E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Losing oil under boost!!!

11-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
travis94ZX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Losing oil under boost!!!

I just replaced the oil filter housing/oil cooler gaskets a few weeks ago as I noticed a lot of gunk on the front of the engine and I have already shredded two belts. I noticed that there was still oil on the top of the filter housing. i figured the cap was old and seeping oil through the threads under higher oil pressures so I replaced that also.

I just did a road trip down to Austin for Thanksgiving (I live in DFW area). I decided to check the oil level on the dash about half way through the trip. It showed I was half a quart low. I happened to check it before we left and it was completely full as I just did an oil change a few days before the trip.

Here is the weird part...I have noticed this before. It is always after spirited highway driving when under sustained boost (i.e. in DS or manual mode and passing traffic). If I am just running around town and staying out of boost (for the most part), I don't notice any oil level drop. On the way back home it was 3/4 of a quart low after getting back on the highway and checking it again with some boost pulls through traffic. I pulled over and topped it off, however, it lost another 1/4 quart by the time I pulled in the driveway. WTH is going on!!!??? Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
is the car actually telling you to add or are adding because it shows a little low. I never check the oil level. if It tells me to add I will. 1 quart or less low will not hurt the engine at all. you could have a faulty oil level sensor.
      11-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

You may not be losing oil, it just may not have made it back to the pan yet to be measured. You should try to measure you oil under the same conditions each time, not hot one time, cold another, after heavy driving, etc...

For example, on the new 2.7 ford V6 turbo engine in the F150, it takes about 15 minutes for the oil to return to the pan after the engine is shut down.

Before you jump to a conclusion here, try measure the oil after the car has been sitting 10 minutes and see if you still show losing oil consistently.
      11-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

Just to be safe, only top up the oil when the car gives you the low oil warning. This will prevent overfills.
If it's not your oil level sensor and it only happens under boost, your turbo's seals may be on their way out.
How many miles? Original turbos?
      12-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
travis94ZX
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Just to be safe, only top up the oil when the car gives you the low oil warning. This will prevent overfills.
If it's not your oil level sensor and it only happens under boost, your turbo's seals may be on their way out.
How many miles? Original turbos?
The car has 97K on it. Turbos run strong. I have noticed oil drip in the garage toward the front of the car. I did the oil filter housing but there is still evidence of oil seeping from the filter cap. I replaced that, but it still appears there is residue on the housing. It is now evident that the oil pan may be leaking.

I just find it strange that after an oil change the oil level shows max. After about 100 miles of highway driving where driving more on the spirited side, it shows low.

Unfortunately, the oil level shows the spinning clock until the engine is at operating temperature.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
travis94ZX
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Also, correct me if i am wrong but if the oil seals on the turbos were bad, wouldn't this car be smoking like crazy from the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis94ZX View Post
I just find it strange that after an oil change the oil level shows max. After about 100 miles of highway driving where driving more on the spirited side, it shows low.
Do not add any more oil! Your sensor is most likely bad. Drain the engine, replace the sensor, and refill.