E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > N57 330d LCI BG Inlet clean and swirl flaps removed

09-03-2016, 05:57 AM   #1
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

N57 330d LCI BG Inlet clean and swirl flaps removed

I have a 330d LCI with the N57 engine currently on 79k and have just picked the car up after having a host of work done.

Fuel filter and pre-heater replaced (OEM Parts)
Oil and filter changed (Castrol LL04 and OEM filter)
1 Glow Plug and Glow Plug relay changed (Bosch glow plug and OEM controller)
Rear Differential oil changed (Castrol)
Replace front drop links (Lemforder)
Coolant flushed and changed (not yet complete as the EGR is leaking)

As I knew I was having a lot done and the inlet was off due to the glow plug and controller; I started to look into swirl flap removal. I bought a replacement manifold and removed the flaps and thoroughly cleaned the manifold. See separate thread; http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1296453

I then started to think about a walnut blast as again the inlet would be off. I dropped my mechanic a message enquiring about this and he said he used the BG Intake Cleaning system along with an oil flush additive. I did some reading and all looked positive.

He said as the inlet was off he'd manually clean what he could and then use the BG setup. As the inlet was spotless; the treatment could do all of its work on the intake ports.

Having picked the car up and driven about 20 miles; it's definitely much smoother which will be aided by the rear diff oil being changed which in my mechanic; Den's words "Was properly fucked" and also the lack of knocking as a result of the drop links being changed.

The idle is quieter and the car feels more muscular in the mid range in particular. Being remapped; it's really punchy anyway but in certainly feels like it picks up quicker and has a little more oomph.

MPG has dropped from 39.7 to 35 at present but I've only done 3 shortish trips covering about 20 miles and I've been nailing it on the motorway.

I've reset all engine adaptations today and I'll keep tabs on MPG as I do some longer runs next week.

All in a productive couple of days work and the BG clean and swirl flap removal seem really positive.

Big thanks to Den at Analyse Vehicle Diagnostics in Ossett for a top job and a great price.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
How much did you pay for the pre heater? Had a fault codes on mine for last few years lol
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Sounds good, glad it has made a positive impact. I have got a single glow plug error on my N57 but I'm thinking of leaving it for the moment as I can't feel any negative.

Also, dirty was your original manifold when you removed it?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
Len_Beach
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymarky
How much did you pay for the pre heater? Had a fault codes on mine for last few years lol
I bought a second hand one on eBay Buddy. I'm sure it was only about £20. A genuine item was around £100 from memory.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #5
Len_Beach
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d
Sounds good, glad it has made a positive impact. I have got a single glow plug error on my N57 but I'm thinking of leaving it for the moment as I can't feel any negative.

Also, dirty was your original manifold when you removed it?
Keep tabs on your codes as I believe glow plug errors can prevent regens so you might see a 480A then a 481A error.

This is the replacement manifold I cleaned up which is very similar to how grubby mine was.

My manifold had a particularly thick oily build up where the EGR ducting enters the inlet. This was probably around 10mm thick at points. It's currently soaking in Tardis in the garage!

I reduced EGR opening to the minimum in Rheingold a few weeks ago and I've also bought a catch can I'm installing so hopefully I'll avoid a repeat of this.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
Len_Beach
Major
Rep

My replacement manifold before cleaning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0