BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 Disappointments

07-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
wmichaelis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 xDrive28i

F48 Disappointments

Howdy, all. I just joined the BMW family this past Friday, when I picked up my 2016 X1. I got it in Mediterranean Blue, with the beige dakota leather interior, and the Premium, Luxury, Cold Weather, Drivers Assistance and Technology packages installed.

I love the way it looks, and the way it handles. I find it more comfortable than to '15 Jetta TDI SE it replaced (don't ask...), I love the seat memory, all in all, I'm over the moon with this purchase.

BUT...

There are two things that are a little bothersome. I read a thread on here a while back, where it looks like a couple of people figured out that the Radio/NAV system doesn't have an internal hard drive. Having looked it up in the 08_F48 Information and Communication technical training doc, right there on page 6 it shows that there's only 32GB of flash memory (boo!). My salesman didn't even know that - he was telling me about ripping CDs to the drive, which I'd have loved to have been able to do. That's kind of a bummer. Has anyone replaced the SD card with something bigger, or figured out a way to hack in the ability to rip/copy to internal storage? A 256GB SD card can be had for $80, why on earth would they cheap out here? On a "Technology" package, no less?

The second is a minor annoyance, and it comes from BMW USA's accessories site (http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...s/default.aspx). I didn't think to get the snap-in adapter for my phone when I picked up my car, and when I look under the personal electronics accessories, if I pick my X1...nada. I know it takes the snap in adapter, because I have the blank in the armrest. Does anyone know where I can find one that will fit?

Thanks in advance. Besides those minor annoyances, I'm looking forward to being a BMW driver for a long time to come.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
CommanderChange
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, 6MT, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmichaelis View Post
Howdy, all. I just joined the BMW family this past Friday, when I picked up my 2016 X1. I got it in Mediterranean Blue, with the beige dakota leather interior, and the Premium, Luxury, Cold Weather, Drivers Assistance and Technology packages installed.

I love the way it looks, and the way it handles. I find it more comfortable than to '15 Jetta TDI SE it replaced (don't ask...), I love the seat memory, all in all, I'm over the moon with this purchase.

BUT...

There are two things that are a little bothersome. I read a thread on here a while back, where it looks like a couple of people figured out that the Radio/NAV system doesn't have an internal hard drive. Having looked it up in the 08_F48 Information and Communication technical training doc, right there on page 6 it shows that there's only 32GB of flash memory (boo!). My salesman didn't even know that - he was telling me about ripping CDs to the drive, which I'd have loved to have been able to do. That's kind of a bummer. Has anyone replaced the SD card with something bigger, or figured out a way to hack in the ability to rip/copy to internal storage? A 256GB SD card can be had for $80, why on earth would they cheap out here? On a "Technology" package, no less?

The second is a minor annoyance, and it comes from BMW USA's accessories site (http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...s/default.aspx). I didn't think to get the snap-in adapter for my phone when I picked up my car, and when I look under the personal electronics accessories, if I pick my X1...nada. I know it takes the snap in adapter, because I have the blank in the armrest. Does anyone know where I can find one that will fit?

Thanks in advance. Besides those minor annoyances, I'm looking forward to being a BMW driver for a long time to come.
Congrats on the purchase! I would say that depending on the amount of songs/quality of tracks that you intend to rip, 32GB is actually quite a decent size. I remember a 30GB iPod back in the day held something like 7500 songs. I can't imagine sitting in the car ripping all day with CDs

Secondly, I believe that the car has to be ordered with the Enhanced Bluetooth option for the cradle to be used in the center console.

Hope this helps a bit.

It's a great car! Have fun!
      07-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmichaelis View Post
. . . the Radio/NAV system doesn't have an internal hard drive. Having looked it up in the 08_F48 Information and Communication technical training doc, right there on page 6 it shows that there's only 32GB of flash memory (boo!). My salesman didn't even know that - he was telling me about ripping CDs to the drive, which I'd have loved to have been able to do. That's kind of a bummer. Has anyone replaced the SD card with something bigger, or figured out a way to hack in the ability to rip/copy to internal storage?
You don't need the internal hard drive at all -- just rip your CDs onto a thumb drive! This has the big added benefit that you can rip to lossless formats such as WAV files. The internal hard drive has significant format limitations.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
You don't need the internal hard drive at all -- just rip your CDs onto a thumb drive! This has the big added benefit that you can rip to lossless formats such as WAV files. The internal hard drive has significant format limitations.
Agree totally, flash drive/phone storage is the way to go. Lots of new cars don't have a CD player at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Most manufacturers are now opting out of inbuilt drives, as existing systems were susceptible to damage over time and that you can now buy up to 512GB SSD USB drives that just plug into the USB port.

I am not sure why you would need the internal hard drive now, as you should be able to use either your IPhone via Bluetooth to access all your songs stored on it, or as suggested by the others, just use the USB port in the center console to connect a USB thumb or SSD USB drive.
I have 'Media' selected on mine so that as soon as I get in my music on the IPhone is up and running and you just use the steering wheel controls to change songs or options. The song list comes up on the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I bought three of the tiny Sandisk USB thumb drives and some small coloured lanyards from eBay to use as different music sources depending on the mood

There's always the option to stream music from your phone via Bluetooth too; I've not got the Enhanced Bluetooth option (yet... ) but even the standard system lets you do this.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmichaelis;20274532

The second is a minor annoyance, and it comes from BMW USA's accessories site ([url
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/accessories/default.aspx[/url]). I didn't think to get the snap-in adapter for my phone when I picked up my car, and when I look under the personal electronics accessories, if I pick my X1...nada. I know it takes the snap in adapter, because I have the blank in the armrest. Does anyone know where I can find one that will fit?

Regarding your question on snap-in adapter, I see that BMW right now only has the snap-in adapter for F48 X1 for Android phones only ... I guess you have an iPhone?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Alright. I just have to ask... What does a +£150 BMW snap-in adapter offer that a £4.99 USB or Lightning cable doesn't? I never understood the need for these things. Do they offer any additional benefits at all? Because as far as I know, without Enhanced Bluetooth option (6NS), the adapter is nothing but an overpriced cradle. If you have Enhanced Bluetooth (I'm not familiar with the US packaged options), then the cradle should be included.

And as others have pointed out, iPods, steaming and dirt cheap memory sticks make in-built hard disks redundant. Having said that, ONE USB port in a 2016 car is quite pathetic.

Last edited by KPD; 07-22-2016 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #9
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Alright. I just have to ask... What does a +£150 BMW snap-in adapter offer that a £4.99 USB or Lightning cable doesn't? I never understood the need for these things. Do they offer any additional benefits at all? Because as far as I know, without Enhanced Bluetooth option (6NS), the adapter is nothing but an overpriced cradle. If you have Enhanced Bluetooth (I'm not familiar with the US packaged options), then the cradle should be included.

And as others have pointed out, iPods, steaming and dirt cheap memory sticks make in-built hard disks redundant. Having said that, ONE USB port in a 2016 car is quite pathetic.
Because of BMW's tight-fisted single USB port. I have the cradle so I can charge the phone and leave a USB drive for audio in the USB port.

My journeys average 4 hours so I need phone charging.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjjj View Post
Regarding your question on snap-in adapter, I see that BMW right now only has the snap-in adapter for F48 X1 for Android phones only ... I guess you have an iPhone?
Buy the micro-usb universal snap-in adapter, then for apple devices get a micro-usb -> lightning adapter.

Now you can charge / use both worlds of joy.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

To get around the missing power outlet in the armrest I've just run a 6ft Lightning cable from a USB adapter in the hidden 12v socket in the footwell, tucked in along and under the centre console edge and popping up next to the passenger seatbelt socket into the armrest. It's a dark grey braided cable from Anker and helpfully has a little velcro strap on it that allowed me to fix it to the soft material on the back of the seatbelt socket. It's invisible apart from the last couple of inches where it hangs over the passenger side of the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL View Post
Because of BMW's tight-fisted single USB port. I have the cradle so I can charge the phone and leave a USB drive for audio in the USB port.

I see. So you have a different music source than your phone. The USB is fortunately powerful enough to charge larger phones and even tablets. This is very useful for owners that have their music on their phones like myself. But if the USB port is taken by a thumb drive or card reader... Then that's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #13
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post

You can tap into the back of the stereo to utilise the 2nd USB. Can find the link that chap on the 3 series section posted a how to if you like? Very neat mod
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #14
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
You can tap into the back of the stereo to utilise the 2nd USB. Can find the link that chap on the 3 series section posted a how to if you like? Very neat mod
Here you go : Add 2nd USB
      07-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #15
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD

Some cradles provide mobile signal attenuation via the car's antenna. However, it is cradle dependent and I haven't bothered to check what choices are offered for which phones currently. There certainly was an iPhone 5 cradle that provided this.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 03:54 AM   #16
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Interesting, it looks like the F48 gets a cheaper version of the 8.8" iDrive system called "Navigation Plus" with option code 6UP. It has the same head unit as the 6.5" Navigation Business system, just with the bigger 8.8" screen and touch controller.

On all other BMW models, the 8.8" (or 10.2") iDrive system is "Navigation Professional" with option code 609. The Navigation Professional system is the one with the built in hard drive with media import/storage capability. I'm not sure what the other differences are, possibly slower CPU and less RAM?

That explains why the 2017 F48 doesn't get the iDrive 5.0 update like the rest of the lineup...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 06:52 AM   #17
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
On all other BMW models, the 8.8" (or 10.2") iDrive system is "Navigation Professional" with option code 609. The Navigation Professional system is the one with the built in hard drive with media import/storage capability.
Navigation Professional with built in hard-drive? Maybe a bit out of date?

For example, this is from the description (from the BMW configurator) of the Navigation Professional system for the X5 :
"The system comprises the handsfree facility with USB interface and voice control, BMW Professional radio with DVD drive, as well as a 20 GB memory for audio files."

Same goes for the X3 & 7-Series ...and maybe all the others (I can't be bothered to check them all !)
No hard-drive.

As already stated in this thread, a car is not a suitable environment for hard drives - hence they are being replaced with memory chips.

Last edited by MrTracey; 07-24-2016 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #18
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTracey View Post
Navigation Professional with built in hard-drive? Maybe a bit out of date?

For example, this is from the description (from the BMW configurator) of the Navigation Professional system for the X5 :
"The system comprises the handsfree facility with USB interface and voice control, BMW Professional radio with DVD drive, as well as a 20 GB memory for audio files."

Same goes for the X3 & 7-Series ...and maybe all the others (I can't be bothered to check them all !)
No hard-drive.

As already stated in this thread, a car is not a suitable environment for hard drives - hence they are being replaced with memory chips.
The 2009-2013 CIC unit had a built in hard drive that is 80gb and partitioned to allow 12gb for user music storage.

The 2012-2015 NBT unit indeed still has a built in hard drive. It's 200gb and partitioned to allow 20gb for user music storage.

There is not much documentation on the hardware differences of the 2016 and up NBT EVO unit, but it most likely still uses an internal drive. Perhaps they have moved to to an SSD instead of an HDD?

It's also believed that the 2017 iDrive 5.0 still runs on the same NBT EVO hardware, and that current 2016 models with the NBT EVO head unit may get a software update to iDrive 5.0.

Automotive technology, especially infotainment, is notoriously slow for adapting new technologies. Flash storage or SSD definitely is less prone to damage than a mechanical hard drive, but hard drive read and write is still faster than flash memory cards (eg SD cards) due to the card reader interface, and HDD are still cheaper than an SSD. Note that these are specific HDDs engineered to withstand the high temperatures and high shock of an automotive application, not just your off the shelf computer HDD.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #19
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Note that these are specific HDDs engineered to withstand the high temperatures and high shock of an automotive application, not just your off the shelf computer HDD.
Which probably made them a lot more expensive than SD cards, which is why they're no longer used.
      07-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #20
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTracey View Post
Which probably made them a lot more expensive than SD cards, which is why they're no longer used.
Only basic navigation and infotainment systems use SD card for data.

Most high end systems are hard drive based, and yes usually still a mechanical spinning hard drive. This includes BMW's Navigation Professional CIC and newer, Audi MMI 3G and newer, Mercedes COMAND NTG3 and newer.

The SD card interface is too slow for all the 3D mapping, satellite imagery, and advanced voice recognition of high end systems. I wouldn't be surprised if current gen units from the last year or two are using SSDs now, but SSDs are still quite a bit more expensive than HDD.

And although SSD and SD memory cards are both technically utilizing flash storage, it's an important distinction to make because SSDs are much faster and use a faster IDE or SATA hard drive interface instead of a card reader interface.

It remains to be seen exactly what type of storage is used by the unit in the F48. The F48 training document has an illustration of an SD card to break down the partitions, so it may by an internal or embedded SD card. It appears to be a version of the HU_ENTRYNAV unit used in the F2x/F3x but with the CD drive removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #21
wmichaelis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 xDrive28i

VTECaddict, I pulled that same manual, which does make it look like an internal SD card. I haven't gotten brave enough to yank the radio out to see for myself...yet.

All the same, even with 20GB free, it's a moot point, because there is no option to save to it anyway. The older hard drive based units were using 4200RPM Parallel ATA hard drives - *very* old technology. The lower speed would help in a bump and jar kind of environment like a car, but SSD is a better answer - and I found plenty of posts of people swapping in PATA SSD's with better access times and a more responsive experience. The disappointment to me, as a tech nerd, is to think if you're going to change what you're doing, you'd hope that they'd go with a better memory. If you must use SD, again, 256GB cards can be found retail for $70...make them easy to swap and give us some capacity!

For those wondering why I don't just connect my phone (I'm an Android guy, and the BMW genius was able to point me to the universal adapter, finally), there is exactly one port (not counting the one behind the radio, which looks like it runs the snap in adapter anyway). I don't mind pairing my phone, but I like the utility of both pairing/charging my phone (which uses the USB port since I don't yet have the snap in adapter), and swapping out USB keys with different playlists, audiobooks, etc.

Personally, I'd have loved storage that is "permanent" to the car. I'm just bummed out that it's gone. It just feels like a step backward.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #22
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I don't get it either, all I want is three USB ports in the back and three in the front...
Appreciate 0