadly BMW AUC standards don't mean much at all and checking inner wear is something you have to do before purchase. You could complain to the manager and ask for the AUC results. They do seem to have internal processes regarding low standards of AUC prep (I have raised a few of these).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I doubt tracking is included in their "multi point" check.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You could have hit a curb driving round the first corner after buying the car. If the car pulled to one side you should have told them straight away and asked them to look at it. If you push the dealership they will give you a copy of the inspection report. I managed to get one for a car I had issues with, but I can't remember if tracking was included in the check. For sure the report records tyre wear. If the tracking was out prior to you driving away with the car it should show uneven tyre wear. That is the only way I can think you would have a leg to stand on.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I doubt tracking is included in their "multi point" check.
It is, but I doubt they check it often. To have gone through tyres in 3000 miles suggests they were pretty bare to start with and they are covered too.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #10
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner99 View Post
So basically i brought my e93 back in january from a cooper dealership in Southampton. Upon buying it i had all the wheels refurbished and the tracking was done as part of the deal as well. Since having it I've covered a little over 3000 miles but it has always pulled slightly left.

Today ive had 2 rear tyres replaced and while it was being done they have checked the fronts and are telling me that both inner edges are worn through, one of them has cords hanging out. The tracking has been checked and its a mile out.

Where do i stand on the fact that i was told the tracking was done but quite possibly hasnt been and ive now gone through the front tyres in 3000 miles.
Firstly I'm assuming your wheels aren't curbed as they were freshly refurbished at the point of sale, this is very important.

If so, I would first email them to confirm your car had a KDS prior to sale as per the contract you entered in to to purchase it - I would do this via email - don't elaborate beyond this point.

Then once you have that confirmation, I would send them a copy of alignment print out showing the discrepancies found and ask them to check this against the KDS information they have.

I would then wait for them to come back and respond as to why the alignment is out and the wheels aren't curbed.

If you hear nothing or get nonesesne send another email asking for their Dealer Principle to be involved. If you hear nothing then contact BMW customer services sending them an email summarising the above.

If geo is out on 2 or more wheels and your wheels aren't curbed then the KDS either wasn't done or wasn't done right (very unlikely). Its very hard to knock out multiple wheels without some evidence of curbing. Your car either has excessive toe out on both wheels or excessive camber to wear the inner edges - However, run flats do wear there inner edges first but this should be identified prior to sale in any case and now you know this it would be also sensible to ask them why they didn't change the tyres if the car had curbed wheels and was out of alignment.

The dealer principle is obligated not to lie to you as typically they're a director at the garage franchise, so if they dodge the issue and don't respond BMW customer service in my expereince will help.

Your last case, after you have done all this is to issue a small claims for alignment + tyres, they will look at the reasonability of your actions and I doubt the garage will want to turn up at a small claims hearing for a loss of a few hundred quid...

I'd like to think the garage will sort this out for you as 3000 miles is within the bounds of reasonability, AUC is meant to mean the car needs nothing for 5000 miles/12 months otherwise its done prior to sale - i.e. all servicing, tyres etc..

Good luck..

Last edited by Will_460cs; 06-01-2016 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
Spanner99
Private
Rep

Cheers, I'll try that approach. The wheels are all still mint. Yes the geometry is out on both front wheels and the rear offside. The other issue I've had since is that the brake pad warning indicator has now come on yet the car had a full service before I picked it up. Do I bring this up or just bite the bullet and get them done myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Firstly I'm assuming your wheels aren't curbed as they were freshly refurbished at the point of sale, this is very important.

If so, I would first email them to confirm your car had a KDS prior to sale as per the contract you entered in to to purchase it - I would do this via email - don't elaborate beyond this point.

Then once you have that confirmation, I would send them a copy of alignment print out showing the discrepancies found and ask them to check this against the KDS information they have.

I would then wait for them to come back and respond as to why the alignment is out and the wheels aren't curbed.

If you hear nothing or get nonesesne send another email asking for their Dealer Principle to be involved. If you hear nothing then contact BMW customer services sending them an email summarising the above.

If geo is out on 2 or more wheels and your wheels aren't curbed then the KDS either wasn't done or wasn't done right (very unlikely). Its very hard to knock out multiple wheels without some evidence of curbing. Your car either has excessive toe out on both wheels or excessive camber to wear the inner edges - However, run flats do wear there inner edges first but this should be identified prior to sale in any case and now you know this it would be also sensible to ask them why they didn't change the tyres if the car had curbed wheels and was out of alignment.

The dealer principle is obligated not to lie to you as typically they're a director at the garage franchise, so if they dodge the issue and don't respond BMW customer service in my expereince will help.

Your last case, after you have done all this is to issue a small claims for alignment + tyres, they will look at the reasonability of your actions and I doubt the garage will want to turn up at a small claims hearing for a loss of a few hundred quid...

I'd like to think the garage will sort this out for you as 3000 miles is within the bounds of reasonability, AUC is meant to mean the car needs nothing for 5000 miles/12 months otherwise its done prior to sale - i.e. all servicing, tyres etc..

Good luck..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner99 View Post
Cheers, I'll try that approach. The wheels are all still mint. Yes the geometry is out on both front wheels and the rear offside. The other issue I've had since is that the brake pad warning indicator has now come on yet the car had a full service before I picked it up. Do I bring this up or just bite the bullet and get them done myself?
Deal with the issue separately. A full service wouldn't include pads, but see my comments AUC expectations..
Appreciate 0