BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Greetings from Chattanooga, TN USA

08-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Phaeton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Greetings from Chattanooga, TN USA

Hey Folks,

After lurking a bit and waiting on my account to be activated, I'm now able to post and say hello.

I had a budget for a new car purchase (below USD$40k) and purchased off the lot a 2016 X1 xDrive28i in Alpine white. Only options (to remain in budget) are Navigation Business, Brush Aluminum Accents and cold weather package.

I was surprised to find that Sirius is not standard. I have purchased an activation code and will be activating that tomorrow with a vendor from California. I'm very pleased with the ConnectedDrive apps integration as I have Spotify Premium and enjoy doing everything on the car. I notice that Bluetooth becomes available VERY quick upon car start.

I'm also surprised that BMW is adding safety features like rearview camera to premium packages. The X1 has a few blindspots. My last car didn't have a camera so I'm used to be extra careful in reverse.

I was surprised that the automatic tailgate was standard as was dual zone climate control, yet again things like satellite radio and backup camera were not. Seems odd. Playing devil's advocate, I guess at a $36K price point, they have to save money somewhere.

Engine with 8 speed transmission is smooth, although I notice some abrupt shifts from 2 to 1. I have turned off start/stop.

Due to some lofty sales goals at my dealer, I was able to negotiate 3 free tanks of fuel, and a full set of all-weather mats (including cargo).

My car obviously doesn't have the pano roof, which is something that I actually like. I would have liked to have the sport seat option. The seat bottoms in their round appearance seem to be mismatched to the car. Once again, something like lumbar support should have been standard, but the seats (for me) are serviceable.

I do like the ambient lighting in the doors. I have found that the 12v in the cup holder area doesn't seem to work, but the hidden 12v in the passenger footwell, center storage and rear seat all work (using same plug). Not sure if the one in the cupholder area is inoperative or is deeper than the others.

I'm really impressed with the fuel economy (coming from a Jeep Wrangler) and after several weeks of commuting, am almost ready to get my first free tank of fuel.

I was also surprised that the voice control button on my steering wheel doesn't seem to "do" anything. I do not get any audible feedback when pressing it, however once when I had my mobile open, Hey Siri responded via my car speakers. I'm not sure if voice control is supposed to work with Business Navigation or not.

Kinda bummed about not having halo LED driving lights, but instead I have LEDs that appear just below the halogen bulbs in the headlamp. The only LEDs other than that appear to be the license plate lights.

All in all, liking the car and happy to meet you all.

Eric

Last edited by Phaeton; 08-08-2016 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
ScottishX1
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16 X1 F48 25D M-Sport Estoril

Garage List
Sounds good Eric, i guess the different packages also have different items inside depending on your country too. Despite the missing toys (some things can be coded afterwards) i'm sure you will enjoy the car very much, i too had to avoid certain options to keep in budget but overall i'm very happy with my purchase too. You will need to add some pics to the forum too

Enjoy and welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Phaeton,

Congrats on your new ride. We are not too far apart. I am in Atlanta and come through Chattanooga every few months. From what you wrote about your car, my guess is that you do not have the prefosseional navigation (larger screen) which explains why you don't have voice activation.

Enjoy your new ride and welcome the forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Hey Folks,

I'm also surprised that BMW is adding safety features like rearview camera to premium packages. The X1 has a few blindspots. My last car didn't have a camera so I'm used to be extra careful in reverse.

I was surprised that the automatic tailgate was standard as was dual zone climate control, yet again things like satellite radio and backup camera were not. Seems odd. Playing devil's advocate, I guess at a $36K price point, they have to save money somewhere.

My car obviously doesn't have the pano roof, which is something that I actually like. I would have liked to have the sport seat option. The seat bottoms in their round appearance seem to be mismatched to the car. Once again, something like lumbar support should have been standard, but the seats (for me) are serviceable.

I do like the ambient lighting in the doors. I have found that the 12v in the cup holder area doesn't seem to work, but the hidden 12v in the passenger footwell, center storage and rear seat all work (using same plug). Not sure if the one in the cupholder area is inoperative or is deeper than the others.

I'm really impressed with the fuel economy (coming from a Jeep Wrangler) and after several weeks of commuting, am almost ready to get my first free tank of fuel.

I was also surprised that the voice control button on my steering wheel doesn't seem to "do" anything. I do not get any audible feedback when pressing it, however once when I had my mobile open, Hey Siri responded via my car speakers. I'm not sure if voice control is supposed to work with Business Navigation or not.

Kinda bummed about not having halo LED driving lights, but instead I have LEDs that appear just below the halogen bulbs in the headlamp. The only LEDs other than that appear to be the license plate lights.

All in all, liking the car and happy to meet you all.

Eric
Congrats on your car! Hope you will continue enjoying the car as much as I am!

I agree with you on the rear-view camera still being an option, but that apparently is the case for MB and Audi as well. BMW will make the camera standard in 2018 when it is mandatory to have rear-view camera in all new cars...

I would have your 12v in the cup holder checked by the dealer to make sure it's not defective. It is the only one I have used so far... Maybe I should check all of them in my car as well to make sure they are working...

Sport seats only became available as a stand-alone option in 2017... I wish they had sport seats option available for 2016.. Even though I think the standard seats are "serviceable" as well, I would appreciate the better thigh support provided by the optional sport seats.

For voice control you would have needed to get the "Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration" option. Navigation Business does not come with voice-control.

Enjoy your car!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0