BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) EDC/DDC in Sport Mode

07-27-2016, 05:35 AM   #1
thespido
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20D M Sport

Question EDC/DDC in Sport Mode

I'm still working on the spec for my X1...

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to disable EDC in Sport Mode via idrive? When I'm driving on the motorway I'd like to enable sport mode for the throttle response but not engage the sport suspension, and then enable the sport suspension for non-motorway driving.

The user manual section for the Drive Experience switch suggests that Sport mode can be configured but doesn't specify which parameters can be configured.

From what I've read so far, the EDC doesn't have any effect in Comfort mode. Is that correct?

Does anyone have any comments on whether EDC is worth adding? I'm probably going to go for the M-Sport with 18" non-RFTs if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Correct. Drivetrain and chassis settings in Sport mode are independent.

Again, correct. Chassis setting in Comfort/Eco Pro cannot be changed.

Whether it's worth it or not, depends on what you expect from it and also where you live. I have 18" + RFTs + EDC. The change in stiffer setting is very noticeable and turns the X1 into a feisty little hatchback almost. But that's just on decent roads. On the other 95% shitty roads here in Surrey, I feel that the stiff setting is a little too much. If you're going with regular tyres, it might not be that bad though.

I'm not sure if you mean M-Sport suspension or M-Sport model. If M-Sport suspension, it's as stiff as EDC in Sport mode AND it has 1cm less playroom. And of course, it's not adjustable. Just one stiff setting. Not at all recommended if you want a relax drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #3
thespido
United Kingdom
Rep

I live just over the border from you in Hampshire so the roads will be pretty similar, including a rather rumbly concrete stretch on the M27.

The original plan was to go with the M-Sport model with M-Sport suspension. I've considered removing the M-Sport suspension, for the reasons you've mentioned, and adding EDC to give me a stiffer suspension when required in Sport mode.

How easy is it to enable/disable EDC for Sport mode in the idrive console? Is it just a toggle that can be configured for easy access using a 'favourite' button? (It's my first encounter with BMW so please excuse the basic questions).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespido View Post
How easy is it to enable/disable EDC for Sport mode in the idrive console? Is it just a toggle that can be configured for easy access using a 'favourite' button? (It's my first encounter with BMW so please excuse the basic questions).
It's literally one flick of a switch. You can change the Sport mode setting in iDrive to chassis AND drivetrain (default), chassis only or drivetrain only. Once you've done that, Drive Experience rocker switch next to the gear lever changes everything on the go without the need to go through iDrive menus again.

If you can fit it in your budget, I would definitely recommend replacing M-Sport suspension with EDC. If not, get rid of it and order the regular suspension. M-Sport suspension really isn't made for our roads.

Last edited by KPD; 07-27-2016 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
thespido
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

EDC here I come! Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 1
KPD171.00
      07-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
ScottishX1
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16 X1 F48 25D M-Sport Estoril

Garage List
I'm pretty sure in the UK its a choice, either the msport suspension or the EDC which is effectively both using sport mode in iDrive to switch, i did this and even with the 19" wheels its very smooth in comfort and noticeably stiffer in sport and you don't loose the 10mm ground clearence too.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishX1 View Post
I'm pretty sure in the UK its a choice, either the msport suspension or the EDC which is effectively both using sport mode in iDrive to switch, i did this and even with the 19" wheels its very smooth in comfort and noticeably stiffer in sport and you don't loose the 10mm ground clearence too.
EDC is an extra in all markets, not just in the UK.

Costs £390 if you're buying SE, Sport and XLine trims and £150 if you're buying the M-Sport. That's because it replaces the M-Sport suspension which is standard (£240 in SE, Sport and XLine). thespido is buying an M-Sport. It's a great bargain for £150.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #8
ScottishX1
Private
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
EDC is an extra in all markets, not just in the UK.

Costs £390 if you're buying SE, Sport and XLine trims and £150 if you're buying the M-Sport. That's because it replaces the M-Sport suspension which is standard (£240 in SE, Sport and XLine). thespido is buying an M-Sport. It's a great bargain for £150.
Agreed, best of both worlds, comfort for everyday use and sport when you want to give it a blast on a country road....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #9
ScottishX1
Private
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone tried the hill decent control yet? just wondering how good it is and what use it is?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 05:18 AM   #10
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishX1 View Post
Has anyone tried the hill decent control yet? just wondering how good it is and what use it is?
Tried it a couple of times. A bit of an overkill for multi-story parking lots, etc. But might come in handy if... well... if you're going down a hill!!

Here's a demo:

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #11
thespido
United Kingdom
Rep

This thread has been forked regarding the possibilty of M-Sport suspension deletion and addition of EDC/DDC: http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0#post20334090
Appreciate 0