E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is there a fuse for the key fob?

11-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

Is there a fuse for the key fob?

So I installed the iluminated auto shift knob on my 2010 E90, after I installed it I went for a quick drive, got home then went to lock the car and nothing, tried the trunk button, dead as well. I thought it was the fob battery but this a new fob I just bought like 2 months ago, so I'm thinking I messed something up during the installation.

I tried putting the stock shifter back into place and it still nothing, the button on the center dash works and so does the physical key, same with the trunk switch inside, fob is just dead, I know the fob charges while in the ignition and just Monday I went for 1 hr+ drive so I don't think is the charge in the fob itself unless the battery is fried.

This is a non comfort access key so i can't just replace the battery. Anyone know if there is a fuse just for the fob or if there is a way to check if there is a signal coming from the fob itself, I tried searching but all I got was questions about the actual lock switch fuse which I already checked. I also found where some other models have a fob reset procedure I wonder if our cars do this.

Anyone has any ideas, Short of taking it to the dealer? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post
So I installed the iluminated auto shift knob on my 2010 E90, after I installed it I went for a quick drive, got home then went to lock the car and nothing, tried the trunk button, dead as well. I thought it was the fob battery but this a new fob I just bought like 2 months ago, so I'm thinking I messed something up during the installation.

I tried putting the stock shifter back into place and it still nothing, the button on the center dash works and so does the physical key, same with the trunk switch inside, fob is just dead, I know the fob charges while in the ignition and just Monday I went for 1 hr+ drive so I don't think is the charge in the fob itself unless the battery is fried.

This is a non comfort access key so i can't just replace the battery. Anyone know if there is a fuse just for the fob or if there is a way to check if there is a signal coming from the fob itself, I tried searching but all I got was questions about the actual lock switch fuse which I already checked. I also found where some other models have a fob reset procedure I wonder if our cars do this.

Do you have another fob? That way you could confirm it's the rechargeable battery in the fob.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
DoJu3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Do you have another fob? That way you could confirm it's the rechargeable battery in the fob.
I have another fob but the battery is dead, that's the reason I got this new fob, I just called BMW they have 2 year warranty on their fobs so if it turns out the fob is defective they will replace it free of charge, if is not the fob then I'm in the hook for the diagnostics fee plus whatever is wrong with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 01:36 AM   #4
SUBZER0
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Quote:

This is exactly what happen to mines, I bought the illuminated auto shift knob, when i was installing it, my doors were open and i kept pressing the unlock button on the fob to have the lights turn on to keep it from getting dark, after i was done installing it my doors wouldn't lock with both keys, the central button does lock/unlock the doors fine and the physical key itself does lock/unlock but the **keyfob** button doesn't lock or unlock and another thing was that the lights on my shift knob and bezel around it where you see (P-R-N-D) wont light up also...all this happen after i tried to install the shift knob. Both my keys are non comfort access and the battery are all charged up i know for sure they both use to work perfectly both keys didn't work after i installed shift knob.

If you get yours solved please let me know what it was, Thanks again!

Last edited by SUBZER0; 12-30-2016 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
DoJu3
Private
Rep

It's your car xdrive? Apparently the illuminated shifter is not compatible with xdrive for some reason. Unfortunately I found out after the fact.... now I'm just waiting for my appointment to see what the damage was.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 01:10 AM   #6
SUBZER0
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's your car xdrive? Apparently the illuminated shifter is not compatible with xdrive for some reason. Unfortunately I found out after the fact.... now I'm just waiting for my appointment to see what the damage was.
No my car is not xdrive but i still think we have the same thing going on, I had an illuminated knob installed before for about a year but one of the lights on the knob was flickering and looked like it was dying so i bought a new one and installed it i think i must have messed up during the installation and then my locks and unlocks would stop working from only the Keyfob.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
SUBZER0
United_States
Rep

remember to get back if you have an update on whats going on, Thanks again!
Appreciate 0