E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > squealing and rough idle

10-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

squealing and rough idle

So as of a few months ago when I start my car to leave to work or leave home from work there will be a squealing when I am stopped at a light or low rpms. There is also a slightly rough idle where rpms drop from 600 to 500 causing a slight shake in the car.

This does not happen all the time, maybe once every week or week and a half.

I recently changed the spark plugs this past weekend (has been happening before this).

Today at the stoplight it was happening and I turned the car off and back on and it went away for the rest of the drive.

The rough idle only happens in combination with the squealing.

Any ideas what this could be?

I was researching about the PCV valve but would like some other areas to check before spending $350 for a valve cover.

Thanks
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

I have the same exact problem!! Mine used to dip to 500 and vibrated badly which I solved by cleaning the vanos solenoids. It won't dip below 600 anymore but will still sometimes run rough and cause slight vibration. I pinpointed my noise to the exhaust. It comes from around where the headers meet the mid pipe but not exactly. When you're idling, check under the car to see if you hear it better. I went through some exhaust set ups which affected this.

128i and 135i come with a large rubber vibration dampenener on the muffler, which you're supposed to move over to the PE that I forgot and never did. Stock headers also have a vibration dampener.

Stock headers + PE exhaust (no vibration dampener) = no squeal
AA headers + PE exhaust (no vibration dampener) = squeal
AA headers + AA exhaust = squeal
AA Headers + 135i exhaust (with vibration dampener) = no squeal

So I know it's from idle vibrations shaking the exhaust, but I'm not sure what exactly is making it squeal. That's about all my detective work so far

Last edited by Suhb; 10-04-2016 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
F22_Raptor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I have the same problem. Turned out to be the Eccentric Shaft sensor
      10-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
bmw201113
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i coupe

Vanos related in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Happened again today and I tried to open the engine oil cap and could not open it while idling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22_Raptor View Post
I have the same problem. Turned out to be the Eccentric Shaft sensor
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Dont believe it is exhaust related, showing symptoms of the PCV valve. Squealing this morning and tried to open the engine oil cap and was not able to due to the vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhb View Post
I have the same exact problem!! Mine used to dip to 500 and vibrated badly which I solved by cleaning the vanos solenoids. It won't dip below 600 anymore but will still sometimes run rough and cause slight vibration. I pinpointed my noise to the exhaust. It comes from around where the headers meet the mid pipe but not exactly. When you're idling, check under the car to see if you hear it better. I went through some exhaust set ups which affected this.

128i and 135i come with a large rubber vibration dampenener on the muffler, which you're supposed to move over to the PE that I forgot and never did. Stock headers also have a vibration dampener.

Stock headers + PE exhaust (no vibration dampener) = no squeal
AA headers + PE exhaust (no vibration dampener) = squeal
AA headers + AA exhaust = squeal
AA Headers + 135i exhaust (with vibration dampener) = no squeal

So I know it's from idle vibrations shaking the exhaust, but I'm not sure what exactly is making it squeal. That's about all my detective work so far
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Check vanos solenoids. Prob need to replace them
1st Bimmer - 2007 328xi | SGM | e90 | Premium | Navi | Gloss black trim | Cold | AA headers | 3 stage intake manifold | AA stage 3 tune | AFE stage 2 intake | Cyba Scoops | OEM Blacklines | OEM LCI mtech front bumper | OEM LCI hood | OEM gloss black kidney grills | Orion v4 LED halos with blackout headlights | Valentine 1 Radar | Sport wheel with paddles | kw v1 coilovers | VMR 710 | Continental ExtremeContact DW |
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #8
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGazis109
I'll be doing that tonight. Ill update later
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #9
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Images from tonight. Not entirely sure what i am looking at, so not sure if they are bad or not.

Also pulled out the plug on the eccentric shaft sensor to see if there was any oil inside and there was not

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGazis109 View Post
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 05:04 AM   #10
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Don't think it's anything to do with Vanos. Inability to remove the oil filler cap at idle is a classic symptom of crankcase breather problems...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #11
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i
Don't think it's anything to do with Vanos. Inability to remove the oil filler cap at idle is a classic symptom of crankcase breather problems...
any particular reason it only occurs about once or twice a week? I figured if the breather valve is messed up it would happen all of the time
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba
Images from tonight. Not entirely sure what i am looking at, so not sure if they are bad or not.

Also pulled out the plug on the eccentric shaft sensor to see if there was any oil inside and there was not

Quote:
I couldn't tell you how bad those vanos solenoids are but I had the same exact symptoms when I was around 140k miles and I replaced the solenoids and then the problems never came back. I would replace the solenoids and see if it goes away. I am now near 200k miles and since replacing the solenoids that problem hasn't started up again
1st Bimmer - 2007 328xi | SGM | e90 | Premium | Navi | Gloss black trim | Cold | AA headers | 3 stage intake manifold | AA stage 3 tune | AFE stage 2 intake | Cyba Scoops | OEM Blacklines | OEM LCI mtech front bumper | OEM LCI hood | OEM gloss black kidney grills | Orion v4 LED halos with blackout headlights | Valentine 1 Radar | Sport wheel with paddles | kw v1 coilovers | VMR 710 | Continental ExtremeContact DW |
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I couldn't tell you how bad those vanos solenoids are but I had the same exact symptoms when I was around 140k miles and I replaced the solenoids and then the problems never came back. I would replace the solenoids and see if it goes away. I am now near 200k miles and since replacing the solenoids that problem hasn't started up again
okay thanks. they're cheap enough to replace. I'd rather try this and hope it works
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
did your symptoms also include the hard to open oil cap?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 04:45 AM   #15
tpmmazo
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 328i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba View Post
did your symptoms also include the hard to open oil cap?
What did you end up doing to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #16
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmazo View Post
What did you end up doing to fix it.
I changed the oil and it squealed once, I shut the car off and back on and it has been good ever since. I now change the oil every 7500-8000 miles instead of the 15k BMW says. My belief is that oil was getting gummed up and keeping the valve open
Appreciate 0