E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Coilovers or Shocks and Springs

10-20-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D XD

Coilovers or Shocks and Springs

Just some advice... I'm looking to overhaul the suspension and it seems coilovers/shocks and springs are roughly the same.
Looking for just general use so nothing fancy, so if anyone has recomendation for anything basic or better than stock that would be great.

Cheers
Gaz
      10-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
hazkirby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

What is your budget?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #3
abeardo83
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I never understand this... you do know that you cars has coilovers on the front, and shocks / springs on the rear, right?

For the money and the hassle, it's easier to go with completed coilovers for the front, rather than buying shocks and springs, and then having to get them built.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazkirby View Post
What is your budget?
Under 500, just a simple upgrade is all I'm looking for. I've seen some for £250, I would be happy with that even is it is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeardo83 View Post
I never understand this... you do know that you cars has coilovers on the front, and shocks / springs on the rear, right?

For the money and the hassle, it's easier to go with completed coilovers for the front, rather than buying shocks and springs, and then having to get them built.
When I think of coilovers, I think of lowering/adjusting the height etc whereas standard springs and shocks (fixed coilovers) are just install and go :/
Haven't looked at suspension before so it is quite new for me.
      10-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
abeardo83
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
You can get the Bilstein B12 setup for about £600 from Demon Tweeks. Really good setup.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
E90325iM-SPORT
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: E90 325i m-sport

Garage List
Coilover if you have budget.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

No one thinks of a coilover as literally coil over damper like the front, and very few aftermarket coilover kits actually change the rear to coil over spring anyway!

Either way, for £500 a spring and damper kit will be better, but you won't be able to adjust height obviously.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWRIN View Post
Just some advice... I'm looking to overhaul the suspension and it seems coilovers/shocks and springs are roughly the same.
Looking for just general use so nothing fancy, so if anyone has recomendation for anything basic or better than stock that would be great.

Cheers
Gaz
I would say buy the suspension that best suits your needs.

Are you happy with the ride height at present or are you looking to lower (and if so a little or a lot)?
Do you want adjustability in the suspension?

I think for normal road use then go with a good spring/damper setup, so B12 or koni/eibach combo etc.

There are coilover kits that can be had for your budget (and have good feedback).

Quote:

Although technically you could refer to the front as being a coilover, the spring actually sits above the damper body whereas coilovers in the aftermarket world refers to an adjustable perch spring that sits round the body of the damper.
Rears still remain separate too.

Never seen a completely built aftermarket kit that can just be bolted in place as most still require the re-use of some of the OE components.
      10-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
hazkirby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

B12
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 04:08 AM   #10
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You can get the Bilstein B12 setup for about £600 from Demon Tweeks. Really good setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90325iM-SPORT View Post
Coilover if you have budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
No one thinks of a coilover as literally coil over damper like the front, and very few aftermarket coilover kits actually change the rear to coil over spring anyway!

Either way, for £500 a spring and damper kit will be better, but you won't be able to adjust height obviously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
I would say buy the suspension that best suits your needs.

Are you happy with the ride height at present or are you looking to lower (and if so a little or a lot)?
Do you want adjustability in the suspension?

I think for normal road use then go with a good spring/damper setup, so B12 or koni/eibach combo etc.

There are coilover kits that can be had for your budget (and have good feedback).

Although technically you could refer to the front as being a coilover, the spring actually sits above the damper body whereas coilovers in the aftermarket world refers to an adjustable perch spring that sits round the body of the damper.
Rears still remain separate too.

Never seen a completely built aftermarket kit that can just be bolted in place as most still require the re-use of some of the OE components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazkirby View Post
B12
Thanks all for the help, I have a better idea now, will update once it is all done
      10-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #11
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

I have Bilstein B8 Sprint dampers and H&R springs (35mm front & 20mm rear)

Gives a great stance, which IMO is perfect for a daily as I still have full practicality for load carrying & entry to car parks etc.

My previous three cars I fitted Coilovers too and the temptation was always to lower the car more & more, and then before you know it, the car is too bloody low!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:12 AM   #12
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
I have Bilstein B8 Sprint dampers and H&R springs (35mm front & 20mm rear)

Gives a great stance, which IMO is perfect for a daily as I still have full practicality for load carrying & entry to car parks etc.

My previous three cars I fitted Coilovers too and the temptation was always to lower the car more & more, and then before you know it, the car is too bloody low!!!
Cheers, I think I'll be going for the koni/h&r combo, more to my budget.

Yes that was what I was afraid of, I will most likely do the same.