BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Full Drivetrain Power Not Available

10-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
Phinehas
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 - Xdrive28i

Full Drivetrain Power Not Available

Last night I merged interstate traffic and proceeded to accelerate as normal, however, I almost immediately received a warning on the dash and multimedia screen that full drivetrain power was not available. The conditions were wet and it was an uphill section. In addition to the warning light, the car has significantly reduced power, had considerable vibration in the drivetrain under acceleration or even at idle. I clicked the service request, it self diagnosed and sent it to the BMW overlords. The message did into that continued depriving was possible but to drive moderately. I made it home, restarted the car and the same warning and conditions arose.

This morning I got up early to take it into BMW. Started the car and the warning came back on, but as I drove to the dealership it disappeared. I tested it out in different driving modes and pushed it under acceleration...no trace of the problem. Made it to the dealership but they don't have any openings for two weeks! And my case isn't an emergency so I'm out of luck for now.

Anyone got thoughts on what the heck might have happened and if this is a serious issue or not? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

If it were just a warning with no other obvious signs, I'd agree that it's not an emergency and probably... hopefully just an electrical or software glitch. But "reduced power and considerable vibration" do not sound good. If it happened again, take it back to the dealership and insist on getting it fixed ASAP.

I've had a electrical leak in one of my old cars (not a BMW). One of the wiring looms was damaged and the car kept going into limp mode randomly and hesitated on acceleration (sort of like hiccups). Identifying the problem was pain and took three trips to the dealership. The actual fix when they found the cut loom took literally 20 minutes. Car was ready before I got back home from the dealership and I had to turn around and go back!

When you say vibration, was it accompanied by any nasty mechanical noise? Engine vibration or transmission/differential?

Either way, hoping that it's electrical, not mechanical. Might be trickier to trace. But fixing it should be easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
Phinehas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
If it were just a warning with no other obvious signs, I'd agree that it's not an emergency and probably... hopefully just an electrical or software glitch. But "reduced power and considerable vibration" do not sound good. If it happened again, take it back to the dealership and insist on getting it fixed ASAP.

When you say vibration, was it accompanied by any nasty mechanical noise? Engine vibration or transmission/differential?

Either way, hoping that it's electrical, not mechanical. Might be trickier to trace. But fixing it should be easy.
The vibration definitely felt mechanical and based on it being primarily under throttle I think it's sourced in the drivetrain as the message seems to indicate. If it is mechanical it baffles me how it would revert to proper working order today.

I also had a previous car with an electrical wiring harness gremlin that took several times to diagnose so I'm familiar with that kind of ordeal.

This is my first BMW so I'm keeping tabs on my various first impressions. Service guy this morning isn't in the plus column at the moment.

I'll update if anything else happens. Honestly, not sure if I want it to be a definite problem so that I can get it fixed or hope that it doesn't reoccur. If it doesn't resurface I'll always have doubts about the cars reliability.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
This exact same problem happened to me as well after a 200km trip in the rain. As I was proceeding to overtake a vehicle, in Eco Pro mode, the engine lost a considerable amount of power and I got similar warnings, stating "Drivetrain Malfunction, please drive moderately". I immediately pulled off the highway and noted that the car ran very roughly and throttle response was absent. Overall, the entire car was very jittery.

Like you, this is my first BMW and let me tell you, I was extremely disappointed with BMW's roadside assistance and valet service. Very unprofessional and they refused to cover the cost of a rental (because the dealership was closed by the time everything was sorted out with the tow truck). Its disheartening to not be accommodated when after two months of ownership and still under warranty, a $50,000+ car experiences this type of problem.

Anyways, after leaving the car in the dealership for a day, the technicians were unable to reproduce the error, but stated that an injector misfired. If I have to guess the main cause of the problem, I'd say its due to moisture.
Really hoping this does not happen again.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds like the cars went into limp mode.

Hopefully its just a software bug (something like a too sensitive parameter) and it will be fixed or even has been fixed in software updates.

The X1 software is still pretty new and will go through many versions.

To check if it just a transient fault, stop the car and switch it off totally (2 presses of the Start/Stop button).
Wait a few seconds then restart the car.
If the fault does not return quickly it may just be a transient error.

If the warning said do not continue driving, its best not to. But limp mode or sensor faults are often easily cleared with the above.
      01-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
Phinehas
Rep

So, same thing reoccurred with my X1 today except it was a perfectly dry day. Despite multiple restarts and time intervals the problem didn't go away. Scheduled appointment with local BMW for Tuesday, best they would offer. In the meantime I have an X1 with about 40% of normal power.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Sorry to hear
Hope its an easy fix
If the problem is still showing it will have error messages stored so the dealer can quickly trace the problem

Good luck with the wait

Let us know what happens
      01-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Phinehas
Rep

Got the X1 into the dealer this morning and it looks like they'll be keeping it a few days. Apparently, a bad MAP sensor which needs to be replaced. Seems unlikely to cause a drivetrain malfunction, but so be it.

Makes me stop and think though as I added the Dinan unit to the car (took off for today) which could have affected the sensor. The thing is I got this malfunction before I had ever installed that unit so I doubt it was the cause.

Should get the car back on Thursday; will report back if anything of interest is mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Interesting.
There is a thread in the M5 section about DINAN units giving "phantom" problems in the cold weather due to it not letting all signals get through to the DME.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349075