BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 X1 glovebox removal

07-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
gambcl
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Question F48 X1 glovebox removal

My front 12v power socket (near the cupholders) isn't giving any power, so I have been testing the fuses before I take it to the dealer to sort out.

Like a complete doofus I managed to drop a fuse whilst trying to re-insert it into the fusebox, which is found at the back of the glovebox. I'll replace the fuse but I would still like to get the old one out of there somehow.

It fell kind of underneath the floor of the glovebox, or maybe under the fusebox, either way I can't reach it without taking out the glovebox.

Has anyone tried removing the glovebox in the F48 X1 yet? I tried taking out a few screws but it still didn't want to come out and I didn't want to force it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
gambcl
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

FYI, didn't need to remove the whole glovebox in the end. I found that the narrow horizontal plastic trim under the front edge of the glovebox just pops off and gives access to the cavity just under the floor of the glovebox. Missing fuse located and re-installed.

Still didn't fix my original issue though, going to have to get the dealer to investigate why I have no power through the front power socket, fuses seem fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 01:15 AM   #3
777kenny
Rep
Drives: X1(F48) sDrive20i

I thought my front cup holder 12v power socket has no power too. I have this little 2 ports USB adapter, it works in all sockets except the front one. Sent my car in to the dealer. They found that there is indeed power for the front socket, so probably my USB adapter is not contacting it well. Haven't got a chance to try plugging in other things to try out yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777kenny View Post
I thought my front cup holder 12v power socket has no power too. I have this little 2 ports USB adapter, it works in all sockets except the front one. Sent my car in to the dealer. They found that there is indeed power for the front socket, so probably my USB adapter is not contacting it well. Haven't got a chance to try plugging in other things to try out yet.
I'm having the same problem, adapter needs to be pushed in hard to work, it then works for a few seconds then stops. Works perfectly in passenger and rear sockets.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

Does anyone know which fuse is for the power sockets (aka cigarette lighters)? All three sockets in the car (cupholder, rear console, and boot) don't seem to be working (a son had to charge his phone via the USB while the wife waited for her turn).

Initially worried that the charger plug was busted but, upon arriving home, tested it in the other car and it was ok.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Phaeton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
My F48 also doesnt provide power from the socket behind the cupholders. The "hidden" 12v below the glove box works great, as does the rear passenger socket.

I guess BMW is using a different style socket from the others in the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
Smokingsig
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

I have the exact same issue. Plug works for couple seconds and then it stops
Just bought a new (longer) one but it doesnt work at all. Seems like a manufacturing issue? Someone fixed it?
Appreciate 0