BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Taking delivery, first drive and upgrades!

08-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Taking delivery, first drive and upgrades!

This past Saturday I finally took delivery of my Alpine White 2016 BMW X1! 2 months was quite the wait, but it proved to be worth it! As requested, the dealer didn't do an exterior wash or drill holes in the front bumper which made me extremely happy!

I was surprised to find out that the vehicle had no break in period, however I will definitely be holding off on driving hard for at least 1000kms. Since my dealer was 200kms away from my house, I had a nice chance to get acquainted with the vehicle.

Some initial gripes I had were few and personal. I found the iDrive menu to be quite tedious to operate, especially trying to get to the radio menu. The finance manager told me that XM was included free for 12 months in every BMW, but I couldnt seem to find the setting... possibly might have to get this coded? Eco Pro mode worked really well but at times, even with Auto Start Stop active, the engine wouldnt shut off. On the highway with this mode activated, I read somewhere that the engine would shut off to conserve fuel over 80km/h, but I didnt notice this either I also found the ride a little harsh with the 19inch wheels and sport tires, but I think that's a small sacrifice for the looks and performance they deliver!

The same evening I returned from taking delivery, I took the car straight to my detailer (Get Detailed in Toronto) to get film installed! Here's what the X1 received:

Full wash and Decontamination to get rid of any contaminants and iron that may have resulted from transportation

Wrapped Full Hood, Front/Rear Bumper and door handle pockets in Xpel Ultimate Film

Tinted the Fog Lights and Tail Lights in Light Smoke using Lamin-X Film
(Headlights coming soon...since we ran out of film) See pictures for before and after!

Coated the film with Ceramic Pro, making it easier to clean and keeping it looking glossy and new for years to come. Coated interior surfaces and carpets with Ceramic Pro Textile and Leather.

Overall, I'm ecstatic with how everything came together. The tint looks perfect on the lights and I'm relieved to have the film on in order to protect the paint.

Upcoming upgrades include tinted headlights, 20% front tinted windows, a US Mill side mount license plate mount, Black Vue 2 Channel Dash Cam install and 7500k Fog Lights!

Find more photos on my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ysauto...57670804884970
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Congrats on your new ride! In regards to your XM, you should be able to hit your radio button on your idrive controller until you see a screen that shows am and fm. Satellite radio will show up underneath that. For future reference, every subsequent press of one of your 4 option buttons is like a back button. It will back you further out with each press. Hope this helps and enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
cangenBMW
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Last edited by cangenBMW; 10-14-2016 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 05:25 AM   #4
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I don't know if it's just me, but none of the pictures are loading sadly

Regarding Eco Pro, it will "coast" by completely disengaging the engine from the gearbox to save fuel, but it won't ever shut off the engine when you're moving. The Auto Start-Stop only happens when you're stationary.

I've always found the iDrive to be fairly intuitive, and the buttons around the control knob make access to Radio, Telephone, Nav etc. only ever a single push away.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 05:39 AM   #5
twigs972
Rep
Drives: VW Tiguan

Clive, you're not the only one the pictures aren't loading for me either.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
nickmdp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda X1 View Post
I was surprised to find out that the vehicle had no break in period, however I will definitely be holding off on driving hard for at least 1000kms. Since my dealer was 200kms away from my house, I had a nice chance to get acquainted with the vehicle.
Not sure where you got that information, but the owner's manual definitely states that there is a break-in period for the X1. I'm guessing it was a sales guy that didn't know any better.

From the manual here:
Up to 2000 km, 1200 miles
Do not exceed the maximum engine revs and
speed:
▷ With petrol engines, 4500 rpm and
160 km/h, approximately 100 mph.

Edit: Also not seeing the pictures as others mention

Last edited by nickmdp; 08-02-2016 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: pictures not working for me either.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
cangenBMW
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but none of the pictures are loading sadly

I've always found the iDrive to be fairly intuitive, and the buttons around the control knob make access to Radio, Telephone, Nav etc. only ever a single push away.
Since he doesn't have the Premium Enhanced package (Canada) his iDrive is the more basic version with just "audio" and "telephone" buttons. Pushing Audio a few times will cycle through radio and multimedia modes.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cangenBMW View Post
Since he doesn't have the Premium Enhanced package (Canada) his iDrive is the more basic version with just "audio" and "telephone" buttons. Pushing Audio a few times will cycle through radio and multimedia modes.
Ah, ok. I didn't realise that there was a cut-down version of the controller. I've just been digging through the parts catalogue after seeing your reply and I can see one with only 3 buttons on the top row (Audio, Menu, Tel) that's used in the 2 series. That sucks

The controllers appear to have the same dimensions. I wonder if it's possible to retrofit the one with the extra buttons?
Appreciate 0