BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) GPS Updates

11-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

GPS Updates

I thought the X1 got it's map updates OTA when you had tech but apparently that's not the case from some things I'm seeing online. Disappointing as I was hoping to avoid shelling out as much money all the time.

Anyways, with my previous car (Acrua) I could get a link off of their site to the maps provider and got mailings when all the new maps are coming out. I've seen some references to the 2017 maps having recently dropped but I don't see any information on the BMW site.

What am I missing? There are been some pretty big highway changes which opened up in the last year or so around here which I would like to get included. This includes major things like off ramps switching sides of 5 lane highways (not helpful for the car to warn you to exit right when in fact you need to exit left).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
Pristineship
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 X line sDrive 20i

no LTE in X1 = no OTA
but you can update through USB
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

How do I get said updates and how much $$$ is it going to cost me?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
How do I get said updates and how much $$$ is it going to cost me?
If you create an account on the BMW Connected Portal you should be able to download any updates from there and install to a USB stick, which you can use in the car to upload the maps. No charge
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

We get 1 free map update per year for 3 years as standard here.
All via BMW Connected website
      11-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

Either I'm not seeing it or my Connected Drive portal is messed up. I'm logged into the portal and I see where all of the factory provided services are enabled and running for 4 years, there are two more services I can add, and how to send a destination to the car GPS.

I don't see any reference to updating GPS maps. Once your logged in what options are you selecting to get to maps? I'm wondering if my account is not setup correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Quote:
Either I'm not seeing it or my Connected Drive portal is messed up. I'm logged into the portal and I see where all of the factory provided services are enabled and running for 4 years, there are two more services I can add, and how to send a destination to the car GPS.

I don't see any reference to updating GPS maps. Once your logged in what options are you selecting to get to maps? I'm wondering if my account is not setup correctly.
In the Remote Cockpit view, under the Controls tab, there's a "Map update" section in my portal. See below...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

Cockpit view?

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #9
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Cockpit view?
Yes, should be in cockpit view. Although ConnectedDrive UK website has a different GUI, listed services and links should be the same.

You should have a "USB Map Updates" link in cockpit view. But if you don't... Well, you're not the only one. I'm in the same boat and don't see map updates on Connected Drive website either.

4 emails to BMW and still not a single reply. Production date is 28th SEP 2015 and were told before purchase that I would get free EU map updates for three years. Going to push them for a free update when I take the car in for service early next year. Can't be bothered to check my purchase documents right now. But if it's mentioned there and if they refuse to provide the free update, am going to make some noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

I called ConnectedDrive services last night and they pointed me to Tech Support but they won't be open for a couple hours. 844-443-6487

I'm going to swing by the dealership in a bit with my laptop and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #11
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I called ConnectedDrive services last night and they pointed me to Tech Support but they won't be open for a couple hours. 844-443-6487

I'm going to swing by the dealership in a bit with my laptop and see what they say.
UK ConnectedDrive Customer service also directed me to tech support, claiming it was a website glitch and free USB updates should be on the website. Tech support says the website is fine and I should contact customer service again and pay ~£60 for updates. We're going in circles basically.

This was all over the phone by the way. No replies to any of my emails so far (first one sent back in May).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #12
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Yes, should be in cockpit view. Although ConnectedDrive UK website has a different GUI, listed services and links should be the same.

You should have a "USB Map Updates" link in cockpit view. But if you don't... Well, you're not the only one. I'm in the same boat and don't see map updates on Connected Drive website either.

4 emails to BMW and still not a single reply. Production date is 28th SEP 2015 and were told before purchase that I would get free EU map updates for three years. Going to push them for a free update when I take the car in for service early next year. Can't be bothered to check my purchase documents right now. But if it's mentioned there and if they refuse to provide the free update, am going to make some noise.

What do you get when you click on "Control" (next to "Status" and "Map" on the upper left hand side ?

That is where I get the Map updater together with a few other functions..
      11-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #13
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
What do you get when you click on "Control" (next to "Status" and "Map" on the upper left hand side ?

That is where I get the Map updater together with a few other functions..
All the options are there except USB map update.
View post on imgur.com

Same on Windows/MacOS/iOS, different browsers, disabled adblock and other browser plug-ins. Whatever the problem is, it's on BMW's end.

Last edited by KPD; 11-05-2016 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #14
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
All the options are there except USB map update.
View post on imgur.com

Same on Windows/MacOS/iOS, different browsers, disabled adblock and other browser plug-ins. Whatever the problem is, it's on BMW's end.
USB Map Update needs to be "booked as a service" - on the status panel in the Connected Drive cockpit there is a link to the store, which shows the USB Map Updates as a bookable service. If you've already got this it should say "Booked".

In the UK all F48s with any sort of Nav come with 3 years free updates (So the service should be booked). AFAIK this has to be activated by the dealer when the car is sold, so if it's not there they need chasing...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
USB Map Update needs to be "booked as a service" - on the status panel in the Connected Drive cockpit there is a link to the store, which shows the USB Map Updates as a bookable service. If you've already got this it should say "Booked".

In the UK all F48s with any sort of Nav come with 3 years free updates (So the service should be booked). AFAIK this has to be activated by the dealer when the car is sold, so if it's not there they need chasing...
That's what I was told when I ordered my car (3 year free updates).

There are no USB map update options available in the store for me to book for free or even pay for. It's just not there at all. Everything else is already booked as part of my Nav Plus. Subscription ones are valid until the end of 2018.

EDIT: Sent them a fifth email and CC'd in customer.service@bmw.co.uk besides bmwconnecteddrive@bmwfin.com. Will update if I hear back. Going to have to get to the bottom of this eventually, as we're planning on driving to France in February and will need the new EU map before then.

Last edited by KPD; 11-05-2016 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #16
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Perhaps it doesn't show up because there's no update available? Maps are not all updated at the same time and varies depending on region and navigation version. So while some regions or some systems are on 2017 maps, not all of them will be.

It looks like 2016-2 is the latest currently available in Europe for the F48 system (EntryNav system, should be using the "Route" maps I believe). http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995629
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #17
Pristineship
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 X line sDrive 20i

Nav Plus also uses Route - I spent 10% of my FUP limit last Saturday to download the NEXT, the car even recognized it as map update but shortly stopped and said "maps are corrupted""

My car, manufactured end of September, came still with 2016-1,

now I am wondering if the dealer should make sure the maps are fresh before handing the car over...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 05:17 AM   #18
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Perhaps it doesn't show up because there's no update available? Maps are not all updated at the same time and varies depending on region and navigation version. So while some regions or some systems are on 2017 maps, not all of them will be.

It looks like 2016-2 is the latest currently available in Europe for the F48 system (EntryNav system, should be using the "Route" maps I believe). http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995629
I've got EU 2015-2A currently installed. 2016 A is the latest. Car was built on 28 SEP 2018, delivered on 24 OCT 2015.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #19
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

One last thing:

In the car, got to BMW Connected drive in the IDrive.
Then select Store
Check if MAP updates is there and if you can select/activate/book it.
      11-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #20
hart4bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive20i (2016)

Today i have update navigation Map.
I had Europe 2016-1 >> update to Europe 2016-2 with a usb stick.

Download in the BMW connecteddrive portal, remote cockpit view.
Installed with BMW update manager to my USB stick (32GB)
It was easy but cost a long time to unpack the map to the USB stick.
The map is 21,4 GB !

The update in the BMW X1 took exactly 30 minutes.

It was easy to do, and happy with the updated version....

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #21
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4bmw View Post
Today i have update navigation Map.
I had Europe 2016-1 >> update to Europe 2016-2 with a usb stick.

Download in the BMW connecteddrive portal, remote cockpit view.
Installed with BMW update manager to my USB stick (32GB)
It was easy but cost a long time to unpack the map to the USB stick.
The map is 21,4 GB !

The update in the BMW X1 took exactly 30 minutes.

[/IMG]

Wow, thats big

I updated 2 cars today as our 2017 maps are out.
Only 1.4GB
Took just a couple minutes to install on each car.
      11-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #22
hart4bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive20i (2016)

The online store's in Europe also sell :

# ROAD MAP EUROPA NEXT 2017-1
# BMW EUROPA MOVE 2017-1

What is the different ??

(The most recent version of my BMW X1 is now "BMW ROAD MAP EUROPE ROUTE 2016-2" on my online connectedDrive remote cockpit)

Appreciate 0