BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) My new X-Drive 20i Sport

07-12-2016, 02:59 AM   #1
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

My new X-Drive 20i Sport

I actually got my car on the 30th June, but between a busy family and some travelling this is the first chance I've had to let the world know it's here. I've just tried to upload some pics, but need to resize, so will post them later.

For all those in the UK wondering about delivery times, mine took exactly 7 weeks from order to pick up at the dealership, I was originally told 8 weeks so getting it a week earlier was a bonus.

Having driven the car to Maastricht and back I can honestly say I have no regrets at all about buying my F48. The car has exceeded all my expectations in comfort, noise, handling and pure ease of driving. You have to bear in mind that this is the first car I have got for myself, in the past all new cars have had to be 7 seat family cars, either to fit the 7 of us (plus Labrador) at once, or any combination of people dogs wheelchair/scooter/luggage. So when I read about uncomfortable seats, road noise and hard rides I was a bit worried, but having now driven the car for over a thousand miles in a few days I have no worries at all. I can imagine that if someone "comes down" to an X1 they will notice a bit more noise etc, but for me it has been luxury driving.

As a disabled driver my whole driving experience has been DRASTICALLY improved by this car. I have been considering hand controls for some time due to my disability, but they pose their own problems for me. Thankfully every car I've had for years now has had cruise control, but NONE of them compares to the cruise on the X1, the ability to brake quite hard using a downward push on a button is a godsend and to then properly accelerate using an upward push...fantastic. Getting in and out is easy due to the extra height (I had thought about a 3 series but couldn't get into the one at the dealers) and the best bit has to be the electric tailgate. For years now I've had to use the handles on my crutches to try and pull the tailgate down or even some days have to ask a passing stranger to help me close the tailgate. Now, it's the touch of a button.

Despite all my praise of the car there are a couple of niggles, the SatNav for one. (basic model) I don't like any of the map views and would have liked some sort of lane departure view, however if I am on the media/radio screen I do get a picture of which lane to take at a junction, roundabout etc. It would be nice if this picture came up on the Nav screen as well. Maybe it does and I just haven't set it up yet. None of my niggles are serious and I know most if not all would be taken care of if I had spent a bit more on some options.

Finally, fuel economy. I had to think long and hard about getting a petrol or diesel. On the Motability scheme there is an advance payment for some cars (similar to contract purchases) and the advance for mine was £1799, the same diesel model would have cost £2699 (options are extra paid for up front). So comparing economy I worked out that it would cost around £250 -£300 a year extra to run a petrol model depending on mileage, so over the 3 years of the lease it would end up costing around the same, this meant I could add the cruise option, which otherwise would take me over budget. I did all my calculations using the official figures, I then did some more using my own guestimations i.e official diesel figures are always way over actual, where as official petrol are often closer to actual. So I based all my calculations on getting 38mpg at best.
Now imagine my shock when my round trip to Maastricht has just returned over 42mpg, mostly on motorways, mostly around/above 80mph (sometimes a lot above) at one point it was showing 44.4mpg, there was still quite a bit of town driving and a few jams. Amazing.

So that's my initial thoughts, now it's off to Slovenia in two weeks.

One last point.......Before any UK members start thinking....Motability!!! Benefit Scrounger....................I was pensioned out of the RAF after an injury and I run my own (very) small business from home and I would gladly swap this car to be able to live a normal life.
Appreciate 6
      07-12-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i

Many thanks for the review and thoughts, and insight into your particular situation.

We look forward to your pix

I take delivery of my xDrive 25i in a couple of days
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 04:24 AM   #3
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Mate, there is actually no need to explain..... we are not all narrow minded as some......

Thanks for being an ex-service man... god knows we need you guys..

Nice review........ still waiting for mine to arrive
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 04:38 AM   #4
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Congrats Saintsman and welcome to the UK Petrol club - we are a growing minority.

Are your mpg figures actual or from the On Board Computer - if from the OBC you will probably find them to be 2-3 mpg higher than actual. However I still think the 20i petrol engine gives more than reasonable mpg and is a real pleasure to drive (as you have obviously discovered).

I just got back from a week in Cornwall (not so glamorous - but the weather was good) and reflected what a pleasurable and effortless drive it had been.
Appreciate 5
      07-12-2016, 05:28 AM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Great review from a different perspective, and we're glad to hear your research including our experiences have paid off. Enjoy that holiday!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Congratulations and welcome to Club 20i UK!

Now... The one and only important question... When are you getting your Red Bull Racing custom moulded seat cushions?
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #7
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Great review & glad that you are enjoying your new car. I work down the road in Sandy & often pop to various places around the Cambridge area so might see you about

Look forward to the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Remember, if for whatever reason, you struggle to access the boot closing button you can always hold down the boot release button on the key-fob...as the boot is powered, it will shut remotely.

Look forward to seeing the pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Congratulations and welcome to Club 20i UK!

Now... The one and only important question... When are you getting your Red Bull Racing custom moulded seat cushions?
Don't need it the seats were great, I have a couple of lumbar supports and with the adjustable sides they are really comfy. Still going on a tour at some point, later in the year.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Waiting for the Boxmeer ferry, and yes the badge is green and gold, it goes with the black BMW outline and my avatar, a present from one of my sons.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #11
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

A few more pics,
Day 1 just before it got a wash, polish and wax. (day 2 it was dirty due to the construction going on around the house)

Brugge or Bruges depending which language.

Consumption figure, not the speed shows it wasn't just motorway driving.

QPark in Maastricht, we parked earlier, when we came back to change there were 2 other X1's, an X5 and an X6 beside each other.

The scooter in the boot with room for the dog. (this was the test drive car)

The last pic is the San Bernadino pass in Switzerland, can't wait.

I'll post some pics of the seats later as I went for the grey stripe and interior instead of the standard red.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #12
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsman View Post
Despite all my praise of the car there are a couple of niggles, the SatNav for one. (basic model) I don't like any of the map views and would have liked some sort of lane departure view, however if I am on the media/radio screen I do get a picture of which lane to take at a junction, roundabout etc. It would be nice if this picture came up on the Nav screen as well. Maybe it does and I just haven't set it up yet. None of my niggles are serious and I know most if not all would be taken care of if I had spent a bit more on some options.
Does the "Arrow on map" view show lane information in the smaller Nav screen? The technical guides have the screenshots below; don't know if they are helpful? I'm still waiting for the delivery of mine so can't confirm, but I have got the "basic" Nav too with the smaller screen...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
Does the "Arrow on map" view show lane information in the smaller Nav screen? The technical guides have the screenshots below; don't know if they are helpful? I'm still waiting for the delivery of mine so can't confirm, but I have got the "basic" Nav too with the smaller screen...
With the small screen its one or the other. There is no split screen mode.

So, if you press the "NAV" button you get the map view only, but even this on its own does a few things, zoom out and you get weather, zoom in a bit and you see various roadworks, zoom in further and you get you POI's.
If you select radio or media you get the album art/radio station pic with no map, you still get voice commands but as you approach a junction, roundabout etc then you get the land info, but no map.

I was pleasantly surprised to get traffic info, it worked reasonably well on or trip, giving up a diversion through Maastricht to avoid major roadworks, however it also told me I was in a "dangerous traffic situation" as I drove through a non-existant traffic jam in Belgium, so not perfect.

Now having seen your pics, I am off to play around and try and get the info on the bottom screenshot.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #14
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The handbook suggests that the top and bottom information boxes (with the clock and the arrival time respectively) are Status Fields, and can be switched on and off by pressing the controller and selecting "Status information on". I'm not sure if enabling or disabling the "Status information" would bring up or hide the next route instruction, lane information etc. though. Have fun fiddling!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

There is no "Arrow on map" view.
the views are:
North Orientated
Direction of Travel
Perspective
Arrow view (arrow only NOT on map)
Traffic conditions
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #16
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsman View Post
There is no "Arrow on map" view.
the views are:
North Orientated
Direction of Travel
Perspective
Arrow view (arrow only NOT on map)
Traffic conditions
I have the basic nav (small screen). It seems that sometimes I get lane information, and sometimes not: I usually use "Direction of Travel" view.

One place it does show is at the various M6/M42/M6 Toll junctions, which would be useful if I hadn't already learnt what to do there .
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #17
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I forgot to mention the hill descent control. I never thought I would use it in Holland, but the car park was underground and the slope down was one of the steepest I've come across, so on with the hdc and it worked a treat.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #18
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Now that I've got the car I've been playing with the (basic...) Nav and managed to get something similar to the screenshot I posted above, with turning information, roundabouts etc. overlaid on the map screen.

While you're actively in Guidance mode, with a destination set, if you click left into the vertical bar, and then scroll down to the bottom to the small "i+" (Additional Information) and then select the "Arrow view on map" (4th option) you should see the junctions, roundabouts etc. on the right of the screen as per the screenshot above.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #19
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
Now that I've got the car I've been playing with the (basic...) Nav and managed to get something similar to the screenshot I posted above, with turning information, roundabouts etc. overlaid on the map screen.

While you're actively in Guidance mode, with a destination set, if you click left into the vertical bar, and then scroll down to the bottom to the small "i+" (Additional Information) and then select the "Arrow view on map" (4th option) you should see the junctions, roundabouts etc. on the right of the screen as per the screenshot above.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Clive, I was playing around the other day and still couldn't find it, but I'll have a go with your tip later.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #20
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

It works, many thanks Clive.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #21
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You're welcome I also found out this afternoon how to setup the ConnectedDrive service, which I didn't realise was a standard option. I was able to send a location from Google maps on my laptop to the car to use as a Nav destination Very pleased with that. Also saved a copy of my profile to the BMW Online service and updated the map to the 2016-2 version. That took a while as it was about 22GB to download, transfer to USB and then copy off USB to the car!
Appreciate 0